03-14-2015, 05:14 AM
User Info
Here's a recipe I've used a few times. It is extremely simple and takes very little time to prepare (though you do have to let it simmer for a while).
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 medium celery stalk, small dice ( I replace these three veggies with a frozen veggie mix). 
  • 1 medium carrot, peeled and small dice
  • 1/2 medium yellow onion, small dice
  • 3 medium garlic cloves, minced (it's best to use fresh garlic cloves).
  • Kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 quart low-sodium vegetable broth (I use any broth - beef, chicken, whatever)
  • 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes with their juices
  • 1 1/4 cups lentils (any color except red), rinsed (Mung is good, as it cooks faster)
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves (dried works well too)
  • 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar

INSTRUCTIONS

1) Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until it shimmers. Add the celery, carrot, onion and cook - stirring occasionally until the veggies have softened - about 10 min. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute, Season with salt and pepper. 

2) Add the broth, tomatoes with their juices, lentils, bay leaf and thyme and stir to combine. Cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and let simmer for about 30 mins, or until lentils are cooked. 

3) Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Stir in vinegar. You can add spinach or other greens at this point, if desired.

4) You can leave the soup as-is for a chewy texture, or use a wand blender and blend a portion of the soup to make it thicker. Adjust the liquid content to your preferences. I use water at this point, but you can use stock as well. 

This recipe was picked up from the internet, but it was really good (and easy), so I thought I'd mention it to you guys. It's pretty hearty, and is great with cheesy bread sticks. Makes a filling meal.  

37 1,743
 03-14-2015, 10:11 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
That sounds delicious, Yohann.  I really like soup but never think to make it for myself.

2 11,211
 03-14-2015, 10:47 AM
User Info
I'm not a fan of lentil taste but I just add parmesan cheese and it is delicious!

18 713
 03-14-2015, 12:41 PM
User Info
Lentils can taste different, depending on what lentils you use. I've made several lentil soups/stews, and not liked most of the recipes I tried prior to this one, which is why I posted the recipe here.

I'm Indian, so I usually make various versions of 'dal' when I prepare lentils. They form the base of our usual diet (for the vegetarians in India). 

37 1,743
 03-14-2015, 01:54 PM
User Info
Sounds good, but then, I like most bean soups.

Lots of folks don't know that bay leaf is a secret ingredient for bean soup. It makes a the difference between an "also ran" and a winner. I can't describe the difference, but I know when it's missing. :-) It took me a few years (many decades ago) before I realized what the difference was between Moms bean soups and mine. Once I realized it I was dialed in.

32 6,470