03-22-2015, 06:43 AM
User Info
I never thought I'd be endorsing a $200+ blender, let along a $400+ one....but my goodness this thing is amazing.

We had been using Kitchen Aid blenders since we got marries and gone through 2-3 in the last 15 years, they were pretty good, solid, heavy, glass jars.  They'd last a few years then konk out or the glass on the jar lid would start to chip as my wife would tap the yogurt off the spoon on it.   When the last KA konked out, started to slow down, I decided to splurge and gift her a Vitamix.  She had been hinting at it, so I knew getting an appliance for Valentine's Day would be OK (it was accompanied by flowers).

After researching and comparing Vitamix and Blendtec, I opted for the more basic Vitamix with High/Low, Variable settings.  I'm not one for presets, digital displays and all that stuff.  Costco had a nice unit, variable speed, Costco return policy and fit the budget.  It's now been in use for just over a month and must say, it has exceeded all expectations...even for a blender that cost $420.  I wouldn't advise anyone to run out and get one if your blender is operational and fully functioning, but if you are in the market and can afford the price tag without sacrificing in others areas, it may be worth looking at.  I actually enjoy the BPB free, plastic jar as it's lighter and won't chip.  The base is fully sealed and waterproof and cleaning is breeze by hand (they do NOT recommend dishwasher).  For cleaning, you simply rinse it out, fill with a bit of water and dish soap and then turn it on.

Last week they were giving demonstrations at Costco and we tried the Sorbet...it was simply, 1 orange and some ice and just as good as anything you'd order at a stand or restaurant.

Not cheap, definitely a splurge item, but one that I wish we had purchased years ago.

[Image: vitamix-blender-vita-mix-turbo-blend-ble...-popup.jpg]

1. I do not receive any compensation from any company for my product reviews in cash or free products.
  2. I do not receive free review products
  3. I purchase all products that I review and keep them, unless I resell them or give them away to a friend/relative. Usually I just keep it. I have WAY too much stuff.

8 2,718
 03-22-2015, 06:50 AM
User Info
http://www.amazon.de/Smoothie-Icecrusher...=mixer+jtc
Also search for Omniblend V
This is the kind I have in use for two years. Price has gone up since, it is a  similar machine. I am not saying it is the same
The Vitamix looks awesome!

21 1,175
 03-22-2015, 06:57 AM
User Info
(03-22-2015, 06:50 AM)Bibbelmann Wrote: http://www.amazon.de/Smoothie-Icecrusher...=mixer+jtc
This is the kindI have in use.Price has gone up since, it is a  similar machine. I am not saying it is the same
The Vitamix looks awesome!

That's a good looking machine too.  I see it has the tamper as well.  We were unsure about that thing when we got it, but I love it.  Pushes any fruit/ice from the top right down to the chopper blades and stops just in time.

I've never seen the one in your link, it must me more of a UK marketed item...looks impressive and gets great reviews.  As you said, Benders seem to be hot right now with people wanting to make smoothies and drinks, so prices are going up.  Apparently Vitamix and Blendtec were much cheaper 4-5y ago too.

8 2,718
 03-22-2015, 07:02 AM
User Info
We got a Vitamix a few years ago and it's been nothing short of remarkable. It pulverizes everything. For our daughters it's great because I make smoothies and sneak in some greens. It blends everything up so much they can't tell what's in there; prior blenders would still leave flecks of peas and stuff.

What's especially nice and makes it unique in its "weight class" is its variable speed. It's great to be able to slowly ramp up and down.

Finally while we haven't needed it, I've read testimonial after testimonial about vitamix's unparalleled customer service. The thing is built like a tank though so I don't foresee any issues (knock on wood). The problem with many blenders is that the motor isn't strong enough to handle the "workload" and so it burns out. The vitamix's motor could probably power our minivan.

In the US if you have a Costco membership they go on sale for around $400 each year and the model they feature, the 5200, is their flagship blender, so you don't have to worry about getting a lesser version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

84 1,505
 03-22-2015, 07:25 AM
User Info
We recently purchased the same unit at costco. it has paid for itself already because we have a 9 month old and it is so much cheaper to make your own baby food not to mention healthier. The ease of use with the Vitamix is amazing and it has a 7 or 8 year warranty.

2 79
 03-22-2015, 07:41 AM
User Info
My dad got our first VM at the NY Worlds Fair in the 60s. For most of my life we've had one. There were a few years when I strayed and hated it. Then many years ago I decided I'd had enough and bought another. We're on our 3rd (or is it 4th?) VM and I use them really hard. They're expensive but worth every penny. I think it was among the items I wrote about in the thread "Cooking gear that works" or some such name.

32 6,460
 03-22-2015, 07:45 AM
User Info
100% LOVE my Vitamix. Wish it fit under my kitchen cabinets, but I am not ready to purchase the 48oz container.
[Image: b5x20D3.jpg]

39 3,920
 03-22-2015, 07:57 AM
User Info
@primotenore that is out only complaint too. We just store the top separate from the base.

We're just about to start a kitchen reno and won't plan around it, but will have a fee places where there are no upper cabinets so that should work.

8 2,718
 03-22-2015, 08:01 AM
User Info
(03-22-2015, 07:57 AM)Bruce Wrote: @primotenore that is out only complaint too.  We just store the top separate from the base.

We're just about to start a kitchen reno and won't plan around it, but will have a fee places where there are no upper cabinets so that should work.
Good luck on the remodel. From one who has gone through one of those, I would suggest you do not compromise on your work space. You can NEVER have too much.  Thumbup

39 3,920
 03-22-2015, 08:03 AM
User Info
(03-22-2015, 08:01 AM)primotenore Wrote:
(03-22-2015, 07:57 AM)Bruce Wrote: @primotenore that is out only complaint too.  We just store the top separate from the base.

Good luck on the remodel. From one who has gone through one of those, I would suggest you do not compromise on your work space. You can NEVER have too much. 

Thanks.  We're knocking out walls, moving the back door, window and it's getting a full makeover.  We'll have a heck of a lot more storage then we ever imagined. A complete gutting and upgrade of everything.

We waited a long time, the house will be paid off in a couple months (or now if we wanted) and are going to do it right.

8 2,718
 03-22-2015, 08:11 AM
  • ncguy1
  • TARHEEL
  • North Carolina
User Info
My wife has been wanting a juicer for some time now and I haven't been able to find one that didn't have a bunch of bad reviews or just didn't jump out at us. Will the Vitamix blend things enough to be considered a juicer? Or I guess my question is will it blend the pulps up enough and not leave you with a crunchy/grainy juice? 

18 260
 03-22-2015, 08:14 AM
User Info
Thanks for the comparison to the Blendtec, which I've heard great things about. If I could afford one right now, the Vitamix model you chose would be my choice also. I love to make smoothies and have had to do without for too long. It would be cheaper, but I'm just not sold on the PR from the Ninja line.

29 1,776
 03-22-2015, 08:58 AM
User Info
(03-22-2015, 08:11 AM)ncguy1 Wrote: My wife has been wanting a juicer for some time now and I haven't been able to find one that didn't have a bunch of bad reviews or just didn't jump out at us. Will the Vitamix blend things enough to be considered a juicer? Or I guess my question is will it blend the pulps up enough and not leave you with a crunchy/grainy juice? 

Juicers and blenders are two completely different items. The Vitamix is a blender that will "liquify" anything put into it. A juicer (I use the Omega 8006) - here is a link: http://www.omegajuicers.com/juicers/juicer-8006.html separates the juice from the pulp (fiber).
I choose to blend my fruit for smoothies with my Vitamix and juice my vegetables with my Omega.
There is a fantastic Youtube channel: Discountjuicers.com. All of your juicing/blending questions will be answered there.

39 3,920
 03-22-2015, 09:14 AM
  • ncguy1
  • TARHEEL
  • North Carolina
User Info
(03-22-2015, 08:58 AM)primotenore Wrote:
(03-22-2015, 08:11 AM)ncguy1 Wrote: My wife has been wanting a juicer for some time now and I haven't been able to find one that didn't have a bunch of bad reviews or just didn't jump out at us. Will the Vitamix blend things enough to be considered a juicer? Or I guess my question is will it blend the pulps up enough and not leave you with a crunchy/grainy juice? 

Juicers and blenders are two completely different items. The Vitamix is a blender that will "liquify" anything put into it. A juicer (I use the Omega 8006) - here is a link: http://www.omegajuicers.com/juicers/juicer-8006.html separates the juice from the pulp (fiber).
I choose to blend my fruit for smoothies with my Vitamix and juice my vegetables with my Omega.
There is a fantastic Youtube channel: Discountjuicers.com. All of your juicing/blending questions will be answered there.
Yes, I've explained the difference between juicers and blenders to my wife. Leaving the pulp in doesn't necessarily mean it's not a juicer. The "Ninja Juicer" leaves the pulp in and it's named a juicer.  We looked at juicers that removed the pulp but most of them seem to waste alot of what you put into them.Like using huge bowls of fruit just for half a glass of juice.

She has said that it's ok to get a machine that leaves the pulp in as long as its blended enough to not be real grainy or chunky.  I mean we have a regular blender but wanted something that was more powerful I guess to blend seeds and all.

18 260
 03-22-2015, 09:20 AM
  • ncguy1
  • TARHEEL
  • North Carolina
User Info
Actually I think it's called a Nutri Ninja and not a Juice Ninja but I know it leaves the pulp in.

18 260
 03-22-2015, 09:21 AM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info

I have one of these and its incredible and dose liquify anything.

I don't know if you guys have Orange Julius or Booster Juice in the US but if your curious as to performance they use Vitamix machines. its a great excuse to go have a treat! Biggrin  

28 1,622
 03-22-2015, 09:29 AM
User Info
Vitamix Blender is the next "splurge" item I plan on buying. I've had my eye on one for a few years now, and finally decided to buy one. After reading this review, I almost can't wait!

2 237
 03-22-2015, 09:30 AM
  • ncguy1
  • TARHEEL
  • North Carolina
User Info
(03-22-2015, 09:21 AM)jamesrobson5 Wrote:

I don't know if you guys have Orange Julius or Booster Juice in the US but if your curious as to performance they use Vitamix machines. its a great excuse to go have a treat! Biggrin  

Ohhh it's been yearsssss since I've had an Orange Julius. There was one at the local Mall here probably 30 years ago or more. It's funny because when I was explaining juicers versus blenders to my wife I asked her if she had ever had an orange julius before but she had never heard of them. I didn't know those were still around.

18 260
 03-22-2015, 09:38 AM
User Info
(03-22-2015, 09:21 AM)jamesrobson5 Wrote:

Yup, we have both up here. Our smoothie today was just as thick and flavorful as Booster and we were able to make 3 of them for the cost of peanuts.

I had no idea that's what they used. The big debate between Vitamox and Blendtec always talks about Starbucks using Blendtec...but whenever we get a Frappuccino from there, we always have huge chunks of ice that is uncrushed. I'm not knocking anyone with a Blendtec as they have their fans and are well built machines too.

(03-22-2015, 09:29 AM)el_mustango Wrote: Vitamix Blender is the next "splurge" item I plan on buying. I've had my eye on one for a few years now, and finally decided to buy one. After reading this review, I almost can't wait!

You'll enjoy it. It was a splurge purchase for us, but knowing how well it performs, the price was justifiable.

8 2,718
 03-22-2015, 09:40 AM
User Info
(03-22-2015, 09:14 AM)ncguy1 Wrote:
(03-22-2015, 08:58 AM)primotenore Wrote:

Yes, I've explained the difference between juicers and blenders to my wife. Leaving the pulp in doesn't necessarily mean it's not a juicer. The "Ninja Juicer" leaves the pulp in and it's named a juicer.  We looked at juicers that removed the pulp but most of them seem to waste alot of what you put into them.Like using huge bowls of fruit just for half a glass of juice.

She has said that it's ok to get a machine that leaves the pulp in as long as its blended enough to not be real grainy or chunky.  I mean we have a regular blender but wanted something that was more powerful I guess to blend seeds and all.

The Vitamix will most definitely liquify most everything (even flax seed); leaving no grainy texture, or chunks behind. Sometimes you have to utilize the pusher to get everything down into the blades. Here is a link to the factory reconditioned Vitamix: https://www.vitamix.com/shop/Certified-R...ducts.aspx 
I bought my daughter one from here and saved 25% over retail. 5 year warranty too. 
(You can upgrade to a 7 year, but that'll cost you)
However, a "juicer" removes (separates) the pulp, either by mastication and a sieve or via a centrifuge/blade. The Ninja may call itself a "juicer" ( I haven't seen this), but it's a blender. 

39 3,920