06-08-2012, 12:05 PM
User Info
Evening all,

A few days ago, I managed to get hold of the first razor I had used when I first started shaving. It's a NOS Gillette sensor excel.

In quite looking forward to seeing how it shaves now I have an improved shaving technique and use a proper soap and a brush.

Which leads me to think, out of all the cartridge razors you may have tried, in your opinion, which cartridge razor gives you the the best shave?

7 1,176
 06-08-2012, 12:41 PM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
The sensor excel was my first razor and the only cartridge that I liked. I always got a decent shave from it and perfered it to the Mach 3.
That being said I can't imagine going back to a cart now that I use DE.

2 500
 06-08-2012, 01:21 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I used the Sensor as well. I hated the Mach 3. I think the Sensor, Atra, and Trac II are all good cartridge razors. It's funny that the cartridge razors keep getting and worse and they keep going up in price.

45 3,955
 06-08-2012, 01:21 PM
User Info
i have only ever tried the BICs when i used them and they were aweful! i used an electric for twenty years before starting this great ritual. Good luck with your Sensor.

74 20,793
 06-08-2012, 02:40 PM
User Info
TRAC II. It does not pivot or flex so you reduce the chances of it going in a direction you don't expect. The after market handles are great and the cartridges are good and plentiful.

I have many TRAC II handles but this one is my favorite.

I head shave also and this works well because it is substantial and gives you some reach with the length.

[Image: 41hPxVKaaoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

1 2,827
 06-10-2012, 05:31 AM
User Info
The Schick Slim Twin was my favorite back in the late eighties, and I used it until I couldn't get refills for it at my local store. I'm really impressed with Schicks latest offering the Hydro-3. With it I can get a smooth comfortable shave without any razorburn suffered afterwards. The lube reservoir is a little over the top but it does subside after a few shaves. So far I have gotten 25 shaves from a cartridge with daily stropping on a piece of silicone rubber. The cartridge is still giving me a comfortable smooth irritation free shave, and the only downside is that the lube reservoir isn't putting out any lube. This isn't a big deal when you use a good soap or cream.

6 617
 06-10-2012, 07:57 PM
User Info
The only cartridge razor that ever worked for me is the Gillette Trac II. It still left a lot to be desired. A twin blade disposable also worked pretty well, but I only used that razor twice. I tried an Atra a few times, but the shaves were irritating, uncomfortable and not close at all. Even the Trac II frequently gave me nicks, but the shaves were reasonably comfortable and smooth overall.

0 303
 06-10-2012, 08:01 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
The best cartridge I ever used was the original Gillette Atra I think. 2 blades. It gave me about as good a shave as I was getting from my DE, but I didn't know how to really use the DE at the time.

I'm probably wrong, but my memory is that the quality of the shave is inversely proportional to the number of blades Huh

0 396
 06-11-2012, 02:29 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
a big +1 on the Trac II and Atra. I've had both and they work great for full shaves and touch ups.

116 3,804
 06-17-2012, 05:32 PM
User Info
I've got a porcelain Atra handle with matching stand for razor and brush and love how it shaves! If I'm in a hurry, cartridges are only about a quarter and last for a good 3 shaves. It's been a nice addition to the den.

0 6
 06-18-2012, 04:30 PM
User Info
I use an American Safety Razor M5 when i go cartridges. Sometimes i like to switch back and hit reset. They do shave a bit cleaner i must say
than d e 's

5 273
 06-18-2012, 05:45 PM
User Info
Without a doubt, the Gillette Guard. I've done the Mach3, the Fusion, the Sensor, and the Guard beats them. I never used the Atra or Trac II though.

0 836