03-24-2015, 01:00 PM
User Info
It's getting warmer here in FL and I've decided to get a hat for golfing and wandering about that gives better protection from the sun than traditional golf caps. Given that it gets HOT here in the summer, I prefer a hat that is not too heavy and definitely breathable. The models I am most attracted to are these; T5MO, T5 Hemp and the TMH5. I do not like the nylon hats and wish to stay with a more natural fiber construction. Would anyone have experience with these Tilleys and offer advice? Thanks,

RR

8 72
 03-24-2015, 01:11 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
I've never owned a Tilley, but I think if you are going to spend money on a good hat, the Tilley is the one you should spend it on.  It is guaranteed for life.  They'll replace it for free if it's ever lost, you just have to give them a good story about how you lost it.

They used to include some of the stories with each of their hats.  There are some pretty funny stories out there about how the hat was lost.  Just the fact that it's got a lifetime guarantee makes it worth the price alone.

http://www.tilley.com/us_en/tilley-stories

18 1,186
 03-24-2015, 01:18 PM
User Info
I wear a Panama, as a non golfer is this good etiquette?

http://www.christys-hats.com/

0 278
 03-24-2015, 01:36 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
I would highly recommend the Tilly. Clinton made all the great points of mention with the brand. Functionally they wear well and the warm weather hats circulate the air. Chin tie comes in handy for wind and I'm pretty sure they all float. Best of luck!

59 4,385
 03-24-2015, 01:48 PM
User Info
Get a Sombrero! More sun blockage plus you will distract other golfers improving your game in the process! 
Biggrin

147 3,461
 03-24-2015, 02:49 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I have worn one of THESE Tilley Hats for the past 16 years. I would not be without it in the summer months.

175 23,752
 03-24-2015, 03:16 PM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
My Dad had a Tilley hat for over 20 years. It has been on all kinds of adventures, cruses, canoe trips, hiking, sailing and everything in between.
They say that its such a good hat that you should put it in your will... so he did. Lucky for me and my brother he had two so we both have one now.
I have worn it for yard work for the past 8 years.  Its a great hat and you can't go wrong. 

28 1,620
 03-24-2015, 03:18 PM
User Info
Nothing beats a Tilley IMO, I have the TH4, it's made of Hemp and its mold and mildew resistance is why I purchased it. I wear it fly fishing and it has hit the water as much as my flies and still good as new. I wear it around town, at flea markets and back yard cookouts. It's a go anywhere, do anything hat for me, if it came in houndstooth I would have bought two, lol.

8 264
 03-24-2015, 03:25 PM
User Info
I use the wide brim lightweight Tilleys, both a summer flo-through and a "winter" hat (no flo-through). There's no way you'd ever get them off my head without killing me first, and you'd have your hands full with that. Does that explain it? I love my Tilleys. It's good gear, but we don't have anywhere near the heat you have and I didn't do the research to find the models you refer to. Links would have worked better; sorry.

32 6,445
 03-24-2015, 05:36 PM
User Info
No way....a good Palm hat is king. A Panama or a palm leaf cowboy hat.  

0 1,007
 03-25-2015, 02:29 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I have had about 4 Tilley summer hats in about 20 years. The reason being that I gave 3 away to friends and relatives that liked them so much. The one I have now is this one http://www.tilley.com/canada_en/ltm5-airflor.html, I think because I bought it at a thrift store like new for about 15 bucks iirc. I like it very much and better than the other ones I had that were their standard weight ones. Never seem to without a Tilley hat for any length of time.

Bob

0 1,694
 03-25-2015, 03:18 AM
User Info
Hmm....I'm going to have to keep an eye out for one of these. They look good, and I spend a lot of time outdoors, so it would be nice to have one. 

37 1,743
 03-25-2015, 03:32 AM
User Info
I swear I just saw these at Costco by me. I'll check and report back.

0 854
 03-25-2015, 04:43 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I've had the same Tilley Hat for the last 30 years.  It's one of their original sailing hats and is made from canvas.  Unfortunately I find it a bit heavy and too hot on hot days.  I've looked at theirs line of hats on the market currently and the stylings are not to my liking not to mention the prices.  In case you didn't know, the company is up for sale.

5 882
 03-25-2015, 05:16 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Yes, I found the original canvas hats too heavy and to hot on hot days also. The lightweight model I have now suits me a lot better for that reason. I have a couple of their winter hats which work well and from the same thrift store sources as well as some of their clothing line. Yes, the prices new are not to my liking either. They must have done all right over the years as they also supplied hats to the Canadian military and maybe even still do.

Bob

0 1,694
 03-25-2015, 05:48 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I have two Tilley hats that I wear regularly at the dog park and while paddle boarding. Both are t4 models but one is the air-flow version and the other is the heavier cotton version. They are great and I am sure you will be happy with your purchase.

46 18,076
 03-25-2015, 05:55 PM
User Info
What is the best way to measure yourself for a hat? Just use the same measuring tape a tailor would use? 

147 3,461
 03-25-2015, 06:37 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Yes Freddie...that is the best way. The Tilley website gives instructions on how to measure for hat size.

46 18,076
 03-25-2015, 06:44 PM
User Info
I have to look into it. Need  good hat for fishing etc. Thanks Phil! 

147 3,461
 03-25-2015, 07:42 PM
User Info
(03-25-2015, 05:48 PM)bullgoose Wrote: I have two Tilley hats that I wear regularly at the dog park and while paddle boarding. Both are t4 models but one is the air-flow version and the other is the heavier cotton version. They are great and I am sure you will be happy with your purchase.

I have the same hat Phil, mine is the one with the air flow, great hat especially living in the southern delta region. Summers here are brutal and my Tilley T4 accompanies me everywhere from the fishing hole to rooftop parties in downtown Memphis. 

8 264