03-23-2015, 11:34 AM
  • ncguy1
  • TARHEEL
  • North Carolina
User Info
[Image: 2IoXK8s.jpg]

Had my first shave with the Mongoose today and all can say is WOW!  Well actually I can say a lot more but that's the first thing that comes to mind. This was my first shave with a SE razor so I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out. My face and neck has NEVER felt this good after a shave. I have absolutely NO razor burn at all, and for my sensitive skin,this is truly amazing. Now it has me wondering if the SE is the better choice for me than my DE razors or is the Mongoose just this smooth. Either way, my face and neck are REALLY liking the Goose and it won't be easy to put this one down.

I also just got my samples in from Garry's Sample Shop. I'm trying out the Floid and Pitralon aftershaves.I went with the Floid Blue first for no reason other than it was just the one that I grabbed first. I like the clean smell of the Blue right off the bat so I'll definitely be getting a bottle of this. Any suggestions on which one to try next?

On a side note I would like to apologize to the OCDers out there for me not pairing the sample bottles together by their brand. I didn't do this on purpose, but I did want to point it out.   24  Biggrin  

18 260
 03-23-2015, 05:06 PM
User Info
Agreed - 1st shave with this razor was an eye-opener, my DE razors have been neglected ever since.  Just curious, which blade did you use?  Love that you can adjust the aggressiveness of this razor depending on the blade.  

53 1,199
 03-23-2015, 05:20 PM
  • ncguy1
  • TARHEEL
  • North Carolina
User Info
(03-23-2015, 05:06 PM)david1201 Wrote: Agreed - 1st shave with this razor was an eye-opener, my DE razors have been neglected ever since.  Just curious, which blade did you use?  Love that you can adjust the aggressiveness of this razor depending on the blade.  

[Image: a2GZG5s.jpg]

I used one of these that I got from Phil with my 15% discount Thumbup

It really was a great shave.

18 260
 03-23-2015, 05:21 PM
  • clint64
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
I agree the Mongoose is a really smooth razor.  Tomorrow's shave will be my 60th shave with the Goose since getting it on 12/31/14.  I have used all the different blades available for the razor and they all work for me as a daily shaver with the exception of the Feather Super Pro.  It gave me a fantastic shave but it's just a little to much for me to use on a daily basis. 

7 1,223
 03-23-2015, 05:22 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Glad you had such a nice first shave! I would give the Pitralon Swiss a try. 

59 4,491
 03-23-2015, 05:23 PM
  • ncguy1
  • TARHEEL
  • North Carolina
User Info
Being my first SE I didn't have the nerve to try a more aggressive blade than this but as it turns out these were perfect for me.

18 260
 03-23-2015, 05:26 PM
  • ncguy1
  • TARHEEL
  • North Carolina
User Info
(03-23-2015, 05:22 PM)eengler Wrote: Glad you had such a nice first shave! I would give the Pitralon Swiss a try. 

Yeah I've seen that in the SOTD thread and everyone says that they like it.

18 260
 03-23-2015, 05:32 PM
User Info
The Mongoose has been "THE" razor for me since getting mine in Batch 1 last September. No other razor has seen any face-time since. I stopped tracking but I am well over 100 uses and don't see myself using anything but Mongoose or a razor similar to it in the future. 

Congrats on such a great first shave. Not everyone can claim that. Now enjoy the great shaves, experiment with blades, and pick up a few different handles as well. 

Godspeed!

31 8,057
 03-23-2015, 05:48 PM
  • ncguy1
  • TARHEEL
  • North Carolina
User Info
(03-23-2015, 05:32 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: The Mongoose has been "THE" razor for me since getting mine in Batch 1 last September. No other razor has seen any face-time since. I stopped tracking but I am well over 100 uses and don't see myself using anything but Mongoose or a razor similar to it in the future. 

Congrats on such a great first shave. Not everyone can claim that. Now enjoy the great shaves, experiment with blades, and pick up a few different handles as well. 

Godspeed!

I told my wife that even though it was only one shave,it was going to be impossible to put this razor down for another one. That's when she said "good maybe you can stop buying razors now"!   A47

I told her I was looking for handles now. Biggrin

18 260
 03-23-2015, 06:51 PM
User Info
^^^ Well played sir, well played. Thumbup

31 8,057
 03-23-2015, 06:59 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
Congratulations.  Looks like you hit the lotto on AS samples there too.  Got some great ones in there.

Enjoy your Mongoose...

18 1,186
 03-23-2015, 07:16 PM
  • ncguy1
  • TARHEEL
  • North Carolina
User Info
(03-23-2015, 06:59 PM)CRAusmus Wrote: Congratulations.  Looks like you hit the lotto on AS samples there too.  Got some great ones in there.

Enjoy your Mongoose...

Thank you. Yeah I'm new to aftershaves so it's going to take a while to find a favorite for me. With my sensitive skin, I used to only shave once or twice a week for years and never used anything afterwards. Now I feel like a kid in a candy store wanting to try it all. The only thing that irks me is that I've been missing out all these years and didn't even know it.

18 260
 03-23-2015, 07:54 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
(03-23-2015, 07:16 PM)ncguy1 Wrote:
(03-23-2015, 06:59 PM)CRAusmus Wrote: Congratulations.  Looks like you hit the lotto on AS samples there too.  Got some great ones in there.

Enjoy your Mongoose...

Thank you. Yeah I'm new to aftershaves so it's going to take a while to find a favorite for me. With my sensitive skin, I used to only shave once or twice a week for years and never used anything afterwards. Now I feel like a kid in a candy store wanting to try it all. The only thing that irks me is that I've been missing out all these years and didn't even know it.

Trying new stuff is the best part of our little hobby.  Just make sure you put Myrsol somewhere in there too.  It's a must try as well.  I actually liked it more than Floid, but that's a whole 'other section of the forum.

The "Goose" is a great razor.  I'm hoping that the Aluminum version hits a bit closer to my price range when it comes out, but I got to try the stainless steel on the tour and it does give an amazing shave.  Enjoy it in the best of health.

18 1,186
 03-23-2015, 08:02 PM
  • ncguy1
  • TARHEEL
  • North Carolina
User Info
I'll be sure to give Myrsol a try. 

18 260
 03-23-2015, 08:16 PM
User Info
Congratulations on the success with the Mongoose! 

83 21,077
 04-01-2015, 01:43 AM
User Info
I have mine on the way from the USA, paid way too much for it but i hope its worth it.  got to say though i get a great shave with my standard razor.

0 37
 04-05-2015, 01:17 PM
  • HarryO
  • FLA, USA.
User Info
Nice write up on the Mongoose. I just communicated with the company to put my name of the wait list for the next production.
Wanted to know if you still like your mongoose. I too have issues with facial and neck irritation so your write up really got my attention. Which razor do you have and what finish is it in? Do you find it difficult to find blades? I find that I like a heavy handle  how is the handle on the mongoose ( I have several ikon and Weber) hope they will fit. Also, interested in Gary sample shop is he still offering samples? How can I find him.?
Thanks again,
HarryO

21 463
 04-05-2015, 02:26 PM
  • ncguy1
  • TARHEEL
  • North Carolina
User Info
(04-05-2015, 01:17 PM)HarryO Wrote: Nice write up on the Mongoose. I just communicated with the company to put my name of the wait list for the next production.
Wanted to know if you still like your mongoose. I too have issues with facial and neck irritation so your write up really got my attention. Which razor do you have and what finish is it in? Do you find it difficult to find blades? I find that I like a heavy handle  how is the handle on the mongoose ( I have several ikon and Weber) hope they will fit. Also, interested in Gary sample shop is he still offering samples? How can I find him.?
Thanks again,
HarryO

Yep I still like my Mongoose. I haven't shaved with anything else since getting it. I'm using the B2 satin finish with bomber handle now but I've got a polished Mongoose with a dub Slim handle on the way with some Feather blades to try. It's not hard at all to find blades for it,just deciding which ones to try first.  I'm not sure if I'm able to post a link to Garry's samples here but just Google search "Garry's Sample Shop" and you'll find him.(it's Garry with 2 r's). He still has a huge assortment of samples listed.

18 260
 04-05-2015, 04:03 PM
  • HarryO
  • FLA, USA.
User Info
(04-05-2015, 02:26 PM)ncguy1 Wrote:
(04-05-2015, 01:17 PM)Harry Thanks for your response . I found Garry and already place an order. Thanks for the input. Mongoose told me it would be a couple of weeks before next production, so I am in a hold pattern. Thank again. Wrote: Nice write up on the Mongoose. I just communicated with the company to put my name of the wait list for the next production.
Thanks again,
HarryO

Yep I still like my Mongoose. I haven't shaved with anything else since getting it. I'm using the B2 satin finish with bomber handle now but I've got a polished Mongoose with a dub Slim handle on the way with some Feather blades to try. It's not hard at all to find blades for it,just deciding which ones to try first.  I'm not sure if I'm able to post a link to Garry's samples here but just Google search "Garry's Sample Shop" and you'll find him.(it's Garry with 2 r's). He still has a huge assortment of samples listed.

21 463
 04-07-2015, 03:11 AM
  • HarryO
  • FLA, USA.
User Info
I would like to buy a Mongoose. Where did you folks purchase  them? I went to Facebook and found an e-mail address for folks out of Miami. They said that the next production of the Mongoose is weeks away. The best I could do was to put my name on a long wait list. Is there any other vendors who sell the Mongoose?
Thanks for your help.

21 463