06-08-2012, 10:48 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I'm having a roof put on my house today thanks to Hail Damage. One of the roofers was in the house checking on the ceilings for leakage and walked into my bathroom and saw my brushes and DE's. He said he had a few DE's and shaves every day with a straight razor and Edge Gel and a brush. I asked if he used soaps or creams and he didn't even know they made them. I sent him home with a Shavette that takes Injector blades, a puck of Vintage Williams, 2 pucks of Modern Williams (he asked for them lol), a tube of Anthony Logistics shave cream, a tube of the Body Shop Shave Cream, and a new Tube of CO Biglelow along with a shaving mug. I showed him how easy the BSSC and CO Bigelow were to lather and he was impressed. He left with a bagful and a smile.

116 3,804
 06-08-2012, 11:31 AM
User Info
That's very kind of you, did you tell him about all of the OCD shavers that dwell online? He would probably enjoy SRP, although you may have just unintentionally destroyed any future savings account. Now I kinda feel bad for the guy. LOL

9 451
 06-08-2012, 11:42 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Nah I never mentioned online. He didn't strike me as an "online" type of fellow. He said he shaved with his granddads Torrey Straight razor every other day. Oh I forgot I gave him a stick of Arko as well.

116 3,804
 06-08-2012, 12:05 PM
User Info
Good man, Dave! I'm sure he'll enjoy the stuff you gave him. I hope he doesn't start with the new WIlliams!

37 1,731
 06-08-2012, 01:20 PM
User Info
Excellent job, Dave!

75 20,883
 06-08-2012, 01:23 PM
User Info
did he give you a discount on your bid for the roof work?

2 59
 06-08-2012, 01:25 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
That's great. I've always wished there was someone at my work who was into wet shaving like I am.

45 3,955
 06-08-2012, 01:31 PM
User Info
I need to go into the roofing business.

0 123
 06-08-2012, 01:54 PM
User Info
The IT guy the works in by building for school is one. I walked into his office one day and he had a limited edition semogue 2010 sitting in a just opened ups box on his desk.

4 309
 06-08-2012, 01:58 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Biggrin
Thanks for sharing, Dave!

I am sure he is a bit whelmed with where to start Aaaaa

9 1,684
 06-08-2012, 02:04 PM
User Info
I get fantastic shaves with new Williams,got a big stack of it stored,I'm set for years to come...doin' it with those fancy soaps is taking the easy way out Biggrin

Very cool thing to do Dave

7 414
 06-08-2012, 02:08 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Nah no discount just passing a few good items onto someone else. I told him if he wanted to try anything else and I had it, he was welcome to it. The Shavette I gave him was one I kept around for when I got the desire to try straight shaving again. I'd put an injector blade into it, cut my face good, then put it back in the drawer. It was a good "anti-straight" honestly.

116 3,804
 06-08-2012, 04:37 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Well done Dave!

There is a gent I work with that has recently "seen the light." He has found it difficult sourcing decent hardware here in Australia. He's happy with his current set up, but I'm sure the blade sampler I handed over the other day is likely to get him visiting the web sites I also happened to mention!

91 17,798
 06-08-2012, 05:35 PM
User Info
Great story!

I was golfing today and one of the gentlemen I was playing with asked what I do? I mentioned I had a wet shaving business...

He said... "What is wet shaving?"

I said... "Shaving with water, a good shaving soap or cream, using a shaving brush"

He said... "Oh! I use Trumper's cream and a boar brush, and a Merkur safety razor"

I said... "Then you are a wet-shaver, my friend!"

I guess the term "wet shaving" isn't that popular because even people that do wet shave, don't know it.

3 315
 06-08-2012, 05:44 PM
User Info
(06-08-2012, 05:35 PM)RazoRock_Joe Wrote: Great story!

I was golfing today and one of the gentlemen I was playing with asked what I do? I mentioned I had a wet shaving business...

I said... "Shaving with water, a good shaving soap or cream, using a shaving brush"

He said... "Oh! I use Trumper's cream and a boar brush, and a Merkur safety razor"

I guess the term "wet shaving" isn't that popular because even people that do wet shave, don't know it.

The term "Wet Shaving" has never felt right to me.Unless one's using an electric razor any other method including using a Gillette Fusion and canned foam pretty much involves water,so really it's all technically "wet shaving" I think what we're doing is somehow deserving of a better name....

7 414
 06-08-2012, 06:34 PM
User Info
(06-08-2012, 05:44 PM)razorx Wrote:

The term "Wet Shaving" has never felt right to me.Unless one's using an electric razor any other method including using a Gillette Fusion and canned foam pretty much involves water,so really it's all technically "wet shaving" I think what we're doing is somehow deserving of a better name....

I tend to agree... need another name for describing shaving with a brush and soap/cream.

3 315
 06-08-2012, 06:39 PM
User Info
(06-08-2012, 06:34 PM)RazoRock_Joe Wrote:
(06-08-2012, 05:44 PM)razorx Wrote:

I tend to agree... need another name for describing shaving with a brush and soap/cream.

I refer to it as Traditional Shaving since I agree that almost all other shaving is still using water and thus is wet shaving. Heck, even now there are electrics that are designed to be used with water. Traditional is the best descriptor I've come across but if there's something better, then let's find it!

31 7,912
 06-08-2012, 06:52 PM
User Info
Dave, a kind and generous offering! Thumbsup

29 1,731
 06-08-2012, 07:40 PM
User Info
(06-08-2012, 05:44 PM)razorx Wrote: The term "Wet Shaving" has never felt right to me.Unless one's using an electric razor any other method including using a Gillette Fusion and canned foam pretty much involves water,so really it's all technically "wet shaving" I think what we're doing is somehow deserving of a better name....
(06-08-2012, 06:34 PM)RazoRock_Joe Wrote: I tend to agree... need another name for describing shaving with a brush and soap/cream.

The potential is there to help more men see there are older...better ways to shave that have sttod the test of time

(06-08-2012, 06:39 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: I refer to it as Traditional Shaving since I agree that almost all other shaving is still using water and thus is wet shaving. Heck, even now there are electrics that are designed to be used with water. Traditional is the best descriptor I've come across but if there's something better, then let's find it!
Traditional Shaving...I really like that,the first thing that it brings to mind is my Dad and his Gillette TTO,those memories are a powerful image.Links to the past are priceless

(06-08-2012, 06:52 PM)ridgerunner Wrote: Dave, a kind and generous offering! Thumbsup
It was a great thing for Dave to do,thanks for pointing this thread back on the right path

7 414
 06-08-2012, 08:37 PM
User Info
Some of the nicest folks inhabit the shaving forums. Kudus to you Dave!

About Wet shaving... I mentioned that on a forum with a completely different subject matter and got folks responding who used cartridges. So I began calling it blade shaving. I like traditional shaving better though. Maybe traditional blade shaving to remove any doubts from minds.

Razorx, used right Williams is a fantastic soap, stillnot high end, but much better than normal. Used to just build normal lather it's just OK. I was amazed when I built an ultralather with it just how good it was. I decided then and there to buy some more of it. Of course my store doesn't stock it any more; VDH instead. If you haven't tried an ultralather with Williams you owe it to yourself to try it. Use much more than you need for lather, and when hydrating it stop when it gets to a creamy and moist cake lather consistency. It will be hydrated, but not fully hydrated to build the huge amount of lather that amount of soap would normally make. It won't leave the skin soft and supple, but just finish off the shave with something that does.

32 6,308