03-15-2015, 06:46 AM
  • ncguy1
  • TARHEEL
  • North Carolina
User Info
Does the Proraso Sensitive skin products make a difference for those of you who use them? I would like to be able to shave every day but my sensitive skin(mainly my neck) just won't allow it. Well I guess I could shave every day with the grain and not get a smooth shave from it but that's not what I'm after.

18 260
 03-15-2015, 06:49 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I do use the sensitive pre-shave cream and balm.  I've never tried the soap or cream.  The pre-shave and balm are very nice.  My neck is also sensitive and every other day I just do two with the grain passes and it is plenty close for me.  After the skin cools off a lot of that roughness you feel goes away.

178 23,809
 03-15-2015, 07:04 AM
  • ncguy1
  • TARHEEL
  • North Carolina
User Info
I saw your SOTD post Johnny and wondered if you liked using it.  I think I'll start trying the EOD two passes with the grain and see if that helps me as well.

18 260
 03-15-2015, 03:09 PM
User Info
For me, a combination of the right soaps (and Proraso sensitive soap, along with the pre-shave is excellent), along with proper razor and blade (currently, for me, a Schick Injector is one of my best options, although I'd love a Mongoose) is what works. Also, a good aftershave balm for sensitive skin (I'm actually liking Dove) works well. Shaving every day can actually help, if you find the right combination. Of course, be sure to go one pass, lather between, etc. for me, as well, I only do WTG and XTG never ATG (and I get really close shaves). For many, ATG will not be good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 50
 03-15-2015, 04:23 PM
  • ncguy1
  • TARHEEL
  • North Carolina
User Info
Yeah I'm still working on the blade/razor combo. I've been using a Parker 92r but I've just switched to a Fat Boy E2 to give it a try. I've got some Red Personna blades on the way because I've heard that they were good for sensitive skin. I've tried Wilkinson,Feather HS and Astro SP blades as well. I'm using a homemade pre-shave oil (grape seed..ect) which has helped and Proraso green tub soap. My aftershave really needs improvement as I have just been using Afta and Gillette for sensitive skin.

18 260
 03-15-2015, 04:57 PM
User Info
How about a change in razors? I have sensitive skin and my skin prefers SE razors-- Schick, GEM, and Ever Ready.

18 713
 03-15-2015, 06:48 PM
  • ncguy1
  • TARHEEL
  • North Carolina
User Info
(03-15-2015, 04:57 PM)fram773 Wrote: How about a change in razors? I have sensitive skin and my skin prefers SE razors-- Schick, GEM, and Ever Ready.

I haven't really looked at any of the SE razors but I'm not against giving them a try.

18 260
 03-16-2015, 01:00 PM
User Info
(03-15-2015, 04:57 PM)fram773 Wrote: How about a change in razors? I have sensitive skin and my skin prefers SE razors-- Schick, GEM, and Ever Ready.
I would second this. I have sensitive skin and just discovered these great SE razors (I have a vintage Schick Injector and a GEM G-bar) - they are awesome, give a closer shave with no irritation (and after a few weeks, better skin condition). Now, I'm just waiting to get my hands on a Mongoose!!!  You can get all sorts of Schick Injectors (and new blades), but the vintage ones are pretty cool!

0 50
 03-16-2015, 01:11 PM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
IMHO - Proraso sensitive products are Ok but not great

17 535
 03-16-2015, 02:39 PM
  • ncguy1
  • TARHEEL
  • North Carolina
User Info
I'll give a SE razor a go and see how I like it.

18 260
 03-22-2015, 06:14 AM
User Info
I've got a few: a Gem g-bar, a Schick Injector, and a Gem Junior. I have a Clog-Pruf on the way. They're all excellent. Not as much blade choice, but most find the coated stainless steel excellent for the Gem, and the yellow pack of Schick Injectors (on Amazon) to be great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 50
 03-22-2015, 10:46 AM
User Info
I got the sensitive skin Proraso, used it once, and never touched it again. To my skin, a well-formulated tallow soap with shea or kokum butter (looking at you B&M and Strop Shoppe) does far more than whatever Proraso adds.

16 1,027
 03-22-2015, 11:03 AM
  • ncguy1
  • TARHEEL
  • North Carolina
User Info
(03-22-2015, 10:46 AM)crazindndude Wrote: I got the sensitive skin Proraso, used it once, and never touched it again. To my skin, a well-formulated tallow soap with shea or kokum butter (looking at you B&M and Strop Shoppe) does far more than whatever Proraso adds.

I've used the white Proraso preshave myself now and for some reason it really burns/irritates my skin.The green Proraso preshave tingles somewhat but doesn't turn my skin red. My skin definitely had a reaction to the white. I'm still using the soap and aftershave balm though without issues.

18 260
 03-23-2015, 03:04 AM
User Info
(03-22-2015, 11:03 AM)ncguy1 Wrote:
(03-22-2015, 10:46 AM)crazindndude Wrote: I got the sensitive skin Proraso, used it once, and never touched it again. To my skin, a well-formulated tallow soap with shea or kokum butter (looking at you B&M and Strop Shoppe) does far more than whatever Proraso adds.

I've used the white Proraso preshave myself now and for some reason it really burns/irritates my skin.The green Proraso preshave tingles somewhat but doesn't turn my skin red. My skin definitely had a reaction to the white. I'm still using the soap and aftershave balm though without issues.

Same here. white Proraso  burns me and iritates like mad, yet I have no issues with green and red. Guess there are different kinds of sensitive skin.

0 69
 03-23-2015, 05:37 PM
  • ncguy1
  • TARHEEL
  • North Carolina
User Info
Yeah I guess so.  It really was disappointing not to be able to use this because I liked the smell of it more than the green but my neck and face turned blood red and burned.  I wonder if others have had this reaction to the white pre-shave Proraso?  Oh well,I'll stick with my homemade pre-shave oils for now.

18 260
 03-24-2015, 02:37 AM
User Info
Luckily I didn't care for white's scent anyway Smile I dropped the preshaves and do a hot towel over lather barber trick which actually makes the most improvements in my routine

0 69
 03-24-2015, 01:39 PM
User Info
(03-24-2015, 02:37 AM)blakadder Wrote: Luckily I didn't care for white's scent anyway Smile I dropped the preshaves and do a hot towel over lather barber trick which actually makes the most improvements in my routine

Can you expand on this? Sounds like you lather up once, then put a hot (wet?) towel over the lather. Is that better than just the towel alone, or showering first?

16 1,027
 03-25-2015, 02:57 AM
User Info
(03-24-2015, 01:39 PM)crazindndude Wrote:
(03-24-2015, 02:37 AM)blakadder Wrote: Luckily I didn't care for white's scent anyway Smile I dropped the preshaves and do a hot towel over lather barber trick which actually makes the most improvements in my routine

Can you expand on this? Sounds like you lather up once, then put a hot (wet?) towel over the lather. Is that better than just the towel alone, or showering first?

I do the regular shower prep and then lather my face and put a wet hot towel over it, most of the lather disappears but the process softens my whiskers and leaves a slick layer on my skin. Exactly what preshaves are supposed to do. Then I proceed as normal with my shave.

0 69
 03-26-2015, 01:14 PM
User Info
(03-25-2015, 02:57 AM)blakadder Wrote:
(03-24-2015, 01:39 PM)crazindndude Wrote:

I do the regular shower prep and then lather my face and put a wet hot towel over it, most of the lather disappears but the process softens my whiskers and leaves a slick layer on my skin. Exactly what preshaves are supposed to do. Then I proceed as normal with my shave.

Ah, interesting. I ought to try this - not like I'm so short on soap that I can't afford to "waste" one pass!  Biggrin

16 1,027
 03-26-2015, 01:52 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
In reference to the lather and hot towel, this is a post I made in another thread:

Quote:Best shave ever was years ago when I would go to my 82 year old barber every Saturday.  May he rest in peace.

Not sure I can remember everything he did, but it went something like this.

HOT towel soak
Some kind of oil or lotion
More HOT towel soak
Hot lather from a Campbell Lather Machine
More HOT towel soak

Lather from a Campbell Lather Machine
3 passes with a Double Duck Straight
Fresh lather in between passes
Another HOT towel soak
Then an ICED COLD towel soak
HESS After Shave Splash - Damn I smelled good
And a final pat down with some talc

That was my shave every Saturday morning for almost 20-years and I truly miss those days.

178 23,809