06-07-2012, 03:58 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
Today, thanks to the generosity of a fine gentleman on this forum I tried OSAGE tonic for the first time after my shave. I was immediately transported back about 50 years. It's funny how a smell can trigger all kinds of memories. At any rate I came out of my bathroom smelling like Chandler's Barbershop in Acworth, GA in the 50s and 60s. It was VERY pleasurable. This is the kind of thing that makes me look forward to shaving now instead of considering it a chore like I used to. Biggrin

0 396
 06-07-2012, 04:12 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Osage is fantastic stuff. Great scent and great performer. I too owe my love of Osage to two generous gentleman on this forum.

116 3,804
 06-07-2012, 04:46 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Osage is great and I also have taken a liking to Clubman After Shave and Talc. It's to bad barbers don't use any of this anymore. At least that's my expirence. The two barbers in my town use nothing.

45 3,955
 06-07-2012, 04:56 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-07-2012, 04:46 PM)tgutc Wrote: Osage is great and I also have taken a liking to Clubman After Shave and Talc. It's to bad barbers don't use any of this anymore. At least that's my expirence. The two barbers in my town use nothing.

I will try that one next! And yes, it's too bad this kind of thing is no longer common.

0 396
 06-07-2012, 05:25 PM
User Info
(06-07-2012, 04:46 PM)tgutc Wrote: Osage is great and I also have taken a liking to Clubman After Shave and Talc. It's to bad barbers don't use any of this anymore. At least that's my expirence. The two barbers in my town use nothing.

My barber still uses both, but he just turned 75. He also still trims the back of your neck with a straight. All for $7. The only down side is the wait. He started cutting hair when he was 15 and hasn't seen a need for a phone or an appointment book in 60 years. I always enjoy hearing his stories though...for a guy with no phone he sure knows everything in town Biggrin

0 221
 06-07-2012, 06:28 PM
User Info
It is amazing that a smell can trigger such strong memories. Of all our senses, our sense of smell has been proven to be the most potent in our recall of events in our life.

Clubman and Mennen Skin Bracer A/S are two that take me down memory lane in a heartbeat. Clubman for my early barbershop days and the Mennen with my father.

I will have to give the Osage a try sometime.

29 1,731
 06-13-2012, 07:48 AM
  • mcdidher
  • Bay Rum Beach Bum
  • Jackson, MS
User Info
I used Clubman aftershave and talc this morning. Takes me back to the barbershop with my dad.

0 14
 06-13-2012, 07:57 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I received some Clubman shampoo and hair tonic. True barbershop smell to me.
I need to add the aftershave and the talc for the full on experience.
I also got the Osage Rub but I'm afraid to try it based on what I've read here. A true face freezer of the strongest degree....?! Huh

Jeris and Master make hair tonics that have the barbershop aura, the Jeris more so and it lingers for most of the day.

6 905
 06-13-2012, 04:10 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
(06-07-2012, 06:28 PM)ridgerunner Wrote: It is amazing that a smell can trigger such strong memories. Of all our senses, our sense of smell has been proven to be the most potent in our recall of events in our life.

Clubman and Mennen Skin Bracer A/S are two that take me down memory lane in a heartbeat. Clubman for my early barbershop days and the Mennen with my father.

I will have to give the Osage a try sometime.

I can still remember Clubman and cigarette smoke when going to the Barber Shop with my dad. It's a great memory.

116 3,804
 06-13-2012, 06:41 PM
User Info
The Osage Rub feels good on these hot summer days. I feel the coolness in my fingers after the cooling effect leaves my face.

0 282
 06-13-2012, 06:46 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-13-2012, 06:41 PM)CaliforniaCajun Wrote: The Osage Rub feels good on these hot summer days. I feel the coolness in my fingers after the cooling effect leaves my face.

I agree! So far this is my favourite aftershave.

0 396
 06-14-2012, 06:57 AM
User Info
Osage Rub is great, and that strong cooling menthol kick is perfect for the hot summer. For the barbershop smell, Clubman is definitely great. It reminds me of the barbershop where I got my hair cut as a kid.

If you like the barbershop scents, you need to track down some Floid, either the Italian or Spanish versions, as they are definitely wonderful, barbershop-type scents.

34 122
 06-14-2012, 09:07 AM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-14-2012, 06:57 AM)alabamalawyer Wrote: Osage Rub is great, and that strong cooling menthol kick is perfect for the hot summer. For the barbershop smell, Clubman is definitely great. It reminds me of the barbershop where I got my hair cut as a kid.

If you like the barbershop scents, you need to track down some Floid, either the Italian or Spanish versions, as they are definitely wonderful, barbershop-type scents.

I will definitely try those. I think I'd like my first aquisition disorder to be for barbershop aftershaves and scents. Makes the whole shaving experience seem more "authentic"! Biggrin

0 396
 06-15-2012, 05:47 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
You could go far more wrong that with Floid. Smile

10 1,858