06-08-2012, 01:00 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1240358.JPG?m=1339040218]

Well,I finally got the new Proraso shaving soap,via http://www.bullgooseshaving.net and today I shaved with it.

This is a soap that have created a lot of expectation due to its new formulation,getting rid of all the unnecessary chemicals like SLS,parabens and boric acid and adding other more "naturals"

The soap looks the same than the old one,as you can see here :

[Image: P1240362.JPG?m=1339040247]

This new soap has a less "spicy" scent than the old one,and also more subtle.

The new ingredient list is this one :

[Image: P1240360.JPG?m=1339040270]

And the lather is easy to make and get as thick and dense as the old one :

[Image: P1240387.JPG?m=1339183219]

And these are my impressions about this soap :

-The previous Proraso/Omega shaving soap where a little bit harsh on my skin,leaving it pretty much dry after the shave,unless that I didnt get a closer one : in that case,the dryness was tolerable.This is something that I never have experience with Santa Maria La Novella (which contains lanolin).
Well,today I disnt suffer that skin dryeness after the shave,well,it was minimum,to be honest,something which out this soap closer to SMN than the old ones..

-The lather is super slick,and remind me off the old Proraso shaving cream,more than the old Proraso shaving soap.Very,very slick and well done here.

-The scent is not as strong as the old version,something that I appreciate it.

-The menthol kick is there,but Im not a big fan of mentholated shaving creams or soaps.I feel is the same than the old one,to be honest.

Is this a top shaving soap?No my friends,its not.For its price and range,its a really good soap,improved from its last version for sure.It has more slickness and doesnt dry out the skin as much as the old ones (I have very dry skin and I know what Im saying).These are good things.Also,if you like mentholated shaving soaps/creams,Proraso is a must,specially in summer/hot days.
The medical scent is not something that It drives me crazy,but its ok,dont care about it either.

I think that Martelli have done a good job improving Proraso,and getting rid of all the chemicals that weren't really necesarily to make a good soap. I'm sure they have added more stearic adic and coconut acid,due to its great slickness.

Ill kepp trying it,but so far so good.

86 7,124
 06-08-2012, 03:45 PM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
Teiste you write great reviews, my friend!

3 2,563
 06-08-2012, 04:14 PM
User Info
Nice review Teiste!
When it comes to Proraso YMMV is in full effect for sure. To me Proraso green with the price factored in could be one of the best soaps around. Old/new were always slick now it seems even more so. Very protective lather. I think it comes down to Eucalyptus if you love the smell it's in the top 5 if not it's a middle of the road soap on smell alone not performance. I'm just glad i love the smell, and it's always right by the "Shave Nook" sink.

2 805
 06-08-2012, 05:41 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Great review Teiste, I too am prone to suffering with dry skin post shaving. The properties you report as being associated with the new formulation appeal to me greatly. Sounds like a great product, just got better. Biggrin

Proraso is about the only product I can source easily locally. I mentioned it to the vendor near home where I usually purchase Proraso and he wasn't even aware of the new formulation! Sad

91 17,876
 06-08-2012, 07:44 PM
User Info
Great review! I'm curious if anyone has tried the sandalwood version? All I seem to see are reviews of the regular version.

0 123
 06-08-2012, 08:55 PM
User Info
The Sandalwood is also very slick and provides great cushion. The scent is very subtle a woody sandalwood. If your looking for AOS sandalwood then this isn't for you. It's hard to describe the scent of this one. woody,earthy, clean, soapy. But with the Shea butter in it it's leaves the skin soft and moisturized. Just touch it with a damp brush and it explodes.

2 805
 06-08-2012, 10:44 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(06-08-2012, 08:55 PM)sunflake Wrote: The Sandalwood is also very slick and provides great cushion. The scent is very subtle a woody sandalwood. If your looking for AOS sandalwood then this isn't for you. It's hard to describe the scent of this one. woody,earthy, clean, soapy. But with the Shea butter in it it's leaves the skin soft and moisturized. Just touch it with a damp brush and it explodes.

Wow, sounds great!

91 17,876
 06-08-2012, 11:15 PM
User Info
Ben it is definitely worth trying for sure. And being Proraso you don't have too shell out a lot of cash. I have seen people who were looking for more of a cologne scented sandalwood like AOS (which is my fav) they don't last very long on a BST if the scent isn't or you.

2 805
 06-09-2012, 09:05 PM
User Info
Thanks sunflake! I actually requested a tube for Father's Day but if I don't get it as a gift, I'll buy some outright.

0 123
 06-09-2012, 09:41 PM
User Info
Of course, another great review, Teiste.

75 20,884
 06-11-2012, 07:08 PM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
I received my new Proraso Sandalwood cream today along with a couple of other items which I purchased from Fendrihan's. This cream seems to have a very nice scent. I reserved a shave tomorrow morning with Gillette Menthol cream, because it's going to be a warm and humid day, but by the end of this week, I'll give the Proraso Sandalwood stuff its turn. I'm very optimistic about it.

3 2,563
 06-11-2012, 07:18 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I've been pretty disappointed that I can't use this due to the eucalyptus. The reviews make it sound pretty great.

I think I'll pick up some of the sandalwood next time I'm ordering.

10 1,858
 06-11-2012, 07:38 PM
User Info
(06-09-2012, 09:05 PM)koolereye Wrote: Thanks sunflake! I actually requested a tube for Father's Day but if I don't get it as a gift, I'll buy some outright.

Your quite welcome Karl. The only thing that you need to find out is, do you like the scent or does it grow on you. The new red is the first one from Proraso that wasn't clear out of the gate as far as smell goes. I already knew I loved AOS Sandalwood this isn't even close to AOS completely different scent all together. Everyone already knows it will perform wonderfully. So there isn't a worry there. LOL

2 805
 06-11-2012, 09:29 PM
User Info
I have to say for the record, that this cream is a little overrated. While it does give a better shave than my tallow soaps, there's really nothing else to it. The scent...there is no scent unless you get some cream on your shirt. There is no cooling effect whatsoever. The menthol scent is considerably on the low side, compared to Kent.

0 128
 06-11-2012, 10:46 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(06-11-2012, 09:29 PM)JonJones84 Wrote: I have to say for the record, that this cream is a little overrated. While it does give a better shave than my tallow soaps, there's really nothing else to it. The scent...there is no scent unless you get some cream on your shirt. There is no cooling effect whatsoever. The menthol scent is considerably on the low side, compared to Kent.

Its the first time that I do read something like that.Proraso is good soap,decent performer, that's it,but better than some tallow based soaps?Soaps like Art of Shaving or D.R.Harris,you mean?Im agree that I certainly prefer my veggie based Geo F Trumper,rather than the other shaving soaps from the two brands I have mentioned,but I get better shaves with Harris or AoS than with Proraso,ten times better I would say.
Interesting indeed.

86 7,124
 06-12-2012, 12:53 AM
User Info
(06-11-2012, 10:46 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(06-11-2012, 09:29 PM)JonJones84 Wrote: I have to say for the record, that this cream is a little overrated. While it does give a better shave than my tallow soaps, there's really nothing else to it. The scent...there is no scent unless you get some cream on your shirt. There is no cooling effect whatsoever. The menthol scent is considerably on the low side, compared to Kent.

Its the first time that I do read something like that.Proraso is good soap,decent performer, that's it,but better than some tallow based soaps?Soaps like Art of Shaving or D.R.Harris,you mean?Im agree that I certainly prefer my veggie based Geo F Trumper,rather than the other shaving soaps from the two brands I have mentioned,but I get better shaves with Harris or AoS than with Proraso,ten times better I would say.
Interesting indeed.

Idk, maybe it's a mental thing or because I haven't used the soap in over 5 months and just completely forgot how it performs, that I'm probably saying this. AOS soaps? Why spend $45, when for $10 cheaper you can buy the Harris soaps, which smell much better, for the same or better quality? Assuming you buy the soap with it's bowl...if not, Harris stills wins in price and performance.

0 128
 06-12-2012, 04:01 AM
User Info
This cream has no menthol in it. Not sure why you would expect cooling effect. I read the ingredients that were on the box when it arrived I don't recall menthol on the list.

Hey Teiste I'm sure glad YMMV when it comes to SC. Cella and AOS shave with a little more slickness than Proraso but not 10x better at least for me. Maybe with the price difference that's why I love Proraso products. It's a blue collar cream/soap/AS Smile
Everyone has a preference, and a favorite and a opinion. That's why I like reading these forums. To each his own I guess.

2 805
 06-12-2012, 04:28 AM
User Info
(06-08-2012, 10:44 PM)ben74 Wrote:
(06-08-2012, 08:55 PM)sunflake Wrote: The Sandalwood is also very slick and provides great cushion. The scent is very subtle a woody sandalwood. If your looking for AOS sandalwood then this isn't for you. It's hard to describe the scent of this one. woody,earthy, clean, soapy. But with the Shea butter in it it's leaves the skin soft and moisturized. Just touch it with a damp brush and it explodes.

Wow, sounds great!

I wouldn't even call it Sandalwood, it smells like the LF Sandalwood. Italian for Sandalwood is apparently herbal and old lady lol.

I will say though, the Sandalwood cream works better than the original formula ever did for me, its good stuff.

0 652
 06-12-2012, 04:51 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I agree. I'd call it a rubbery smell.
It works so well for me, I'll gladly tolerate the scent for the performance.

And as the original, excellent review mentions, the new soaps, including the white tub and the new green tube cream, all give me great results regardless of price.
It's great to have and try new products but even better to have stuff available to always fall back on without any drama.

6 905
 06-12-2012, 09:32 AM
User Info
I think it's always difficult to make decisions on scents until you actually get to smell the product, regardless of what they label the scent as. The AOS sandalwood smells nice but there have been other sandalwood things I that have smelled and they can all smell different. It always comes down to individual preferences. A fine example is bay rum products. They come in so many different variations that some might not even be recognized as a bay rum. But that's the great part, as long as you like it, then you can't go wrong.

0 123