03-15-2015, 02:51 PM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
.... i need assistance from the brush experts on this forum..........

.......are there any inexpensive brush imitations of the Chubby?

...........the real Chubby is definitely out of my price range,  so is there a poor man's version out there anywhere?

46 1,066
 03-15-2015, 03:02 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
The only Chubby is a Chubby. :-D

I've owned a lot of different brushes, and a lot of Chubby wannabes. (Stubby, Tubby, Snubby, Schlubby, even a Duke 3) I was still surprised when I got my first Chubby, as it was unlike any other brush I had ever tried, or have tried since.

Still, as unique as the Chubby is, it isn't necessarily the "best" brush. I use mine from time to time, and I enjoy it, but it's not my favorite. I have several brushes I prefer to the Chubby which are less expensive.

22 828
 03-15-2015, 03:03 PM
User Info
I think New Forest made some, and I've always been very happy with the 3 New Forest brushes that I have.  I think Fido makes a run of brushes, sells them and then moves on to a new design...at least that's how it used to be, I believe.

http://newforestbrushes.blogspot.com/201...bby-1.html
http://newforestbrushes.blogspot.com/201...bby-2.html

40 5,830
 03-15-2015, 03:19 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I guess I say what I say above because I remember when I started wet shaving, I just assumed that the Chubby was the best brush. It certainly has a great and well-deserved reputation. But you don't have to spend that much money to get a good brush.

In my opinion, the best regular in-stock, non-custom brush is a Thäter 4125/2 or 3. Some of the best, absolutely luxurious, consistent and well-made knots available, at any price. Still not cheap, but a truly top-tier brush that you could have by Tuesday.

If you were looking to spend less money, but still get a very good knot, check out Vintage Blades house brand or Whipped Dog. Not quite as high quality of s knot, but less than 1/3 of the price.

If you don't mind a bit of a wait, Chief Broom makes an amazing brush (Paladin) stuffed by Lee Sabini that's as good as any knot I've ever used, but there is a bit of waiting involved, and no storefront to speak of.

If you still want a Chubby, save up and get a Chubby. :-D There really is no substitute.

22 828
 03-15-2015, 04:05 PM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
....thank you, gentlemen for all the great suggestions....................

...........i'll follow up on all the ones you mentioned..........
..........but i fear that going with a real Chubby is the only way..........

46 1,066
 03-15-2015, 04:15 PM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
...is Chief Broom a member of this forum?

46 1,066
 03-15-2015, 04:26 PM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
(03-15-2015, 04:15 PM)leonidas Wrote: ...is Chief Broom a member of this forum?   never mind........i found him on the forum....

46 1,066
 03-15-2015, 05:07 PM
User Info
(03-15-2015, 04:15 PM)leonidas Wrote: ...is Chief Broom a member of this forum?

Yes he is.

8 2,718
 03-15-2015, 05:29 PM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
...thank you, Bruce.

46 1,066
 03-15-2015, 05:35 PM
User Info
(03-15-2015, 02:51 PM)leonidas Wrote: .... i need assistance from the brush experts on this forum..........

.......are there any inexpensive brush imitations of the Chubby?

...........the real Chubby is definitely out of my price range,  so is there a poor man's version out there anywhere?

I am in agreement that NOTHING can replace a Chubby.  However, I understand that they are on the expensive side. If I were in your position, I'd look into having one of our artisans make a "Chubby" for you.  You can select whatever knot you'd like and set the loft, choose the dimensions and handle material and color etc.  You can dial it in to create whatever you want and come in well below the price of what you'd have to shell out to acquire a Simpson Chubby.

74 2,274
 03-15-2015, 05:47 PM
User Info
Harry, what is your price point and what size Chubby are you looking for? This might help. 

83 21,077
 03-15-2015, 06:12 PM
User Info
Chubby 2 Synthetic is your answer.  

I have Manchurian, 2 Band, 3 band Super and the Synthetic, the synthetic deserves it's place in the line up and is an awesome brush. 

23 475
 03-15-2015, 06:17 PM
User Info
(03-15-2015, 06:12 PM)mixershave Wrote: Chubby 2 Synthetic is your answer.  

I have Manchurian, 2 Band, 3 band Super and the Synthetic, the synthetic deserves it's place in the line up and is an awesome brush. 

I've been wondering about this synthetic.  I detest all other synthetic brushes I've tried due to lack of backbone.  How does the Simpson Synthetic stack up? How would you characterize the knot?

74 2,274
 03-15-2015, 07:48 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Well, I'm not sure how much you'd actually save, but Shavemac D01 Silvertip is about as dense as the Simpson Super Chubbies and in many cases will have softer tips (depending on the luck of the batch).  There really is nothing else that compares and believe me I've tried a lot of different brushes.  That said, the Chubby is borderline too dense and I'm not sure I would be happy with this as my one "premium" brush choice. 

145 2,752
 03-15-2015, 08:08 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I would have to chime in and say that, in my opinion, the CH2 synthetic is nothing like a traditional Chubby. I'm not knocking synthetic brushes: I have several, and they absolutely DO deserve real consideration. The 4th generation synthetic fibre is incredibly soft, has great backbone, and if set properly, makes a wonderful brush. But they are very different from badger brushes, and while definitely worth owning, no substitute for a Chubby.

Chubbies are very, very dense. Some may say too dense, but that is a matter of opinion. It is their defining quality. Extremely dense, yet extremely fine hair. This is a little difficult to verbalized but I'll try. :-) Unlike all other brushes I've tried, Simpsons hair has the defining characteristic of being not "bouncy." If I take a damp Simpsons brush and shake it to one side, the hair will stay a little bit lopsided, rather than going back to its original shape on its own. Another test is that you can (very, very carefully) drop a dry brush 1-2 cm over a hard surface, onto its knot. (Carefully keeping your hand around it, so that it won't fall over!) Most other brushes will bounce a little, and if you're not holding them, they would tip over. A Simpson, however, will hit the surface with a "thud" and stay there, not moving. I believe this is because the hair is very dense and very fine.

Again, this is not necessarily a "good" or "bad" characteristic. It depends on your preference. But I have never seen another brush, including other /.*ubbies/, that behaved this way. It's their secret sauce.

On the other hand, if you took any Gen 3 or Gen 4 synthetic (including Simpson) and dropped it knot-first onto a hard surface, it would probably bounce back higher than where you dropped it from. Wink

22 828
 03-15-2015, 09:59 PM
User Info
(03-15-2015, 06:17 PM)merkur man Wrote:
(03-15-2015, 06:12 PM)mixershave Wrote: Chubby 2 Synthetic is your answer.  

I've been wondering about this synthetic.  I detest all other synthetic brushes I've tried due to lack of backbone.  How does the Simpson Synthetic stack up? How would you characterize the knot?

It has backbone, however you need to press down slightly to splay the knot. I have the newer version brush with a 54mm knot so it's fine. 

The one thing I will say is that most synthetics don't have a soul, like the Muhle 25mm synthetic. They work brilliantly however feel empty, like they have no personality. I've never felt this way about the Simpson Ch2 synthetic, not sure if it's Simpson heritage or just the people from the Isle of Man making them. They're seriously good and a bargain, it's the only synthetic worth having in my opinion (I have 2 Muhle and 1 Plisson synthetic).   

23 475
 03-16-2015, 05:09 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
One option you might look at are the artisan Romera brushes from Spain (Aremor on the forum).  I have two now and his 28mm and 30mm "Chubbies" are wonderful brushes.  Well made Manchurian knots at a great price.   

42 1,041
 03-16-2015, 05:24 AM
User Info
(03-16-2015, 05:09 AM)VTMAX Wrote: One option you might look at are the artisan Romera brushes from Spain (Aremor on the forum).  I have two now and his 28mm and 30mm "Chubbies" are wonderful brushes.  Well made Manchurian knots at a great price.   
Aren't those Romero brushes quite costly?

8 2,718
 03-16-2015, 05:30 AM
User Info
(03-16-2015, 05:09 AM)VTMAX Wrote: One option you might look at are the artisan Romera brushes from Spain (Aremor on the forum).  I have two now and his 28mm and 30mm "Chubbies" are wonderful brushes.  Well made Manchurian knots at a great price.   

My favorites knots are Simpson  Manchurian, M&F Finest and Romera Manchurian.

8 1,683
 03-16-2015, 05:53 AM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
......i've heard that the Romera brushes are great..... but yes, very pricey................

46 1,066