03-23-2015, 12:12 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
(03-23-2015, 11:28 AM)robk Wrote: It's a big world out there. If someone isn't playing nice, there are plenty of other folks with whom we can play. I've not encountered much here that turned me off. Best simply to move on to the next thread, the next post, the next encounter.

Life is too short, and, Bryan, you are too sweet a human being, to let the sometimes petty silliness of some folks here or anywhere else (especially anywhere on the web) get you down.
Well said.
If you identify that someone's posts consistently interfere with your enjoyment of the forum for any reason, you can also put that member on your "ignore" list. It's really kind of a nice feature.

61 861
 03-23-2015, 05:11 PM
User Info
(03-23-2015, 11:28 AM)robk Wrote: It's a big world out there. If someone isn't playing nice, there are plenty of other folks with whom we can play. I've not encountered much here that turned me off. Best simply to move on to the next thread, the next post, the next encounter.

Life is too short, and, Bryan, you are too sweet a human being, to let the sometimes petty silliness of some folks here or anywhere else (especially anywhere on the web) get you down.

Rob, that is very sweet of you to say. I appreciate you, good sir. You have made my day!

(03-23-2015, 12:12 PM)greyhawk Wrote:

Well said.
If you identify that someone's posts consistently interfere with your enjoyment of the forum for any reason, you can also put that member on your "ignore" list. It's really kind of a nice feature.

I haven't even thought of that. Interesting...

1 1,975
 04-15-2015, 06:35 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I imagine if somebody took deep enough offense they could slit their wrists with the antagonist's favourite razorblade; inflicting guilt so bad
a hairshirt of Merkurs and Bolzanos  the only relief.

2 3,171
 04-15-2015, 08:37 PM
User Info
(04-15-2015, 06:35 PM)kav Wrote: I imagine if somebody took deep enough offense they could slit their wrists with the antagonist's favourite razorblade; inflicting guilt so bad
a hairshirt of Merkurs and Bolzanos  the only relief.
Hahaa, too funny!

1 1,975
 04-16-2015, 04:58 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
Every member gets fed up with the forum at one time or another. Other members are not going to and neither should they change. The only thing to do is to leave the forum for 3 to 5 days. Don't read it, don't post , don't log in. Stay away completely. The separation allows perspective and you'll see what angered you was not worth the bother and you'll come to miss the forum and appreciate it as a whole, the good and the bad. Wink

15 541
 05-04-2015, 02:11 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(04-16-2015, 04:58 PM)Hanzo Wrote: Every member gets fed up with the forum at one time or another. Other members are not going to and neither should they change. The only thing to do is to leave the forum for 3 to 5 days. Don't read it, don't post , don't log in. Stay away completely. The separation allows perspective and you'll see what angered you was not worth the bother and you'll come to miss the forum and appreciate it as a whole, the good and the bad. Wink

This is very true.

13 3,411
 05-08-2015, 03:41 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Nobody's perfect. And we shouldn't expect that.  But we should demand civility and respect.

I've encountered more gentleman on TSN than any other forum.  And for that reason, I made the decision to be most active on TSN over any other forum.

177 1,662
 05-09-2015, 10:42 AM
  • Jovan
  • Banned
  • Traveling USA
User Info
(05-08-2015, 03:41 PM)Steelman Wrote: Nobody's perfect. And we shouldn't expect that.  But we should demand civility and respect.

I've encountered more gentleman on TSN than any other forum.  And for that reason, I made the decision to be most active on TSN over any other forum.

Very well stated.  I have only had ONE bad experience here on TSN and that was from an individual that I had a bad sale relationship on another forum.  Enough said.  The other day I posted a simple response to a question on alum blocks on another forum and got a chewing out for mentioning a brand that another individual had trashed (unfairly IMO).  Anyway it seems that I have nearly dropped from that forum because of the number of negative attacks on people for posting something that is not in agreement with another member.  Luckily here at TSN I have only seen respect and acceptance of others opinions but yes there are a few newbies that seem to think this is the 'other' forum and attempt to bully or intimidate someone, very ungentlemanly IMO.  Hopefully they will realize that we are not 'that type of forum' and go back to where they are more comfortable. 

2 479
 05-09-2015, 11:01 AM
User Info
(05-09-2015, 10:42 AM)Jovan Wrote:
(05-08-2015, 03:41 PM)Steelman Wrote: Nobody's perfect. And we shouldn't expect that.  But we should demand civility and respect.

Very well stated.  I have only had ONE bad experience here on TSN and that was from an individual that I had a bad sale relationship on another forum.  Enough said.  The other day I posted a simple response to a question on alum blocks on another forum and got a chewing out for mentioning a brand that another individual had trashed (unfairly IMO).  Anyway it seems that I have nearly dropped from that forum because of the number of negative attacks on people for posting something that is not in agreement with another member.  Luckily here at TSN I have only seen respect and acceptance of others opinions but yes there are a few newbies that seem to think this is the 'other' forum and attempt to bully or intimidate someone, very ungentlemanly IMO.  Hopefully they will realize that we are not 'that type of forum' and go back to where they are more comfortable. 
+1

64 5,180
 05-09-2015, 11:31 AM
User Info
OK, since this has now transformed into "this forum" vs "that forum", I'll chime in with what I see as the Elephant in the Nook.

Both forums have their place, both forums are visited by many and both forums are different.  There is not a single forum I can visit to talk about the vast array of products.  Some forums are more welcoming of discussion on certain hobbyists/vendors/makers like:  Ikon, Catties, Stirling, WSP, B&M, TSS, Connaught, Razor Emporium, Simpson, Kramperts and more....some forums have RV, WW, QCS, WCS, SCS, RR, Captains Choice etc.

I'm not saying any of these products can't be discussed on both places, but they are clearly more forum specific and welcoming on certain forums.

I also find this forum is expanding in shave talk and has shown it apprecaites its members in working with makers to put out the best LE brushes I have ever seen, no questions asked, not even up for debate...as well as LE Forums soaps and other goodies.  The other forum is expanding into shoes, coffee, tea and perhaps commercializing itself more then I'd like to see. 

Hopefully that makes as much sense on paper as it did in my head. 

8 2,718
 05-10-2015, 11:42 AM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
(05-09-2015, 11:31 AM)Bruce Wrote: OK, since this has now transformed into "this forum" vs "that forum", I'll chime in with what I see as the Elephant in the Nook.

Both forums have their place, both forums are visited by many and both forums are different.  There is not a single forum I can visit to talk about the vast array of products.  Some forums are more welcoming of discussion on certain hobbyists/vendors/makers like:  Ikon, Catties, Stirling, WSP, B&M, TSS, Connaught, Razor Emporium, Simpson, Kramperts and more....some forums have RV, WW, QCS, WCS, SCS, RR, Captains Choice etc.

I'm not saying any of these products can't be discussed on both places, but they are clearly more forum specific and welcoming on certain forums.

I also find this forum is expanding in shave talk and has shown it apprecaites its members in working with makers to put out the best LE brushes I have ever seen, no questions asked, not even up for debate...as well as LE Forums soaps and other goodies.  The other forum is expanding into shoes, coffee, tea and perhaps commercializing itself more then I'd like to see. 

Hopefully that makes as much sense on paper as it did in my head. 
Culture is the sum of attitudes and customs and beliefs one group has in relationship to another. Each forum has its own culture they are just different and either we adapt , accept or leave. The way the  major forums have all evolved and become different from one another is that a splinter group in disagreement  with the culture of a forum goes off to found another forum or shaving discussion group. 

15 541
 07-02-2015, 07:06 PM
User Info
Is it just me, or are tensions and online debating at an all time high here on TSN?

A few members seem to be going out of their way to spark squabbling.

8 2,718
 07-02-2015, 07:31 PM
User Info
(07-02-2015, 07:06 PM)Bruce Wrote: Is it just me, or are tensions and online debating at an all time high here on TSN?

What kind of forum would it be with a bunch of yes men patting each other on the back without learning anything? A circle jerk forum  Tongue  I think I know what member you are talking about and that member, whether you like his personality or not, contributes a lot of knowledge.

18 716
 07-02-2015, 07:32 PM
User Info

+1  [Image: 1QhOJwC.gif]

17 2,327
 07-02-2015, 07:40 PM
User Info
(07-02-2015, 07:06 PM)Bruce Wrote: Is it just me, or are tensions and online debating at an all time high here on TSN?

I haven't viewed any posts/threads that seemed ungentlemanly.

21 780
 07-02-2015, 07:44 PM
User Info
I guess its just me then.

8 2,718
 07-02-2015, 07:47 PM
User Info
(07-02-2015, 07:44 PM)Bruce Wrote: I guess its just me then.

I could very well have luckily missed something though.......very possible. I have been away from forums for months only recently returning.

21 780
 07-02-2015, 07:48 PM
User Info
(07-02-2015, 07:47 PM)minimalist Wrote:
(07-02-2015, 07:44 PM)Bruce Wrote: I guess its just me then.

I could very well have luckily missed something though.......very possible. I have been away from forums for months only recently returning.
I'm on the outside of most of it, a change from my past....so maybe that's the difference for me.

8 2,718
 07-02-2015, 08:00 PM
User Info
Yes, I have noticed several ungentlemanly posts recently that I have chosen not to get involved with. Offensive at times. Very out of character for this forum of respectful knowledgeable gents. But hey, I can change the channel when I need to.

46 1,282
 07-02-2015, 08:15 PM
User Info
I havent been on this forum that long. I have read other forums and I'll be honest with you I see a lot of "snobiery" going on ELSEWHERE if someone doesn't have the best gear , latest soap etc etc. I mean I understand we like what we like and some are richer than others but end of the day it's just shaving. I'm not going to get all worked up because somebody made a soap that smells like another soap etc. This is the only forum I am a member of  but I've never had anybody talk down to me in anyway.

I guess I have a thick skin, I don't get offended easily and dont sweat the small stuff again its just shaving. I will disclose this and I don't really like getting too personal but here you go and maybe some members can learn from this. I see a psychologist for PTSD. During my last session we got on the subject of texts messaging. My doc actually showed me several examples of harmless sentences however when you put them on a screen they show no emotion and can be left open for interpretation.  Point being had I been in person I would of known what the person sending the texts was trying to say,same with forums. People can say something and it can be taken however someone wants to take it.

I like this forum though and so far people have been really cool to me. I have seen some people's post that I know I would not click with and a conversation with them probably wouldn't go well so I don't talk to them. Same time if I dont like a product I may say I don't like said product but I'm not going to bash that product or maker every single time their name is brought up. Bottom line its just shaving. I choose to treat everyone with the upmost respect and courtsey,however when or if you treat me different no big deal we won't speak again and I'll head back to the real world.

3 1,356