03-19-2015, 06:54 AM
User Info
I am looking for someone to replace the handle on my Feather DX non-folding razor. Present grip is just to small.

6 166
 03-19-2015, 07:01 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
You might check with some of our Artisans to see if they could do it. Three that come to mind are Rudy Vey, Bob Quinn of Elite Razor, and Mycarver. But there are also others.

http://shavenook.com/showartisan.php

Good luck. I would be interested if this can be done and what it would look like.

179 23,925
 03-19-2015, 07:36 AM
User Info
(03-19-2015, 07:01 AM)Johnny Wrote: You might check with some of our Artisans to see if they could do it.  Three that come to mind are Rudy Vey, Bob Quinn of Elite Razor, and Mycarver.  But there are also others.

Good luck.  I would be interested if this can be done and what it would look like.

Appreciate your quick response.  I will definitely let you know. One must make accommodate for age.  Hands don't work like they used to.

6 166
 03-19-2015, 07:45 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(03-19-2015, 07:36 AM)A CUT ABOVE Wrote:
(03-19-2015, 07:01 AM)Johnny Wrote: You might check with some of our Artisans to see if they could do it.  Three that come to mind are Rudy Vey, Bob Quinn of Elite Razor, and Mycarver.  But there are also others.

Good luck.  I would be interested if this can be done and what it would look like.

Appreciate your quick response.  I will definitely let you know. One must make accommodate for age.  Hands don't work like they used to.

I certainly understand your problem.  That's why I use one of these instead of a straight now.  This particular Feather SS has a soft, kind of sticky handle.  You might want to try one.

[Image: n73mUnk.jpg]

179 23,925
 03-19-2015, 08:25 AM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
You might also check your local large Drug Store. They have a great many items to make larger handles for those of us whose hands are not what they used to be. A local rehab clinic would be a good place to visit also. A few dips in liquid electrical coating would add about 5 thousandths a dip. There are many of them.
Just my thoughts
Good Luck!
~Richard

8 1,194
 03-19-2015, 08:26 AM
User Info
I have both the SS and DX.  I prefer the DX because of weight and feel of the handle.  Both have narrow handles which make holding it a problem.  I guess if I had to I could use tape on it but that really would be the last resort.

6 166
 03-19-2015, 08:28 AM
User Info
(03-19-2015, 08:25 AM)geezer Wrote: You might also check your local large Drug Store. They have a great many items to make larger handles for those of us whose hands are not what they used to be. A local rehab clinic would be a good place to visit also. A few dips in liquid electrical coating would add about 5 thousandths a dip. There are many of them.
Just my thoughts
Good Luck!
~Richard

Thank you, those are options.  One would be to get tape used on a golf club or tennis racquet and add some layers.

6 166
 03-19-2015, 08:40 AM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
(03-19-2015, 08:28 AM)A CUT ABOVE Wrote:
(03-19-2015, 08:25 AM)geezer Wrote: You might also check your local large Drug Store. They have a great many items to make larger handles for those of us whose hands are not what they used to be. A local rehab clinic would be a good place to visit also. A few dips in liquid electrical coating would add about 5 thousandths a dip. There are many of them.
Just my thoughts
Good Luck!
~Richard

Thank you, those are options.  One would be to get tape used on a golf club or tennis racquet and add some layers.
Some of the Kamisori from Japan I have purchased have the handle wrapped in Butcher String and a couple of those have the string covered with rubber cement.[Image: v9xrSEr.jpg]

8 1,194
 03-20-2015, 02:28 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
If I were faced with the dilemma of making the rubber handle of a Feather Dx non folder a bit larger, I would opt for the Plastic Dip strategy if I wanted to stay with an original rubber look.  I've used Plastic Dip many times and it's super easy.  Dip and hang until dry.  Rinse and repeat as many times as you like until you've reached the desired thickness.  If I wanted a pseudo traditional Kamisori look, I would give the handle a wrap in either waxed thread or cicel.  A coating of CA would seal it, though the rubber cement idea is pretty cool.

33 914