03-15-2015, 03:16 PM
User Info
I am loving the SE GEM G-bar razor I picked up a few weeks ago. I bought some sample packs to try out blades. I started with the GEM stainless steel, pretty good. Next I moved to the coated stainless steel (PTFE) and it was one of the closest yet most comfortable shaves I've experienced. From there I had a carbon steel and blue carbon steel blade left in the sample (I have four of each blade just in case there was a dud). Both carbon steel blades were horrible, like the worst shave possible! Very tuggy and seemed almost dull. By mid afternoon my wife wondered if I had shaved (although she knew I had). I tried another blade of each just in case and equally bad. Went back to the coated stainless steel today and amazing!

So, just wondering what others have experienced in this (are the carbon blades just horrible) and what has been your best SE blade for these vintage razors. Also, where to you recommend to buy them (available outside of the U.S.)?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 50
 03-15-2015, 03:25 PM
User Info
I've used Treet carbons and GEM Blue Stars. Horrible. Tuggy, dull, and rough. I am a big fan of the PTFE blades though. Sharp, smooth, and very comfortable. They may cost twice as much as some DE Blades but they are a good value because they last so long. Inside and outside of the US, Connaught Shaving in the UK is a very good source for the PTFE blades.

18 713
 03-15-2015, 06:41 PM
User Info
GEM SS ptfe blades here too.

There are decent carbon steel blades available through CVS and they are good, but they rust quickly if not attended to after the shave.

I'm not a huge fan of carbon steel blades. They can be good, but they'll rust and be worthless for shaving just with atmospheric moisture and a bit of time. Maybe that's what you got.

Dittos Connaught or Ted Pella or dang, there's another US source (EMS?), but Connaught had the best price even with delivery in the US.

32 6,445
 03-16-2015, 05:12 AM
User Info
I use both types and get great shaves with either.  It's one of those YMMV things I reckon.  I do believe that all the SE blades are made by US Personna and rebranded as required.  Might be wrong on that but don't think so.

4 952
 03-16-2015, 05:30 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
(03-15-2015, 06:41 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: GEM SS ptfe blades here too.

Idem dito, couldn't shave with the carbons.

28 1,433
 03-16-2015, 06:30 AM
User Info
(03-15-2015, 06:41 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Dittos Connaught or Ted Pella or dang, there's another US source (EMS?), but Connaught had the best price even with delivery in the US.

I'm not sure how they do it... Made in the USA, shipped to UK. And then back again and they're still cheaper than US vendors? This seems to be a trend that Euro vendors are much cheaper than US vendors.

18 713
 03-16-2015, 09:26 AM
User Info
That's correct, less expensive even with all of that shipping. Or it was correct at one time. I haven't bought blades in a long time.

32 6,445
 03-16-2015, 12:45 PM
User Info
Thanks all, usually I agree that certain blades like certain people (and beard types), aggressiveness, etc., but I just figured these were so bad that I couldn't be the only one. Thanks (I think, lol) for the Connaught Shaving suggestion - tons of great stuff there but I've trying to avoid RAD, lol (was not successful in the past months, but was happy because I discovered some great SE razors, GEM and Schick Injector, while waiting for Mongoose sales to start again (I've missed out on several here in the Buy and Sell due to not living in the US, and the prices on eBay when and if they do come out are pretty crazy...). Thanks again.

0 50
 03-19-2015, 07:48 AM
User Info
   Yes , the Gem ss ptfe work great, lotsa shaves out of each blade. I was surprised that Connaught was cheaper than here. I got them fairly fast from them.

2 226