03-17-2015, 04:36 PM
User Info
I have very small hands. So small that even small size gloves have fingers that are longer than mine.  I have some 6/8 razors, some 9/16, and one that is even smaller and I haven't measured it.  I find that because I have small hands, the smaller razors work better for me because I can strop them much easier.  They are so much easier for me to hold onto as I roll my wrist than a larger blade. 

Is this something that all of you guys with smaller hands experience, or is there a trick to guys with smaller hands being able to strop a larger blade comfortably?  Keep in mind, I'm in my 60's, and my hands don't work as well as they used to. Not an excuse, just the way it is.  I'm posting this because if there is no real trick to learn, than I'll probably part with my 3 6/8 blades in favor of smaller.

0 33
 03-17-2015, 05:04 PM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
You have to use what is comfortable for you. I find most razor sizes strop equally well rolling between my index finger and thumb. For larger razors the space between is greater. 

7 450
 03-18-2015, 07:13 AM
  • Doc226
  • edge snob (and proud of it)
  • Smallest State
User Info
I think most blades are pretty uniform in distance from the pivot hole to the back of the edge-around 40mm.  The size and thickness of the tang is where there is a lot of variation.

10 130
 03-20-2015, 02:48 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
How small are we talking here?

A mustache razor might work for you..  the razor is about 2/3 the size of a traditional straight so you have not only smaller form factor, but smaller cutting edge.  

Case XX Mustache Razor.. click the image for more pics..
[Image: 2013-08-11%20Case%20XX%2002-M.jpg]

Another option, with a little cool factor thrown is finding a DePews-Perfect Razor.  I know quite a few gents who use and love the DePews.  I had one a few years ago and ultimately sold it because it was too small for my mits..  It's sized like a mustache razor with a REALLY long monkey tail.  Sorry I don't have better pictures of these two..

DePews~The Perfect Razor.. click the image for more pics..
[Image: 2013-11-06%20DePews%2002-M.jpg]

33 914