03-17-2015, 02:08 PM
User Info
There is a center of brush nally from the mid 17hundreds.
As brushmaking more and more diminished, a museum collected the dedicated machines
as  translated via Google from:

http://www.nordbayern.de/region/ansbach/...-1.3013208

Quote:In modesty, they call themselves "Germany's brush and brush museum " and  only in distant Japan documented a similar museum the history of the brush and brush making. [note: translation brush and brush, because these are two different words (scrubby brush and painting/fine brush), both translated as brush into English]

Quote:For over 250 years, brushes are manufactured in Bechhofen. Johann Caspar Buhler, a carpenter on the roll has learned the craft of brush-makers in distant France and "exported" the knowledge of it in 1751  to his new home,  to Bechhofen. Bitterly poor was the area, the soil was barren, hunger great. Only a portion of dexterity and a little place in a warm room were needed to produce in homework and brush to earn some extra money.

40 factories produced once in the heyday Bechhofens Brushes, today there are at least ten companies and that deliver all over the world, says Hans Zahn. The nationwide only vocational school for brush and brush-making is based in Bechhofen. With heart and soul is the museum, which receives no government grants and is funded solely by donations and entry fees, Created: On four levels around 3000 exhibits tell the history of the industry, with which everyone comes into contact on a daily basis.

Here is the very basic catalogue from a local craftsman;   there are actually quite a few quality shaving brushes made, and sold on local markets.

http://www.bock-pinsel.de/pdf/feinbuerstenflyer_11.pdf

There is some reports on Bock brushes on the German shaving forums, as I found those today, I wanted to share. The reports are focused on great value for money.
I am proud to have this old craft around my corner, hope to see it in person soon. Sadly nothing is heard on the internet, it is like hearing about japanese craftsmen all dedicated to their trade,  without being connected to modern technology. 

Philipp

with kind regards to Gustavo Romera in Spain

21 1,175
 03-17-2015, 02:22 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
There seems to be several German brush makers that don't get much press.  I have or have owned some nice brushes from DR Dittmar, Gold Dachs and Victoria and there are several other brands as well.  I've never heard of this one, but I'm sure you could find several other brands to share with us as well.  In order to find the above I googled with translated searches and have done the same in French and Italian as well (Italy has several brush manufacturers that I had never heard of also).

148 2,821
 03-17-2015, 02:31 PM
User Info
Dr Dittmar is a trader as far as I know, Gold Dachs also. No idea who makes brushes for these. Probably whoever makes the best entry offering...
The below mentioned craftsman has produced some brushes for Erbe, as I read on the forums. BTW I am no expert on Baier Brushes, the cheaper ones are imported goods IMO.

Now for these small traditional producers in Bechhofen:

It is fascinating indeed. And the prices are also rather good. Because there is no middle man. I hope to see some of that in person soon. Smile It is not far from me, I may be able to take some pictures and maybe  show some brushes.

Here is a picture that is not mine and not hosted by me, just for you who are as curious as I am:
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/1139/bckchen1lo2.jpg

21 1,175
 03-17-2015, 02:33 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I forgot Hans Baier as well. 

Do you have any insight as to who makes the brushes for Dr. Dittmar and Gold Dachs? 

148 2,821
 03-17-2015, 07:18 PM
User Info
I have my German handle!  Acquired it two years ago! Biggrin

[Image: Io76vc.jpg]

83 21,110
 04-04-2015, 01:53 AM
User Info
Stunning, Celestino. The photo by itself, by the shaving gear in it and more so by the combination. And it is from this time of the year.....

.Smile

p.s.: related to the Bechhofen brushes are the brushmakers in the Nuremberg area. Another thread on the VP Leonhardy brushes from Nuremberg is here
http://shavenook.com/thread-vp-leonhardy...ht=brushes

Happy Easter weekend!

Philipp

21 1,175