03-19-2015, 09:17 PM
User Info
other than cade, mdc, pere lucien and pdp what are some others you guys love to use? im finding i do like some of these french soaps and im wondering which others i may be missing out on trying so far. so far cade was the only one just okay for me. it was not horrible by any means but i prefer the others listed much more.

thanks

16 660
 03-19-2015, 09:49 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
êShave needs more credit.
And Cade deserves all the credit it receives!

62 3,008
 03-19-2015, 11:57 PM
User Info
 la savonnière du moulin savon à barbe lait frais d'ânesse bio.....this is English translates to the soap dish soap mill candy ass Organic fresh milk. Donkey milk soap to be short. We just did a group buy on another forum. It will arrive next week. I will post some reviews.

Provence Sante is nice as well. I like the scent quite a bit as well as performance.

82 1,368
 03-20-2015, 12:31 AM
  • max1ci6
  • Ancona, Italy
User Info
These are pretty good Savon Des Volcans

0 1,105
 03-20-2015, 02:47 AM
User Info
(03-19-2015, 09:49 PM)Nero Wrote: êShave needs more credit.

eshave  is rather expensive, it has fancy colouring, I´d give you that Wink
tell us more!

Quote:a savonnière du moulin savon à barbe lait frais d'ânesse bio.....this is English translates to the soap dish soap mill candy ass Organic fresh milk.

this is all I found, "parler vous francais?"

In the end he is alive and well. I like that soap, for some reason. Thank you for the suggestions made.

I like the L´occitane Cadé soap and Le père Lucien quite a bit. These are all I have

21 1,175
 03-20-2015, 05:19 AM
  • DaveL
  • Houston, Texas
User Info
Provence Sante and Institut Karite are both really nice. 

2 128
 03-20-2015, 05:40 AM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
.....wish i had known about that group buy.
......zaclikestoshave, is there a website for donkey milk shaving soap?

46 1,070
 03-20-2015, 05:52 AM
User Info
(03-20-2015, 05:40 AM)leonidas Wrote: .....wish i had known about that group buy.
......zaclikestoshave,   is there a website for donkey milk shaving soap?
If I may reply, it is this adress:
http://www.la-savonniere-du-moulin.com/

The shipping policy within the EU seems rather good. I can get inexpensive shipping as I order above ~40EUR (inexpensive= free!)
If you need help or want me to ship a soap directly, let me know. I am thinking about ordering a few. Just a no nonsense soap that already got great reviews, the kind I like

21 1,175
 03-20-2015, 06:32 AM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
....thank you, Bibbelman........ as always, you are very helpful..

..........i tried to access the site, but being at work........ it won't let me....

.........i'll try this evening from home................

46 1,070
 03-20-2015, 06:53 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
Have you tried Le Strop Shoppe or Michele's Naturale? Cool

1 796
 03-20-2015, 07:41 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(03-20-2015, 02:47 AM)Bibbelmann Wrote:

eshave is rather expensive, it has fancy colouring, I´d give you that Wink
tell us more!

No problem Smile
êShave is a bit more expensive than the other French hard soaps, but they are also one of the hardest pucks I have ever used and should last even longer than most of the others.
But I really like them because their scents are both natural and interesting. I have the lavender soap with shea butter, linden soap with avocado oil, and lemon verbena cream. The linden smells like "heaven in springtime'... wonderful tree flower scent. MUCH nicer than Provence Sante Verlaine (also scented like linden.... the êShave scent wins, hands down). Very clean, very pure, very REAL, very pleasant. And the lavender is very nice too, much nicer than AoS lavender scent (which I would classify natural but less interesting), IMHO. And all of them are extremely slick and produce a huge lather. The cream is one of the slickest creams I've ever touched...like motor oil slick.
Best of all, the skin care seems right on the money!
What are you waiting for? Smile

(My only complaint is that the metal bowl doesn't come with a lid bc they want you to just store the puck/bowl upside-down. I just put it back in the box.)

....oh yeah, and the actual packaging is really sharp/fancy, if that matters to you.

62 3,008
 03-20-2015, 08:10 AM
User Info
(03-20-2015, 07:41 AM)Nero Wrote:
(03-20-2015, 02:47 AM)Bibbelmann Wrote:

eshave  is rather expensive, it has fancy colouring, I´d give you that Wink
tell us more!

No problem Smile
êShave is a bit more expensive than the other French hard soaps, but they are also one of the hardest pucks I have ever used and should last even longer than most of the others.

According to their site, a 3.5oz cake of their triple milled soap should last 7-9months. At $26 a refill it isn't that bad, especially if it is that good, but I suspect Pre de Provence will last at least that long at $15 since it is triple milled and it weighs 5.25oz. A year! Sure is a slap in the face of the people that call MdC "economical." I have MdC in Fougere and regular and I still like PdP better in performance, though the fougere is a nice scent...

18 713
 03-20-2015, 08:51 AM
User Info
(03-20-2015, 06:32 AM)leonidas Wrote: ....thank you, Bibbelman........ as always, you are very helpful..

..........i tried to access the site, but being at work........ it won't let me....

i can get to the site but see nothing listed anywhere all pages are empty except for the header and buttons to select a page. otherwise there is nothing listed

16 660
 03-20-2015, 10:53 AM
User Info
Maybe we can make a list of soaps, where they're from, and some of the key ingredients "advertised".

Cade-
eShave-Provence-Avocado and Shea Butter
Institute Karite-Paris
Le Pére Lucien-
Martin De Candré-
Midi Vetiver
Monsavon-
Osma - Shea Butter and Potassium Alum
Plisson-
Pre de Provence - Shea Butter
Provence (Linden and Sante) - Talc and Shea Butter
Savon du Moulin - Donkey (Ass) Milk

82 1,368
 03-20-2015, 02:49 PM
User Info
(03-20-2015, 10:53 AM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: Maybe we can make a list of soaps, where they're from, and some of the key ingredients "advertised".

Cade-
eShave-Provence-Avocado and Shea Butter
Institute Karite-Paris
Le Pére Lucien-
Martin De Candré-
Midi Vetiver
Monsavon-
Osma - Shea Butter and Potassium Alum
Plisson- 
Pre de Provence - Shea Butter
Provence (Linden and Sante) - Talc and Shea Butter -  should be Provence Santè  Verlaine  (Linden and Verbena) and Green Tea.
Savon du Moulin - Donkey (Ass) Milk

I am a  fan of Prè de Provence, Provence Santè, êShave, Institut Karité, and Comptoir des Savonniers.
The êShave is my favourite purely due to the choice of scents, if Provence Santè did a range of scents I would more likely purchase these.
The Prè de Provence scent with a hint of rosemary is fine but it won't have a nubile young women sniffing it saying this is lovely...

The Provence Santè soap come in two scents Verlaine - a Linden and Verbena fragrance, and Green Tea. I have just received the Plantes et Parfums Eau de Ventoux shaving soap, this appears to be a generic shaving soap noodles mix, and it reminds me of another soap in texture that came out recently, either Nougat or Molton Brown. I have on order the new La Maison du Savon de Marseille PdP clone, and the Prè de Provence No. 63 is next on the wishlist.

I believe Plisson is made in the UK.  There is the Savon du Midi, a German line of French products similar to Prè de Provence in North America.

There are two French soaps to avoid - Lothantique, they have produced one adequate soap and Durance en Provence. Every country has a Caswell Massey...

0 280
 03-20-2015, 03:13 PM
User Info
I think the major missing brands are:

Altesse 
Creed
Centifolia
Comptoir des Savonniers - disappears in and out of production. It's on one on the stores websites at present...
La Cigale

Maison du Barbier, Joris and Plisson are all owned by the same company and were British made.

Tade, distribute an Aleppo shaving soap but whether you can lather it or they can get it out of Syria is another matter.

0 280
 03-20-2015, 03:53 PM
User Info
(03-20-2015, 03:13 PM)Sabre Wrote: I think the major missing brands are:

Altesse 
Creed
Centifolia
Comptoir des Savonniers - disappears in and out of production. It's on one on the stores websites at present...
La Cigale

Maison du Barbier, Joris and Plisson are all owned by the same company and were British made.

Tade, distribute an Aleppo shaving soap but whether you can lather it or they can get it out of Syria is another matter.

They're discontinued?

18 713
 03-20-2015, 04:04 PM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
(03-20-2015, 08:51 AM)mastershake Wrote:
(03-20-2015, 06:32 AM)leonidas Wrote: ....thank you, Bibbelman........ as always, you are very helpful..

i can get to the site but see nothing listed anywhere all pages are empty except for the header and buttons to select a page. otherwise there is nothing listed

...same here.......... I only see the header and buttons........and nothing else, as mastershake mentioned...

46 1,070
 03-20-2015, 04:35 PM
User Info
(03-20-2015, 04:04 PM)leonidas Wrote: ...same here.......... I only see the header and buttons........and nothing else, as mastershake mentioned...
on the right click the French menue.
http://www.la-savonniere-du-moulin.com/8...u-masculin (something to do with for men), and there are the shaving soaps

21 1,175
 03-20-2015, 04:43 PM
User Info
(03-20-2015, 03:53 PM)fram773 Wrote:
(03-20-2015, 03:13 PM)Sabre Wrote: I think the major missing brands are:

Altesse 
Creed
Centifolia
La Cigale

They're discontinued?

Virtually all British soaps were made by Standard Soap Company, with maybe a few made by the former Floris factory in Devon. Standard Soap Company went bankrupt, and its production lines bought by another company based in Scotland originally founded by The Body Shop . This is why many classic British soaps were reformulated and had periods of instability. 

Are the Joris et al soaps now made in Scotland with Penhaligons, GFT, C&E etc? I don't know, as I have never read any issues that Maison du Barbier, Joris and Plisson shaving soaps were reformulated. As AOS moved production, I am sure many other companies will too.

0 280