06-08-2012, 12:09 AM
  • xraygun
  • Bainbridge Island
User Info
Hi guys,
I ordered a new G20 for my birthday. Here's a pic you may have seen with some of the other birthday loot(too dark to take a solo pic now):
[Image: 2012-05-23_18-54-14_169.jpg]
Anyway, it's a G20 and if you know what that is, it is. Love the looks and warmth.
BUT.... I'm having a hard time getting the lather I did back when I had the convoluted silver bowl and bain-marie setup.
I was using one of these(pic taken for one of the replaters to do it in gold):
[Image: 2012-04-17_16-01-21_264.jpg]
Sorry, wait I realized I didn't have a pic of the Bain-marie handy and had to take one. Here it is, it's electric.
[Image: 2012-06-08_00-59-23_180.jpg]
With the top off you and the bowl in there even without water you can get the scale better:
[Image: 2012-06-08_00-59-34_718.jpg]

So that's the background. What I'm not getting is temperature wise the bain marie and the G20 are probably about the same.
BUT, my lather isn't exploding like it was with the silly over produced silver bowl bain marie setup. Same loading time for soaps. Same amount of cream. Same brushes. WTF?
I am flabbergasted. Anyone have any helpful input as to why my lather is so significantly reduced? I can post comparative photos if necessary, I just figure there is something about using a scuttle that I'm not grasping? Is it the constant direct heat? When I use a silver bowl to lather I'm holding it in my hand and then let it warm, so I get that difference. But how do I get huge piles of lather out of the cool G20?

I welcome you input however sarcastic!

5 270
 06-08-2012, 05:06 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
First off Ray Happy Birthday. The G20 scuttle is beautiful. The method for making lather in a scuttle is to fill the scuttle with water including the inner bowl. Nuke for about 60-75 seconds. What I do if I am using soap is load a damp brush with soap and then empty the water from the outer and inner bowl( too hot a scuttle will destroy the lather). Start mixing the soap in the scuttle and add a small amount of water to the mix as Necessary. Don't over due it. You should be able to make a lot of lather. I basically use the same method with shave cream. With any new shave gear you have to play around to see what works best for you. GT has done a good job with their new G20 scuttle.

100 12,449
 06-08-2012, 09:25 AM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
I fill both upper and lower chambers of the scuttle for a few minutes, then empty and refill lower with hot water and proceed to make lather.

135 1,947
 06-08-2012, 11:52 AM
User Info
I usually just fill both chambers with hot tap water, and then fill up the lower one again just before I begin lathering.

About your lathering issues: could the width:depth ratio of the bowl versus the scuttle account for a difference in lathering? What I mean is that you seem to have more room to whip your brush around in the bowl, whereas you're more constrained in the scuttle.

Don't give up on it. It's just a matter of figuring out what to do to get it to work properly.

37 1,731
 06-08-2012, 12:35 PM
  • xraygun
  • Bainbridge Island
User Info
I've been filling it in the sink with hot water, corking it and letting my brush soak. Then I dump the water out of the lathering bowl. I've just left the water in the bottom part. Warmth is good.
Yohann I think is right about the whipping area. It certainly is deeper and narrower. I can't imagine how a smaller scuttle would even work.
I'll keep trying.

5 270
 06-09-2012, 12:08 AM
User Info
Try a smaller brush with a long handle. That will help.

I have a Chubby 3 that I can use in my scuttle, but it certainly is constrained there. I use a lather bowl when I use it, because that gives me more room to work with.

Small scuttles tend to be brush scuttles. They're there to keep the lather warm, but you're supposed to face-lather with the brushes, not build it in the scuttle itself.

37 1,731
 06-09-2012, 12:18 AM
  • xraygun
  • Bainbridge Island
User Info
I shall bust out the Emperor.

5 270