03-21-2015, 08:06 AM
User Info
I have 3 or 4 vintage straight razors. I also have an old barbers two-sided hone. I have tried and tried to put a good edge on the blades but can't do it. I would appreciate some good advice from you guys who are experienced at sharpening.

0 52
 03-21-2015, 08:21 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
You won't be able to do it with only a barber hone. I would advice to ask people near to where you live to help you out with this. I'm sure there are some good honers out there.

28 1,442
 03-21-2015, 12:30 PM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
Send them out to be pro honed. You will  not be sorry. With proper stropping and a barbers home you could shave for a very long time on one honing. 

7 450
 03-21-2015, 05:03 PM
User Info
(03-21-2015, 12:30 PM)jtmke Wrote: Send them out to be pro honed. You will  not be sorry. With proper stropping and a barbers home you could shave for a very long time on one honing. 

Best options if you're on a budget.  Learn to hone using lapping film or send them out to be honed.  Learning to hone your own razors isn't that difficult.  Just takes some dollars, spare time, and desire.

0 123
 03-21-2015, 09:09 PM
User Info
You have quite a few options living in the US, so I would advise sending them, or even just one to get professionally honed as you can feel for yourself what a properly honed straight should be like, then you can tray to replicate that. However, you won't be able to do that with just a barber's hone, I believe. You may need a few different stones as you will need to set the bevel, then to refine the edge to the desired sharpness. Good luck. 

83 21,077
 03-22-2015, 01:27 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
It really depends on the condition of the edge. If the razor was shave ready and after using it it starts to tug and not perform well a barbers hone can be used to touch up the edge back to shave ready condition. With typical vintage razors that I have bought that have not been used for years the edge usually needs a full bevel reset and honing. That requires a full set of hones from 1k, then 3k, then 8k and 12k as an example. A good way to go if you are just starting to learn how to shave with a straight razor is to send two out to be professionally honed by someone specializing in straight razors. That way you will know what a good edge feels like and have a back up if one gets dull or damaged and you can't bring it back to shave ready with a barbers hone. 

Bob

0 1,694
 03-22-2015, 03:33 AM
User Info
you need the stones and routine. It will take you some time to get there, and the stones are costly, too.
It may be a case for somebody who has experience doing this

21 1,175