06-08-2012, 02:16 PM
User Info
For some time I have been discussing the upcoming clear handled H.I.S. Synthetic Brush. Well now it is here and we can look at it up close and personal.

My review for the original black handled H.I.S. Synthetic Brush is available at:

http://shavenook.com/thread-h-i-s-synthetic-brush

This brush has the same dimensions as the original brush but with a clear handle instead of ebony. However the pictures do bear out one change that does not effect the great performance. It affects the look of the knot. The banding has now been made to be less uniform which allows the brush to look more natural than before. The brush is extremely thick and soft and as the original brush would create a large amount of lather. The ends of the fibers are as soft as my Silvertip Badger brushes.

Here are the photos.

[Image: 7167421055_540c974248_h.jpg]

[Image: 7352632664_d819b03283_h.jpg]

[Image: 7167421395_9f5da18fa3_h.jpg]

Now this brush (clear or ebony) is in my top three along with the MÜHLE 35 K 252 25mm and my custom Silvertip Badger. Along with the MÜHLE 35 K 252, I have come around on the larger brush in the area of synthetics based on using a variety of sizes in that class.

Another thing that stands out on this brush is the price and ease of ordering. It is available on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Beauty-Strokes-H-I...ving+brush

With shipping inside the U.S. it totals up to $32.40 at the current time. This is a high quality brush at a price most users can afford.

I hope that this provides additional insight into this both wonderful looking and performing brush.

1 2,827
 06-08-2012, 04:50 PM
User Info
I like the clear handle. Nice looking brush!

5 78
 06-08-2012, 05:52 PM
User Info
Thanks for the information and the pictures. I am adding a synthetic to my wish list to try. I have narrowed my decision down to this brush and the Muhle black fibre brush.

29 1,731
 06-08-2012, 07:35 PM
  • Codfish
  • Product Tester
  • Connecticut Shoreline
User Info
(06-08-2012, 05:52 PM)ridgerunner Wrote: Thanks for the information and the pictures. I am adding a synthetic to my wish list to try. I have narrowed my decision down to this brush and the Muhle black fibre brush.

You can't go wrong with either choice. However, because of the size difference, you'll probably end up buying both! I have the Mühle black fibre, and this is my next pick. Thanks Gary!

0 254
 06-08-2012, 07:39 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Thank you for the additional photos and pricing information.

I see this brush becoming part of my den!

Biggrin

9 1,684
 06-08-2012, 09:57 PM
User Info
That definitely is a interesting handle.

75 20,883
 06-08-2012, 11:45 PM
User Info
Thanks for the pics and description of this brush.

I prefer the banding pattern on the black one more, which is good - because I already have one of those. Biggrin

The black handled one is probably my favourite synthetic hair brush. For some reason, I really didn't care for the Muhle Silvertip Fibres brush, and I don't think I'll be getting the black fibres Muhle.

As mentioned, the tips on these brushes are softer than anything else, and it's coupled with some really nice backbone. What's not to love?

37 1,731
 06-09-2012, 06:37 AM
User Info
(06-08-2012, 11:45 PM)yohannrjm Wrote: Thanks for the pics and description of this brush.

I prefer the banding pattern on the black one more, which is good - because I already have one of those. Biggrin

The black handled one is probably my favourite synthetic hair brush. For some reason, I really didn't care for the Muhle Silvertip Fibres brush, and I don't think I'll be getting the black fibres Muhle.

As mentioned, the tips on these brushes are softer than anything else, and it's coupled with some really nice backbone. What's not to love?

Don't forget, the price is nice! Sometimes we Traditional Shavers need a break!

1 2,827
 06-09-2012, 06:51 AM
User Info
(06-08-2012, 11:45 PM)yohannrjm Wrote: Thanks for the pics and description of this brush.

Any idea what you didn't like about the Silvertip Fibre brush? I love my Black Fibre and have a Silvertip Fibre on the way. One of these H.I.S. brushes may definitely make it into my Nook eventually, but right now I'll hold off and see if they offer any other handles.

31 7,912
 06-09-2012, 09:59 AM
User Info
Well, I changed my approach this morning to see if I could make an extremely dense lather with the H.I.S. brush. Much denser than I normally make.

I prepared as normal and used Vintage Williams and a mug of warm water. I dunked the knot one quarter of the way into the mug of water and began to pick up soap. I began to lather and added one more teaspoon of water for the first round. I made a full brush of extra thick lather (much more thick than my liking) and so I applied the lather and shaved. With each attempt to clean the razor the clumps of lather remained in the bottom of the sink. I completed the first pass and lathered again with the same super thick lather. Again the same results occurred, thick lather on the face and clumps in the sink when quick rinsing the razor. The clumps would not leave the bottom of the sink until they were rinsed long enough with warm water.

At that point I added another teaspoon of water to the mixing mug (no soap puck in this mug) and whirled the brush again and generated more thick lather for my head without any additional soap. At the end of the shave, here was what was left in the brush. Enough for an additional face pass.

[Image: 7354917922_371984d470_h.jpg]

What is in the photo was the last of the available lather and only one application of soap was made to the brush with no additional soap required. The mug of water is not seen in this photo but is off to the side. The mug seen is the one used to generate the lather along with the one holding the soap.

So the H.I.S. shaving brush can be used to make extra thick clump like lather along with more hydrated lather as the user desires. It is a mere change of technique that can achieve this result of almost soap solid lather. I had to spend a couple of minutes cleaning out the remainder of soap out of the brush it was so thick.

So the H.I.S. brush can produce a mountain of super thick lather or any other thickness you so desire.

1 2,827
 06-09-2012, 02:48 PM
User Info
(06-09-2012, 06:51 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Any idea what you didn't like about the Silvertip Fibre brush? I love my Black Fibre and have a Silvertip Fibre on the way. One of these H.I.S. brushes may definitely make it into my Nook eventually, but right now I'll hold off and see if they offer any other handles.

There was quite a bit I didn't like about it.

It did look pretty similar to real badger, but I found the fibres to have prickly feel that did get better with time, but never felt right for me. The FS and HIS brushes have much softer tips, and are much denser. The Muhle was pretty sparse. It lathered fine, but not spectacularly. Also, it was a bit flingy with the lather.

I like the HIS and FS brushes because they are different from badger without trying to really imitate it. I prefer the feel of the tips of these brushes and I like the facial feel and the density.

Basically, the Muhle was disappointing because it didn't seem to have a role that it excelled at. I didn't like the lathering performance, I didn't like the feel and I didn't like the looks.

This is a personal thing, of course. A lot of people love these brushes - they just didn't work out for me.

37 1,731
 06-09-2012, 07:38 PM
User Info
(06-09-2012, 02:48 PM)yohannrjm Wrote:
(06-09-2012, 06:51 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Any idea what you didn't like about the Silvertip Fibre brush? I love my Black Fibre and have a Silvertip Fibre on the way. One of these H.I.S. brushes may definitely make it into my Nook eventually, but right now I'll hold off and see if they offer any other handles.

There was quite a bit I didn't like about it.

It did look pretty similar to real badger, but I found the fibres to have prickly feel that did get better with time, but never felt right for me. The FS and HIS brushes have much softer tips, and are much denser. The Muhle was pretty sparse. It lathered fine, but not spectacularly. Also, it was a bit flingy with the lather.

I like the HIS and FS brushes because they are different from badger without trying to really imitate it. I prefer the feel of the tips of these brushes and I like the facial feel and the density.

Basically, the Muhle was disappointing because it didn't seem to have a role that it excelled at. I didn't like the lathering performance, I didn't like the feel and I didn't like the looks.

This is a personal thing, of course. A lot of people love these brushes - they just didn't work out for me.

Yeah, sounds like we'll have different experiences since I really like my Black Fibre. Thanks for giving me your thoughts on it, I appreciate it.

31 7,912
 06-10-2012, 03:57 AM
User Info
Yep, these things are so personal.

I tried the Muhle based on all the glowing reviews, and I was frankly surprised at how little I liked it. I generally find something to like in most shaving stuff, but the Muhle didn't work at all for me from the start.

Similarly, I recommended a Barbasol Floating Head razor to a guy who likes aggressive razors, and he said it kept nicking him and wasn't aggressive --- it's all down to personal styles and tastes. Smile

37 1,731
 06-10-2012, 12:31 PM
User Info
Today I went back to my normal lather of the consistency of slightly runny yogurt and finished my lather on my face for each pass.
Wonderful shave and enough lather for three face passes plus a head pass with extra left over.

[Image: 7358904128_b578d42c44_b.jpg]

1 2,827
 06-11-2012, 04:08 PM
User Info
Yesterday's shave was so nice I had to do it again today!

[Image: 7360209448_bde0c27450_b.jpg]

1 2,827
 06-11-2012, 06:03 PM
User Info
(06-11-2012, 04:08 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: Yesterday's shave was so nice I had to do it again today!

Gary, are you radioactive?

31 7,912
 06-11-2012, 06:09 PM
User Info
(06-11-2012, 06:03 PM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(06-11-2012, 04:08 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: Yesterday's shave was so nice I had to do it again today!

Gary, are you radioactive?

Some days! Cool

1 2,827
 06-11-2012, 07:56 PM
  • etoyoc
  • NW Indiana
User Info
Very cool..

the pic edit certainly has the fortress of solitude thing going for it!

For some reason mine was shipped on the 9th but USPS shows it is scheduled to arrive on June 25th. Must be a popular brush at the post office.

0 253
 06-12-2012, 02:13 PM
User Info
(06-11-2012, 07:56 PM)etoyoc Wrote: Very cool..

the pic edit certainly has the fortress of solitude thing going for it!

For some reason mine was shipped on the 9th but USPS shows it is scheduled to arrive on June 25th. Must be a popular brush at the post office.

Thanks for the complement on the photo.

On the first one I bought there was a delay on shipping once it got in U.S.P.S. However, you may get it sooner because my last one came in ahead of schedule.

[Image: 7366731968_5582a51ace_b.jpg]

1 2,827
 06-13-2012, 07:00 AM
User Info
Your reviews/thoughts on this brush make it sound quite inviting. My only concern would be that it looks HUGE and I'm not sure how I feel about such a large brush. Have to think long and hard about this one

4 952