03-13-2015, 06:23 AM
User Info
Well, it looks like I'll have to eat my words.  I previously tried Voskhods in my Blue Tip SS and found the blades to be on the rough side, tugging and pulling rather than smoothly cutting.  Fast forward with a different razor, an EJ DE 89L, with a very different result.  This morning, I put in a fresh Voskhod and had a rather quick, cold water DFS shave!  Very little irritation - my fault for rushing and probably applying unnecessary pressure from the rushing.  A bit of balm, Which hazel and Clubman and good to go!  Great shave with NO nicks, blood and little irritation.  I suspect that when I take my time and am not running behind, these will be another silky smooth blades to use.  I do have to give some credit to the EJ razor for being a mild, yet versatile shaver.  I'm looking forward to trying these in an Ikon OC!  Now, it's off to buy a sleeve of 100 to stock up!

8 72
 03-13-2015, 08:30 AM
User Info
It's funny, i was just thinking about giving them another shot in my Edwin Jagger ED3D14BL as well. I too had a bad time with the Voskhod.

From my Tab through the Tap

1 1,975
 03-13-2015, 10:10 AM
User Info
I didn't like them in my old Muhle R89, but in my pre-war Gillette Techs, they are my go-to blade.  I've got 200 of them from the "deal" over on eBay!

21 555
 03-13-2015, 10:31 AM
User Info
These continue to be my favorites.  Use them in vintage Gillettes, both adjustable and non-adjustable.  Great, comfortable shaves.

Ed

22 752
 03-13-2015, 05:01 PM
User Info
I have just over 500 of them in my stash. I use them in a Weber, which is the only DE I use.

50 6,107
 03-13-2015, 11:55 PM
User Info
I've found the key is the lather with all the Rapira blades. When I used cella they rocked. Then I used a more difficult to lather soap for a while and wasn't impressed and put them off. Now I'm using Stirling and find them to be very smooth, forgiving, and sharp enough where they don't tug and give a comfortable amount of feedback.

My Polsilvers are sharper, smoother and last longer. However the Voskhods being slightly less sharp are much more forgiving and can allow me to apply just a slight amount of pressure for a closer shave. One of the first times I felt smooth after the second pass was with a Voskhod. Definitely a better value and I may sell off some of my Polsilvers to fund a large purchase.

4 146
 03-14-2015, 03:59 AM
User Info
lol i like voskhod... i have 40,000 of them (yes the number is correct i bought a whole case minus maybe 70-80 or so ive used)

as far as rapira i like the swedish supersteel the best out of them. the lux is a nice blade but in some razors they can be pretty harsh. ladas are okay not great imo. and i dont care for the cheap pink and blue rapira's they shave decent but for me they get tossed after just one use. my hair tears those up.

16 660
 03-16-2015, 03:41 AM
User Info
I've now tried them twice.  They're a decent blade, but to me still tuggier than a Swedish Super Steel and worse than GSB on both sharpness and smoothness.  I also prefer the Platinum Lux at the same price.  But given how smooth they are, I can see how with the right razor and the right face, they could work wonders.

7 84
 03-18-2015, 12:04 PM
User Info
I have just used three out of a give units box. The second one it was dirty and I throw it to the recycling box. But third one, the best blade on par (tie) with green Astra. I need to use other brands, but I will buy it in the future. Good blade.

1 112
 03-18-2015, 07:49 PM
User Info
(03-14-2015, 03:59 AM)mastershake Wrote: lol i like voskhod... i have 40,000 of them (yes the number is correct i bought a whole case minus maybe 70-80 or so ive used)

as far as rapira i like the swedish supersteel the best out of them. the lux is a nice blade but in some razors they can be pretty harsh. ladas are okay not great imo. and i dont care for the cheap pink and blue rapira's they shave decent but for me they get tossed after just one use. my hair tears those up.
OMG, that's a lot of blades! That would be 109 years worth of shaves if you changed blades once a day. Curious to know what possessed you to buy that many? Shavepocolypse?

0 35
 03-18-2015, 08:27 PM
User Info
i got a great deal on the whole case. honestly thats why. actually i had 5 cases, i sold off all but this last one.

16 660
 03-20-2015, 05:14 AM
User Info
They are one of my top 3 blades in a R41. Voskhod, GSB & Personna R.I.

15 98