06-08-2012, 03:24 AM
User Info
This is a open question to all the straight shavers here, what's your favourite strop, i have a few paddle and hanging strops but my favourite are the two bench strops i made from 4mm natural vegetable English pit tanned leather a 1/2 piece of hardwood 3 inches wide and 24 inches long i love the length of draw i get from this strop, it's a pleasure to use, and so easy as well, i also have 4 pieces of sticky velcro attched to the table and the strop so it stays where it's suppose to, but quite easily removed for storage.

Jamie.

[Image: 005.jpg]
[Image: 004-2.jpg]

5 1,809
 06-08-2012, 03:31 AM
User Info
Those bench strops look really good. Good job on making them.

I only have hanging strops, and I have several of those.

I have three in the bathroom:

1) Sears Shell strop (Vintage strop that's my go-to strop)
2) Hand American Bridle leather strop
3) Legion's Roo strop (backed in cowhide)

In the closet I have:

1) SRD Premium 1
2) Tony Miller Latigo
3) Vintage leather strop
4) Another Roo strop (also from Legion)

The Sears has the lowest draw, and is my 'finishing' strop. The Roos have the greatest draw, and they are tough, so I use customs on them. The SRD is a great strop that I use mostly for my customs too. The HA and TM strops are a real pleasure to use, that fill in my intermediate-draw needs. Most of these strops have a second component - either linen/canvas or felt.

37 1,731
 06-08-2012, 11:53 AM
  • safaripete
  • A New Yorker, far from Home
  • Central, Oregon
User Info
I have a Tony Miller Latigo, a VB latigo, and a old red Russian. These are all hanging strops. After looking at your 2, 2 footers. I want one........or two. How did you fix the leather to the wood? Is it fixed at the ends or the entire length.

Very nice job!
Regards!
Safaripete

0 56
 06-08-2012, 12:03 PM
User Info
I don't know how Jamie fixed the leather on his bench strops, but I've used spray mount in the past for paddle strops. Works fine.

37 1,731
 06-08-2012, 12:03 PM
User Info
I need a drill press! Hmm.....father's day!

37 1,731
 06-08-2012, 12:04 PM
User Info
(06-08-2012, 11:53 AM)safaripete Wrote: I have a Tony Miller Latigo, a VB latigo, and a old red Russian. These are all hanging strops. After looking at your 2, 2 footers. I want one........or two. How did you fix the leather to the wood? Is it fixed at the ends or the entire length.

Very nice job!
Regards!
Safaripete

Hi Pete, well to start with you will need a perfectly flat piece of hardwood plank, 1/2 inch X 3 inch X 24 inch, then cut your piece of leather to the correct size either exactly the same size or slightly smaller length wise, now dry fit, if you are happy with the fit then apply contact adhesive to both the wood and the leather, now place the leather face down on a very smooth hard surface and clamp tightly and leave for 24 hours, job done.

Jamie.

5 1,809
 06-08-2012, 01:17 PM
User Info
I like my SRD paddle strop. I have a Dubl Duck hanging next to the sink. I'd love to try the Roo strops, but don't have the cash right now.

9 451
 06-08-2012, 01:24 PM
User Info
I have a few, but my favorite is my kanayamo/kanayama.

2 59
 06-08-2012, 01:39 PM
User Info
Wow, Jamie, that is a beautiful looking and well-made strop!

75 20,883
 06-09-2012, 11:36 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
I have a Kanayama 80000, and I've owned 2 TMs but now I only have 1. I also have a RupRazor strop and WhippedDog strop.

I think the heavier grinds work better on the Latigo, with its heavier draw, while the full hollows work best on the Kanayama.

TMs are beautifully made strops built to last. With his prices, I can't see buying any of the other brands (other than Kanayama)

the Kanayama is outrageously expensive. But its really a work of art. The craftsmanship is incredible. Its an absolute joy to use. Its like comparing a Theirs Issard to a Gillette Fusion. Both get the job done, but there is the whole experience, the pleasure, the pride of ownership, the tradition. Kanayama (to me) is to other strops what wetshaving is to carts and goo

9 541
 06-14-2012, 02:38 PM
  • Edson
  • Artisan Razor Restorer
  • Oregon
User Info
I have 5 total strops -

Kanoyama 60K
Kanoyama Fine Stars
Scrupleworks Swedish Bridal
Scrupleworks Horsehide
Tony Miller Horsehide

The Kanoyama's are the finest strops I've ever used and hence why I own 2 so that I have a backup someday. They have the lightest draw of any I own. I find myself using the Swedish Bridal a lot these days as it is a supple piece of leather and has medium draw. The Scrupleworks HH also has an interesting draw that is hard to describe. Almost makes a scratchy sound during stropping. I like it quite a bit and love the linen component of these more than my others or any I've used. The TM is relegated to travel strop as it is my shortest strop and also the one I like least in the draw department. It is also the only one I own with D-handles and the rest are classic barber ends that I prefer much better.

11 185
 06-16-2012, 01:38 PM
  • PAW
  • Wet Shaver Addict
  • Illinois
User Info
My fav is Ambrose

0 197