06-08-2012, 02:18 PM
  • Qhead
  • Cleveland, Ohio
User Info
I bought a new Simpson Duke 1 brush from Phil a few months back. It's my first and only badger brush to date. I love the little guy and think he's great for face lathering. Everything was "badger bliss" until the last few days when I noticed it has started shedding -- I would say at least a few hairs every time I use it. Is that something to be concerned about, or is it normal? I saw a prior thread started by Pnume about shedding, and the replies indicate that a decent brush should not shed this much.

One additional bit of info Confused I sometimes lightly "squish" the brush with my hand to get water out of it -- but I do not twist or "wring" it, or yank the hairs away from the handle, or otherwise treat it roughly.

Is squishing (that's a technical term Tongue) a no no and causing this problem? Or will this Duke settle in and stop shedding? Or will I need to buy a different brush? So far I've avoided SBAD...

Thanks, Jeff

15 185
 06-08-2012, 02:23 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
If squishing is a problem then I'm in trouble. I do that with all my synthetics just to cut a bit of drying time off (not hard just a light squish). I don't think it is at all.

116 3,804
 06-08-2012, 03:05 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
You should be able to gently squeeze a little moisture from the brush without fear of damaging it.

If the brush is not rinsed properly, the soap build can cause hairs to become brittle.

Excessively hot water can weaken the setting of the knot and result in hair loss.

Aggressive use of the brush, such as "mashing" it into the face can cause hair loss.

A gentle combing of the brush can remove excess hair. the average badger brush has about 14, 000 hairs, so loosing a few isn't a problem, but it is annoying finding stray hairs in your lather.

Monitor the hair loss, if it doesn't settle down, contact the vendor.

91 17,851
 06-08-2012, 05:50 PM
User Info
I typically give my brushes a gentle squeeze or two followed by a gentle shake or two. Then I hang them in the stand until dry and put them on the shelf before the next morning's shave.

The Duke is one of my favorite brushes. Hopefully, the brush will slow down on the shedding.

29 1,731
 06-08-2012, 09:59 PM
User Info
Jeff,
That should not be a problem at all. i think most guys do that. i think the shedding should settle down or stop, soon.

75 20,883
 06-09-2012, 04:51 AM
  • Qhead
  • Cleveland, Ohio
User Info
Thanks guys. I am a noob to badger brushes. I will comb it out and keep monitoring and hopefully the shedding will cease.

15 185