03-13-2015, 03:38 PM
User Info
Received a customized sampler pack of new blades consisting of: Kia-SS,
Personna - Platinum,
Polsilver-Super Iridium,
Wilkinson- Sword (German), Crystal,
Voskhod-Telfon, and
Astra

I'm currently using an EJ DE89 and this my second sampler pack. Lately I've been leaning more towards Astra although Feather has been very good too.

Any suggestions on the order I should try? Thanks for the advice!

0 27
 03-13-2015, 04:06 PM
User Info
Just hit them how you see fit. I try and go by what i hear the last good about, up to what seems to work for most.

From my Tab through the Tap

1 1,975
 03-14-2015, 01:31 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(03-13-2015, 03:38 PM)flrubi Wrote: Received a customized sampler pack of new blades consisting of: Kia-SS,
Personna - Platinum,
Polsilver-Super Iridium,
Wilkinson- Sword (German), Crystal,
Voskhod-Telfon, and
Astra

I'm currently using an EJ DE89 and this my second sampler pack.  Lately I've been leaning more towards Astra although Feather has been very good too.  

Any suggestions on the order I should try? Thanks for the advice!

Save the KAIs (I assume that your reference to “Kia-SS” meant KAI) for last, because once you have used the KAIs, you won’t have any use for the other blades.

0 1,049
 03-14-2015, 01:54 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I divide all DE blades into four general categories: Super-sharp, Sharp, Medium-sharp and mild. No category is better or worse, but the classification helps identify what type of blade your skin and hair works with best. I have tried all categories. Feather is in the Super-sharp and Derby is in Mild. I can get a good shave with any blade, but it is much easier and more comfortable for me to use medium and mild blades. I also do not rotate razors very often. I think that's key to good shaving. I shave with the same razor for months. I learned that once I found a razor I can use for a year exclusively I can pretty much load any blade at all in it and get a BBS. But I do better and with less irritation with mild and medium blades. From blades you listed:

Kai - Super-sharp
Personna-Platinum - if you mean blue wrapper "Lab" or "Med" blade, then it's Sharp category, if another Personna, I have no experience
Polsilver SI - Sharp
Wilkinson Sword (German) - mild
Voskhod-Teflon - I have no experience
Astra - Medium

As excellent as Kai and Polsilver and Personna Labs are, I avoid them and go more for Astra, Derby, Lord, Wilkies, Ladas, Sharks, etc. Your needs and preferences will differ I am sure, but it would be simpler to identify the sharpness level of a blade and not think about smoothness and other attributes as those are mostly dependent on your razor and technique. Also, some blades can be badly aged and you won't know by looking, but they'll have a thin coat of corrosion or other deposits from sitting around and those will feel bad on your skin. Concentrate on technique and don't worry so much about the blades. Most of the improvement in your shave hides there, not equipment.

Enjoy the process!

26 1,736
 03-15-2015, 06:46 PM
User Info
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the advice and recommendations!

0 27