03-14-2015, 03:24 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Alright...for those with a compatible device, who's buying one?  I'm just curious about everyone's perspective... Blush

34 1,628
 03-14-2015, 03:40 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I have no desire for one.  Everything it can do, my regular wristwatch (which I wouldn't be without) and my smartphone can already do so there is my compatible device.  I'm saving my money for a new laptop and it's between the new MacBook and the MacBook Air.  My needs are fairly simple so I'll wait until next month, when I can play with both at the local Apple Store, and then decide if the price difference is worth it.  However, an Apple watch... Meh!  Yawn

2 11,211
 03-14-2015, 04:16 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I have a hard enough time telling the difference between the big hand and little hand.  Afraid this watch is not for me.

175 23,752
 03-14-2015, 04:19 PM
User Info
Not a fan of Apple + there is only so much I care to be integrated/rely on with technology. 

147 3,465
 03-14-2015, 04:22 PM
User Info
Nope! Not interested. 

37 1,743
 03-14-2015, 05:07 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
I love Apple stuff, but I do not see this in my future. I use maybe 10% of my iPhone's functionality. I don't think it will do anything that I can't live without.

60 843
 03-14-2015, 05:21 PM
User Info
No way.  Not only because I'm an Android user and can't stand Apple, but I think it's ridiculous.

I like how the high end one tops out at over $15000.  I can buy a car for that.

8 2,718
 03-14-2015, 05:24 PM
User Info
Not me. I rely on my phone as my pocket watch. I've never owned a real watch in my life. I'm not a fan of Apple. I had a white MacBook and I loved it but I don't think I can buy another apple product due to their annoying business model.

18 713
 03-14-2015, 05:31 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
But wait......the Apple watch has a razor app and can shave you while you are texting and driving....so there....wear one on each hand for the "real" effect.......total useless crap for Apple fans.

6 1,995
 03-14-2015, 05:37 PM
User Info
Apple watch, no... LG webOS watch... Maybe. If the watch sells well, maybe they'll make another webOS phone - hopefully before my current one dies.

0 1,055
 03-14-2015, 08:27 PM
User Info
What's an apple watch?!  Biggrin

82 21,056
 03-15-2015, 03:51 AM
User Info
(03-14-2015, 08:27 PM)celestino Wrote: What's an apple watch?!  Biggrin

Its like watching paint dry. Just with apples. Biggrin

147 3,465
 03-15-2015, 04:05 AM
  • Thug
  • South Africa
User Info
I see that Apple have incorporated an Apple Watch app in their latest version of iOS 8.2

Damn annoying if you ask me because you can't delete it.

0 403
 03-15-2015, 04:09 AM
User Info
I'm withholding judgment. I remember the reaction to the iPad was that it was the solution to a problem that didn't exist. And now it's very difficult to argue that the iPad hasn't been transformative. I've seen them used extensively in classrooms and even courtrooms.

By coincidence in relation to the Apple Watch, my longtime casual watch finally broke down recently so I had given some thought to just getting it. Unfortunately it sounds like it has an 18 hour battery life at its best and that seems a bit too annoying to be an early adopter. Maybe subsequent versions of they can extend battery life (I remember my first iPhone barely making it through most of the workday).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

84 1,505
 03-15-2015, 06:53 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(03-15-2015, 04:09 AM)jpakstis Wrote: I'm withholding judgment.  I remember the reaction to the iPad was that it was the solution to a problem that didn't exist.  And now it's very difficult to argue that the iPad hasn't been transformative.  I've seen them used extensively in classrooms and even courtrooms.

I agree with this point Josh...I really thought the iPad would be a complete flop and boy was I wrong! And in hindsight, "of course" we needed something like that  Biggrin

I love tech/gadgets, and personally I'm undecided on the Apple Watch.  I just switched my mobile platform from Android to iOS when the latest iPhone came out, and the jury is still out on the level of my commitment to one platform or another.  So one of the barriers of entry for me is single platform functionality...and that goes for both Apple products and Android.  Yes, there are some watches that perform basic functions on both platforms, but their execution is poor IMO.

Another barrier for me right now is price...the one I'd want is $1100, and I just can't see paying that much to a) test it out to see if this is indeed a device that adds value, and b) a "watch" that will have a finite life, versus a traditional timepiece that can last a lifetime.  

I can see the value in a smartwatch for me because I typically carry bigger phones (iPhone 6+, Galaxy Note 3 &4, etc...) and they stay in my pocket. I can't tell you how many time I was at the grocery store with my shopping list complete waiting in line to check out, pull out the phone and sure enough there a message from my wife "oh I forgot, can you also get ___." A watch notification would have been welcome  Blush . 

I may end up taking one for the team and picking up the $350 model just to see if something like this will be a game changer for me or not...I'm sure I can always put it on an auction site and get most of my money back if the answer is a resounding NO. It is the first smartwatch that I feel is properly executed, so if this concept will ever take hold, I believe it will be with this product   Biggrin

34 1,628
 03-15-2015, 07:23 AM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
I like mechanical watches so I'm going to stay away from the apple watch for now.
Being a runner I kinda like the idea of it measuring vitals automatically. I use the health app but currently input everything manually.

2 517
 03-15-2015, 09:08 AM
User Info
My issues with smartwatches (and I've tried a few) are:

1) Battery life - even the Pebble was annoying to charge every 5 days or so. Other watches need to be charged every day. That got old quickly.
2) Novelty wears out - They were all exciting for the first few days, but then the novelty wore out and I realized that I had to turn off most notifications as I couldn't be bothered about them when I was at work or enjoying myself outdoors. 
3) Lack of variety and character - I have many mechanical watches, and they all have character. The smartwatches have to be worn to be useful, and I found that they just sat on my dresser while I used the more elegant watches I already had. 

What was good:

The only useful thing was getting messages from my wife when I was out. I didn't miss her texts and messages she sent me were acted on while I was still out (usually to do with groceries, etc). That was quite truly the only use the smartwatches had for me. I found that other messages (emails, etc) were all not vital enough for me to be notified of them all the time on my wrist.  

The Apple watch has all the drawbacks of these other smartwatches and it is pretty ugly (to my mind), so I'm not interested in it. Once they get a sleeker design and better battery life, I'll reconsider my resistance to buying one. Until then, I won't miss it. 

37 1,743
 03-15-2015, 12:00 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
You bring up excellent points Yohann...particularly about the novelty factor.  I am all too aware of that initial excitement over a new product/innovation, and once it wears off regret creeps in.  

Many times I was tempted to pick up a Pebble, Samsung Gear, and more recently the Chronowing from HP/Michael Bastian.  I feel like I would have a harder time unloading one of those if I don't like it vs. an Apple product, which typically has a cult following to some extent. 

I'm hoping Apple gets it right, because if they don't I have a feeling the concept of a smartwatch is dead... Confused

34 1,628
 03-15-2015, 03:48 PM
User Info
Giorgio - You don't have to worry about the Apple watch - it will be a hit regardless of how good or bad it is, as a lot of the Apple fans will buy anything Apple releases. Even of only a tenth of the iPhone users shell out the money for the watch, that's many millions that will be sold. 

37 1,743
 03-15-2015, 08:45 PM
User Info
It is a good thing I don't wear watches!  Biggrin

82 21,056