06-08-2012, 11:57 AM
User Info
I don't know of any local barbers that offer traditional shaves and always thought the idea was pretty cool. There's an AoS store here locally that offers shaves that I might visit on my next day off of work to see how well it's done. expensive at $35 for the shave, but I think the experience will be a fun one.

has anyone else got a shave in the AoS stores?

40 5,830
 06-08-2012, 12:16 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
They use a shavette supposedly Andrew and finish you up with a Fusion or Mach Whatever. That's the only bad things I've ever seen about them.

116 3,804
 06-08-2012, 12:47 PM
User Info
I don't know how the one by you is set up, but at the Maul of America in Minneapolis, their shop is a stand-alone store in the middle of the concourse with windows all around. If you were to get a shave there, you'd have everyone walking by looking in at you. No thanks.

0 836
 06-08-2012, 01:23 PM
User Info
i have contemplated it, but the prices here in Vancouver are $60 and up. Needless to say, i can get 3-4 great Semogues for that!Biggrin
Maybe at some point, though.

75 20,883
 06-08-2012, 02:32 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
35 dollars for only a shave???? Lord that sounds high. My wife has cut my hair for 38 years so obviously I am way out of step with current prices. I would never have guessed this price though.

0 396
 06-08-2012, 03:29 PM
User Info
(06-08-2012, 12:47 PM)5Savages Wrote: I don't know how the one by you is set up, but at the Maul of America in Minneapolis, their shop is a stand-alone store in the middle of the concourse with windows all around. If you were to get a shave there, you'd have everyone walking by looking in at you. No thanks.

I believe that's how the AoS store is set up in the local mall near me, too. I wish there was a local barber that gave traditional shaves, but I'm not aware of any.

If anyone knows of a barber in the Philadelphia area that still shaves clients, let me know and I'll check it out!

(06-08-2012, 02:32 PM)uncledave Wrote: 35 dollars for only a shave???? Lord that sounds high. My wife has cut my hair for 38 years so obviously I am way out of step with current prices. I would never have guessed this price though.

that's just the cost for a shave, not a haircut plus a shave. Tongue

40 5,830
 06-08-2012, 04:08 PM
User Info
(06-08-2012, 12:47 PM)5Savages Wrote: I don't know how the one by you is set up, but at the Maul of America in Minneapolis, their shop is a stand-alone store in the middle of the concourse with windows all around. If you were to get a shave there, you'd have everyone walking by looking in at you. No thanks.

Actually, I've had 'Mustache Jim' give me a shave at the Mall of American location, and he did a great job! You don't really even realize that passers-by might be looking in the window, as you get your shave. Jim DID NOT use a mach 3 or Fusion at all... he did use a stainless steel Dovo shavette. As a matter of fact, I've never had any AOS barber use a mach 3 or fusion, only shavettes. I recommend getting a shave at the Barber Spa locations inside the AOS stores.

(06-08-2012, 02:32 PM)uncledave Wrote: 35 dollars for only a shave???? Lord that sounds high. My wife has cut my hair for 38 years so obviously I am way out of step with current prices. I would never have guessed this price though.

The shaves today, at many of the men's salons and modern barbershops are not like they were done 30 years ago. The luxury shaves offered today in the upperscale shops, are a fantastic way for a guy to sit back and relax, and get pampered. Our luxury shaves at The GROOM ROOM, take nearly an hour: filled with lots of hot towels, shave oils, warm lather, the aftershave routine, then the facial part. It's aa fantastic way for any man to take some time away, lay back in the barber chair, and enjoy the shaving experience while drifting away.

I recommend viewing Mantic59's youtube vids showing his 'high-end' shaves in Vegas.

0 28
 06-08-2012, 08:10 PM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
I would call around barber shops until you find one that does traditional shaves. I'm in Columbus and stumbled along one. $10 for a shave. $35 to me seems unreasonable (especially if they finish with a Fusion). That's more than my SOC.

0 353
 06-09-2012, 01:17 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I tried at the local place that I get my hair cut at. He used a shavette with an Astra blade. I've been back many times for a haircut, but never again for a shave!

91 17,823
 06-09-2012, 07:43 AM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
I got a shave at the AOS store in Glendale at the Americana, which is an outdoor mall, so the store is a traditional storefront without windows all around. The gentleman was a third generation barber and was excellent. I was told it is against the health code now to use a traditional straight razor, so they have to use a disposable (not sure, but I think it was Dovo).

He also did a little touch-up during the shave with one of the motorized Fusions, but most of it was the disposable straight.

Ultimately, it was an excellent shave and kind of fun. Definitely a luxury! It was comparable to one of my better shaves--not the absolute best, but pretty damn good.

I found myself instinctively wanting to "help" him by manipulating my face around (stretching) as I do when I shave. Tongue

The place I get my hair cut (a traditional barber shop near my home) also does "Steam Towel Shaves" now for $25. One of the guys that does it used to work at an AOS.

52 785
 06-09-2012, 09:21 AM
User Info
I gave one of my sons-in-law a gift cert for a shave at an AoS store. He enjoyed the shave and the pampering. I am told that if you take your own straight in with you, many places will use it because you are only being subjected to your own germs so there are no health concerns -- if you believe the rationale about germs living on a straight to begin with.

15 316
 06-09-2012, 02:05 PM
User Info
(06-09-2012, 09:21 AM)slackskin Wrote: I gave one of my sons-in-law a gift cert for a shave at an AoS store. He enjoyed the shave and the pampering. I am told that if you take your own straight in with you, many places will use it because you are only being subjected to your own germs so there are no health concerns -- if you believe the rationale about germs living on a straight to begin with.

I've been asked if I will use a customer's own personal straignt razor. I always answer 'No'. Now, before we all get roared up here, allow me to explain why.

I am so very used to using my Dovo shavette. It is an extension of my own hand. I know its weight, its balance, its 'feel' in my hand, and I know exactly how it strokes. It is the shaving tool that I am completely comfortable with.

If I were to use a different razor, one that I am not used to wielding, I now have to go through a learning curve with that new tool. A different razor will exhibit a completely different feel, will have a completely different weight and balance point, and will stroke completely different. The razor's feedback will be different. The end result, will be completely different. My whole hand will have to learn the new 'ergonomics' and nuances of a new razor.

Did I always use my Dovo shavette? No, but after acquiring one, and learning how to shave with one, taught me that this is the razor for me. Now, if I put a different brand of blade (I use Feathers) in the Dovo, then it will shave differently. The feedback from the razor will be different, and the end result will be different. Also, not all shavettes are equal... believe me, I've tested nearly every shavette available, and have found the Dovo to work the best for shaving at The GROOM ROOM.

0 28
 06-09-2012, 02:11 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
(06-09-2012, 02:05 PM)TheGRman Wrote: I've been asked if I will use a customer's own personal straignt razor. I always answer 'No'. Now, before we all get roared up here, allow me to explain why.

I am so very used to using my Dovo shavette. It is an extension of my own hand. I know its weight, its balance, its 'feel' in my hand, and I know exactly how it strokes. It is the shaving tool that I am completely comfortable with.

If I were to use a different razor, one that I am not used to wielding, I now have to go through a learning curve with that new tool. A different razor will exhibit a completely different feel, will have a completely different weight and balance point, and will stroke completely different. The razor's feedback will be different. The end result, will be completely different. My whole hand will have to learn the new 'ergonomics' and nuances of a new razor.

Did I always use my Dovo shavette? No, but after acquiring one, and learning how to shave with one, taught me that this is the razor for me. Now, if I put a different brand of blade (I use Feathers) in the Dovo, then it will shave differently. The feedback from the razor will be different, and the end result will be different. Also, not all shavettes are equal... believe me, I've tested nearly every shavette available, and have found the Dovo to work the best for shaving at The GROOM ROOM.

Also, what if the customer's razor is not shave-ready? He may think it's sharp enough, but maybe it doesn't have a decent edge.
Good point--the tools should be chosen by the one wielding them.

52 785
 06-09-2012, 02:31 PM
User Info
(06-08-2012, 08:10 PM)Brent Wrote: I would call around barber shops until you find one that does traditional shaves. I'm in Columbus and stumbled along one. $10 for a shave. $35 to me seems unreasonable (especially if they finish with a Fusion). That's more than my SOC.

actually, I looked around and found a few shops in Philadelphia who offer straight shaves. After emailing a few and browsing their websites, it appears that $35 is roughly the going rate in my area for a barber shave.

edit: of course after opening my mouth, I found a place even more local to me that offers a two pass straight shave for $25!

http://www.originalcuthut.com/services.php

40 5,830
 06-10-2012, 06:27 PM
User Info
If I was looking to have someone put a straight against my face, I don't know that I'd be looking for the cheapest guy necessarily.

0 120
 06-16-2012, 08:34 PM
User Info
I had one done at the AOS over 1.5yrs ago. It was a nice experience in pampering. From what I remember, they used a straight razor and gave a good shave.

0 140
 06-22-2012, 11:45 PM
  • jss
User Info
The barber is always absent whenever I pass the local AoS..So I don't give it much thought....

Julian

0 264