03-20-2015, 05:09 PM
User Info
so i found i have a 26mm tgn finest with gel like tips. how often does that happen nowadays? a while back i had rudy vey make me a few brushes 2 24mm one fan one bulb and a 26mm bulb all finest. i have so many brushes i had been using the 24mm and the 26mm sat lonely waitiing. so tonight i decided to break it out and give it some love and WOW what a knot on this thing its so nice. it blows away the 2 24mm ones hands down and has awesome gel tips on it. they are very different then the hooked tips on the 24mm ones. those are still nice but this thing is awesome.

im considering buying some more of the finest knots for a few handles i have here waiting for knots but if i could get knots like the 26mm i would of course love to. the 26mm is a knot he had for a while because he didnt have any 26mm at the time so he gave me one from his own tgn finest ones. so i dont know exactly how old it was before he set it. i have read the newer knots are not as nice the the old ones were. do some still have the gel like tips anymore or no, and how often do you find one (if at all) is there one size its more common on or just a crap shoot?

i have a handful of tgn finest brushes but this is the first one like this. its AWESOME. i would say it might take over as my favorite knot after some more use. also had zero hairs shed so far i did two test lathers and then an actual face lather. nada on any shedding so far

16 660
 03-20-2015, 06:33 PM
User Info
I enquired a while back as to which TGN Finests came with gel tips. The factory response was "none." So I don't think they even know when one will show up. You're one of the fortunates that lucked into one.

29 1,776
 03-20-2015, 06:48 PM
User Info
yeah thats what it seems from many threads i have been reading. i own a total of 5 tgn finest right now and had the 2 i sold and this is the only one like this. its also the only 26mm one though. the rest are either 24mm or 28mm. if i could find knots like this i honestly would never even look for anything else. just make a few in different sizes and some bulb some fan and be done with my sbad. this knot is freaking phenomenal. as i said im not new to tgn finest but this thing is (imo) nicer then some of my top line 200$+ brushes.  the normal tgn finest is nice for sure but it would not be my top choice and doesnt compare to this one.

16 660
 03-20-2015, 07:00 PM
User Info
I think Lee Sabini might be the only vendor that you could at least request that of and not be "brushed off."

29 1,776
 03-20-2015, 09:20 PM
User Info
Mastershake, part of the issue is that TGN can't tell us which have gel tips because some of these knot take a few uses to start showing curls. Vladimir Ferdman (LoveYourShave) uses some TGN knots in his brushes. I had ordered two brushes from him which were 2 band finest TGN knots and 1 was clearly different and more than just soft. So from being in close batch of each other, one has gel tips and another doesn't.

Same happened with ordering my 22mm HMW a year and a half ago. It was clearly gel tipped and is probably my favorite badger knot in the den. Then when they released the TGN HMW 24mm knots, I jumped on one about half a year ago and the construction and quality of hair was nowhere near as good.

One more note. Lee Sabini is mentioned above and my Finest badger from him was different to my face the first couple times I used it. The last couple times it seems to be developing more curlly tips and softer feeling ends.

79 1,338
 03-21-2015, 11:32 AM
User Info
(03-20-2015, 07:00 PM)rsp1202 Wrote: "I think Lee Sabini might be the only vendor that you could at least request that of and not be "brushed off.""

I always liked working with Lee.  took a while sometimes, but always worth it.

1 52
 03-21-2015, 04:46 PM
User Info
I have had a 24 mm fan from tgn with gel tips. I also have had a Rooney heritage gel and a few current M&F with gel characteristics. I have owned many brushes with curled tips that dry semi crusty that were not gel tipped. I believe this is not even a batch to batch type coincidence, I believe it is possibly a brush to brush characteristic that happens on occasion. I have also had a few simpson three bands that have had the gel tip feel without hooked tips. As far as the closest thing to gel tips available at the momment I am very impressed with what has been coming from M&F , consistent quality and tremendous performance.

60 1,530
 03-21-2015, 07:37 PM
User Info
I just got a 24mm fan in from TGN on Thursday but it doesn't have the gel tips.I posted a pic of it in the SOTD thread but it's not a macro shot of the tips.

0 1
 03-29-2015, 06:29 PM
User Info
i have another on the way from rudy and he says the knot is fantastic. a 26mm so hopefully its even sort of close to the one i have already. it has an older 26mm he found that he forgot he had. he was about to add this knot to his private stash so im crossing my fingers.

16 660
 04-01-2015, 01:00 PM
User Info
got my new one from rudy he did an amazing job on the handle i could not have asked for better but the knot is no where near what my other one is. sadly i was hoping for the same knot and took a chance but its just a decent finest tgn and not a really dense one at that. no more tgn for me. as i said rudy did a fantastic job on the handle and its so nice i wish i would have put a shavemac in it.

16 660