03-24-2015, 12:13 PM
User Info
I am curious if anyone has had problems at airports with the TSA and straight razors or shavettes? Also will they confiscate shaving cream, soap tubs, pre-shave or after shave balms and lotions. I have had toothpaste removed from my luggage and thought this could be a problem.

6 166
 03-24-2015, 12:21 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
TSA is a MAJOR problem when it come to shaving stuff.  They will not let you take a straight, shavette, or DE (if it has blades) in you carry on bag.  It has to be shipped in the belly of the plane.

Nothing containing alcohol is allowed in carry on.  Balms and lotions have to be no more that 3 ounces and they have to be placed in a quart zip lock bag for inspection.

When I fly I either pack everything in my large suitcase for checkin or I FedEx it to where I'm going.

179 23,928
 03-24-2015, 12:26 PM
User Info
Here's the list what you can and cannot bring on board (and whether its allowed on carry-on, checked, or neither):

TSA guidelines

In short, cartridge razors OK across the board.  Safety razors are OK* across the board, but the blades are only allowed in checked baggage.  Soap I believe is OK (i.e. doesn't have to be in a clear baggie) but cream, balms, etc. do have to be in clear baggie, as Johnny said. 

*I have found that while safety razors are OK to carry on (and I will buy blades at my destination) it takes some talking with the agent.  One time it was a lot of fun and the agent was actually pretty interested in the whole thing.  Another time it was like I was trying to talk myself out of a speeding ticket.  Ever since then I've been taking cartridge razors when I use carry-ons.

84 1,505
 03-24-2015, 12:29 PM
User Info
I agree with Johnny.  I usually take a checked suitcase anyway, so I always put my bathroom stuff in there with my clothes.  I only carry my iPad, laptop, and medicine in my backpack.  That way I can breeze right through TSA.  I do on occasion have a note in my checked bag that it was inspected by TSA.  That is usually due to packing some test equipment though.  I'm sure that looks suspicious on the Xray  Biggrin  

Knock on wood, I haven't had anything come up missing yet!  I do head out again next week though.....  Confused

21 555
 03-24-2015, 12:34 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I'm positive that if you tried to get a straight through TSA on a carry-on, you'd end up at GITMO. No way they would (on purpose) allow a straight on.

Regarding shavettes, there really is no 'legal' reason to disallow them (without a blade) but I would imagine that you would need to spend 20 minutes explaining to TSA that without a blade, it isn't sharp. Expect to speak with at lease three supervisors, and possibly be subjected to a body cavity search.

Soaps, and especially croaps, are very interesting. Bar soap isn't subject to any TSA regulations. I think you could fill your entire carry-on with 30lbs. of hard soap, and you'd be fine. However, creams would definitely be subject to the 3-1-1 rule. (Limited to 100ml container inside of a clear bag.) So where would a croap fit in? It probably depends on how nice you are to the TSA agent. My gut says a standard 125ml croap container would most likely not attract much attention. If you had 10 of them in your carry-on, you would probably spend some time explaining yourself. And if you make the TSA agent mad, they probably have enough 'legal' justification to confiscate it.

As far as checked luggage, the only thing I was aware they could confiscate were unregistered firearms, anything that oxidizes very quickly, (gunpowder or matches, for example) and pressurized containers. (Which could pose an explosion risk in an un-pressurized cargo cabin.) I think straights, balms, pre-shaves and creams would be fine in the belly. (Of the plane.) I can't imagine they would classify toothpaste as a pressurized container. Even if it "exploded" mid flight, it would only make your clothes smell minty fresh. There's no way it could damage anything outside of your luggage.

22 835
 03-24-2015, 04:37 PM
User Info
(03-24-2015, 12:26 PM)jpakstis Wrote: Here's the list what you can and cannot bring on board (and whether its allowed on carry-on, checked, or neither):

TSA guidelines

In short, cartridge razors OK across the board.  Safety razors are OK* across the board, but the blades are only allowed in checked baggage.  Soap I believe is OK (i.e. doesn't have to be in a clear baggie) but cream, balms, etc. do have to be in clear baggie, as Johnny said. 

*I have found that while safety razors are OK to carry on (and I will buy blades at my destination) it takes some talking with the agent.  One time it was a lot of fun and the agent was actually pretty interested in the whole thing.  Another time it was like I was trying to talk myself out of a speeding ticket.  Ever since then I've been taking cartridge razors when I use carry-ons.
My business trips are usually a couple of days and I try to take carry on if at all possible.  Remember when flying was fun?  Looks like I will need a electric.

6 166
 03-24-2015, 04:54 PM
User Info
My mom went to Mexico just recently. The Mexican version of the TSA was no hassle at all when flying back. really I'm not sure what the big deal is. I'm not sure I will ever fly out of principle. 

18 713
 03-24-2015, 05:03 PM
User Info
(03-24-2015, 04:37 PM)A CUT ABOVE Wrote: My business trips are usually a couple of days and I try to take carry on if at all possible.  Remember when flying was fun?  Looks like I will need a electric.

Yeah it's no fun (I remember when I would fly home from law school on the west coast for holidays and usually they would keep the last 10 rows unoccupied). I have found that Bic single blade disposables are my favorite cheap TSA-friendly alternatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

84 1,505
 03-29-2015, 05:52 AM
User Info
I've never had a problem with soap.

I did get a 'loaded' safety razor through without a problem once about 2 years ago (the thought being that if it was flagged, I would take the blade out so they could dispose of it then and there, and just by a cheap pack of blades at a CVS, Walgreen's or mega grocery at my destination. The risk was having the entire DE confiscated rather than just the blade it contained.).

And straights always go in checked luggage (e.g. belly of the plane). 

As for cream and liquids -- when traveling last month (Dulles, VA to Orlando, FL), I was pleased to find that at both airports the scans were much quicker and less intrusive with dogs and finger swab scanners (e.g. chemical detection checks) taking the place of having computer bags open and clear baggies with toiletries out during bag scans.  E.g. No more taking shoes off or having to open any luggage.  Still a royal PIA - but all-in-all, much quicker and less intrusive.

Bottom line:  Follow the most current TSA rules and you shouldn't have any problems or major inconveniences.

3 147
 03-29-2015, 06:14 AM
User Info
(03-29-2015, 05:52 AM)Malacoda Wrote: I've never had a problem with soap.

I did get a 'loaded' safety razor through without a problem once about 2 years ago (the thought being that if it was flagged, I would take the blade out so they could dispose of it then and there, and just by a cheap pack of blades at a CVS, Walgreen's or mega grocery at my destination. The risk was having the entire DE confiscated rather than just the blade it contained.).

And straights always go in checked luggage (e.g. belly of the plane). 

As for cream and liquids -- when traveling last month (Dulles, VA to Orlando, FL), I was pleased to find that at both airports the scans were much quicker and less intrusive with dogs and finger swab scanners (e.g. chemical detection checks) taking the place of having computer bags open and clear baggies with toiletries out during bag scans.  E.g. No more taking shoes off or having to open any luggage.  Still a royal PIA - but all-in-all, much quicker and less intrusive.

Bottom line:  Follow the most current TSA rules and you shouldn't have any problems or major inconveniences.

Just got back from a trip and I spoke to the TSA in Fort Lauderdale and they said a safety razor is fine and they suggested to take it apart with no blade in it so they can easily scan it.  I took a small sample of soap in a plastic bag and the blade was in a wrapper in a small metal razor blade case.  Went through without a problem.  My shoes created more of a problem. They did say each location is different and it depends on whose on the  machine.  If it protects us, its worth the trouble.

6 166
 03-30-2015, 02:09 PM
User Info
Never had any issues, but I make sure my checked bag has all of my gear.

80 947
 03-31-2015, 04:57 AM
User Info
(03-29-2015, 06:14 AM)A CUT ABOVE Wrote: Just got back from a trip and I spoke to the TSA in Fort Lauderdale and they said a safety razor is fine and they suggested to take it apart with no blade in it so they can easily scan it.  I took a small sample of soap in a plastic bag and the blade was in a wrapper in a small metal razor blade case.  Went through without a problem.  My shoes created more of a problem. They did say each location is different and it depends on whose on the  machine.  If it protects us, its worth the trouble.

Two questions if you don't mind clarifying:

1) Are you talking carry-ons?

2) And if so did the TSA say that carrying on a DE razor blade was OK? It's my understanding from the TSA website itself that while carrying on safety razors was OK, it was not OK to carry on blades.

84 1,505
 03-31-2015, 05:01 AM
User Info
I travel frequently from Newark airport . Most of the time I take my DE and blades no problem in carry on. However , my last trip I was stopped and asked to remove blades from my shaving box . I looked at screening agent and he looked like young kid just joined TSA and was very enthusiastic. He was giving everyone a hard time .

My assumption here , all depends on TSA screening agent .

61 3,072
 03-31-2015, 05:26 AM
User Info
(03-31-2015, 04:57 AM)jpakstis Wrote:
(03-29-2015, 06:14 AM)A CUT ABOVE Wrote: Just got back from a trip and I spoke to the TSA in Fort Lauderdale and they said a safety razor is fine and they suggested to take it apart with no blade in it so they can easily scan it.  I took a small sample of soap in a plastic bag and the blade was in a wrapper in a small metal razor blade case.  Went through without a problem.  My shoes created more of a problem. They did say each location is different and it depends on whose on the  machine.  If it protects us, its worth the trouble.

Two questions if you don't mind clarifying:

1) Are you talking carry-ons?

2) And if so did the TSA say that carrying on a DE razor blade was OK?  It's my understanding from the TSA website itself that while carrying on safety razors was OK, it was not OK to carry on blades.

I asked about taking on a safety razor and they said it was ok in carry on.  The blade was not.  I put a blade in a small metal blade case and it went through.  I guess it depends on the person screening.

6 166
 03-31-2015, 05:28 AM
User Info
(03-31-2015, 05:01 AM)Cricket203 Wrote: I travel frequently from Newark airport . Most of the time I take my DE and blades no problem in carry on. However , my last trip I was stopped and asked to remove blades from my shaving box . I looked at screening agent and he looked like  young kid just joined TSA and was very enthusiastic. He was giving everyone a hard time .

My assumption here , all depends on TSA screening agent .

Absolutely correct.  Contrary to their posting, there are no, pardon the pun, cut and dry rules and regulations they follow.  Goes back to the person screening not the rules.

6 166
 03-31-2015, 05:29 AM
User Info
(03-31-2015, 05:26 AM)A CUT ABOVE Wrote: I asked about taking on a safety razor and they said it was ok in carry on.  The blade was not.  I put a blade in a small metal blade case and it went through.  I guess it depends on the person screening.

Thanks for the clarification.

84 1,505
 04-26-2016, 03:49 PM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
So today for the first time my Schick Hydromagic was pulled out of my carry on. I was asked to get rid of the blade. Looks like I'll either do checked bags from here on out or some type of disposable . Ugh.

19 753
 04-26-2016, 04:16 PM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
My experience has been hit or miss with TSA confiscating DE razors from carry on.  I avoid checking in luggage if I can, and so now have had to resort to cartridge razors during travel.

Eric

49 987
 04-26-2016, 04:27 PM
User Info
(04-26-2016, 03:49 PM)Deuce Wrote: So today for the first time my Schick Hydromagic was pulled out of my carry on. I was asked to get rid of the blade. Looks like I'll either do checked bags from here on out or some type of disposable . Ugh.

I'm glad they didn't take it.

61 3,796
 04-26-2016, 06:16 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info

flying used to be an adventure people DRESSED for. Sometimes I get a ride with a restored Curtiss C 46 Commando out of nearby Camarillo airport; home to many vintage aircraft. I don't even want to remember how train travel used to be.

2 3,171