03-19-2015, 07:39 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
For the last couple of weeks or more I've been interspersing the use of some carefully selected vintage carbon blades in my daily shaves and I'm here to say I'm hooked. You have to be careful to only use those that are still completely sealed, unopened, and top of the line brands.I also strop them on a pair of jeans before I use them just in case that actually helps. The results are some of the smoothest, closest shaves I've experienced. And bloodless for the most part. They don't last long at all, maybe three shaves out of one if you're lucky but two exceptional ones anyways. I'm not saying that no stainless blades shave me as well, Personna 74s are still the best I've ever used, but it's neat because the experience is a little different.In researching blades I'm led to believe that Gillette had the patent on stainless ones for many years before they were actually available on the market but their execs decided that the shaving public would prefer sharper, smoother blades that gave fewer shaves over ones that lasted much longer but gave a somewhat inferior shave. They were obviously wrong but I can see the logic in that reasoning.

7 2,359
 03-19-2015, 08:29 AM
User Info
I haven't tried vintage carbon steel blades, but I found the modern Treets I tried to be quite nice.

0 1,097
 03-19-2015, 01:43 PM
User Info
I am with you 100% Mouser.  In fact, I use vintage carbons almost exclusively.  Great shaves and virtually bloodless.  I love the look of them, the feel of them, the sound they make when they cut.  Not sure why there aren't more users but I guess that leaves more blades for we few who really appreciate the carbon experience.

0 52
 03-19-2015, 02:42 PM
  • Mouser
User Info
Well you know, logic tells me that what most of us experience when using those old carbons can't be what it was like back in the day or all men would have been wearing beards. Sure enough if you take the effort to find pristine ones, and I know it isn't worth it for most of you (I'm retired), you'll get a great shave.

7 2,359
 03-20-2015, 03:06 AM
User Info
(03-19-2015, 07:39 AM)Mouser Wrote: You have to be careful to only use those that are still completely sealed, unopened, and top of the line brands.

Which brands have worked best for you?

0 52
 03-20-2015, 09:18 PM
  • Mouser
User Info
Schick Deluxe with Krona edge, Krona Thins, Gillette Super Blues and Thins.

7 2,359
 04-25-2015, 07:33 AM
  • Mouser
User Info
Another shave with a carbon, a pristine Gillette Super Blue. One thing about carbons, they give my the smoothest, most comfortable against the grain shave on the upper lip. Never even any weepers, which often happen with most stainless. If you get ones completely sealed, give them a good stropping, they hard to beat. but that's my experience.

7 2,359
 04-25-2015, 08:55 AM
User Info
(03-20-2015, 09:18 PM)Mouser Wrote: Schick Deluxe with Krona edge, Krona Thins, Gillette Super Blues and Thins.

Have you tried Fan, Don Juan or Marlin?

0 52
 04-25-2015, 09:44 AM
  • Mouser
User Info
yes, yes, and no.

7 2,359
 05-08-2015, 03:56 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Talk to knowledgeable people in the knife world and many agree with you. All thing being equal, a carbon blade will take a sharper edge VS it's stain resistant version and is easier to renew. 

2 3,171
 05-09-2015, 03:34 PM
User Info
I just grabbed some black box Wilkonson Sword Super Sword Edge, Gillette Super Blue and Schick Krona Crome. I already have a few Personna 74 blades but it didn't really agree with my skin.

I like fairy aggressive razors such as R41 (2011 and 2013), Above the Tie Open Comb slant (S-2), Razorock Stealth Slant (Stainless Steel), LASSC BBS-1.

Anyone suggest a blade I have coming with a razor I have listed?

Thanks

81 1,367
 05-15-2015, 10:50 AM
  • Mouser
User Info
I'm morphing to a throw-back shaver. I mean most of my shaves are all vintage now, or a good deal of them. My vintage Yardley soap may be the best I have and my Ralph Lauren, and vintage Crabtree & Evelyn soaps aren't far behind. All my razors are vintage, I have three old brushes that see regular action and 6 out of 10 blades I pop in are vintage carbon with 3 of the other 4 being vintage stainless.

7 2,359
 05-16-2015, 07:24 PM
  • KRpdx
  • Portland, OR
User Info
Where do you buy quality carbon blades?

12 166
 05-18-2015, 12:06 PM
User Info
I have some Treet Classic blades coming from Amazon. I am very curious to see how they perform for me -- I know that my carbon steel kitchen knives hold an edge better than my stainless steel ones . . .
Euro

5 395