06-08-2012, 11:51 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
I am currently using a 1965 Gillette Slim which I dearly love. It is currently set on 4. Assuming that I would ever want a more aggressive shave than the Slim set on 9, what razors would I consider?

0 396
 06-08-2012, 11:56 PM
  • Elbe
  • Wolfsburg, Germany
User Info
That's simple. Mühle R41.

0 229
 06-09-2012, 12:02 AM
User Info
Uncle Dave -

Even set on 9, the Slim isn't particularly aggressive. However, the shave from the Slim is great. Smile

The question you'll have to ask yourself is: do I want to stay with adjustables or try a non-adjustable?

If your answer is that you want to stick with adjustables, then you're pretty much going to have to get a modern adjustable.

1) The Merkur Progress will give you a more aggressive shave (at the higher settings) than the Slim, and it's still a nice size and a smooth shaver.

2) The Merkur Futur will get as aggressive as you want, but it comes with the caveat that the head gets pretty large. This is probably the best adjustable out there at the moment.

3) The Vision can be an amazing shaver. The adjustability can be manually set to extend over any desired range. What I mean is that it comes with a factory-set range of adjustability, but you can change that with a simple tweak, so if it starts off being too aggressive (even at low settings) then you can change that range so that the low settings are milder (and vice versa).
However, the Vision has several issues with complexity, needed cleaning and massive head size. It's not for everyone (I like it).

-----

For non-adjustables, I'd start with the NYSC Mariner - a smooth, rather aggressive, shaver. The 2011 Muhle R41 is a really aggressive shaver that some people like, but a lot of people find it to be an uncomfortable razor to use. The only way to find if it works for you is to try it.

As far as vintage razors go, you may want to try a New Improved Gillette, a Barbasol floating head, or a Gillette NEW OC.

Of course, there are SE razors too. Biggrin

37 1,731
 06-09-2012, 12:05 AM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-08-2012, 11:56 PM)Elbe Wrote: That's simple. Mühle R41.

Thanks man! I've been spending some time researching this razor after your post.

(06-09-2012, 12:02 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: Uncle Dave -

Even set on 9, the Slim isn't particularly aggressive. However, the shave from the Slim is great. Smile

The question you'll have to ask yourself is: do I want to stay with adjustables or try a non-adjustable?

If your answer is that you want to stick with adjustables, then you're pretty much going to have to get a modern adjustable.

1) The Merkur Progress will give you a more aggressive shave (at the higher settings) than the Slim, and it's still a nice size and a smooth shaver.

2) The Merkur Futur will get as aggressive as you want, but it comes with the caveat that the head gets pretty large. This is probably the best adjustable out there at the moment.

3) The Vision can be an amazing shaver. The adjustability can be manually set to extend over any desired range. What I mean is that it comes with a factory-set range of adjustability, but you can change that with a simple tweak, so if it starts off being too aggressive (even at low settings) then you can change that range so that the low settings are milder (and vice versa).
However, the Vision has several issues with complexity, needed cleaning and massive head size. It's not for everyone (I like it).

-----

For non-adjustables, I'd start with the NYSC Mariner - a smooth, rather aggressive, shaver. The 2011 Muhle R41 is a really aggressive shaver that some people like, but a lot of people find it to be an uncomfortable razor to use. The only way to find if it works for you is to try it.

As far as vintage razors go, you may want to try a New Improved Gillette, a Barbasol floating head, or a Gillette NEW OC.

Of course, there are SE razors too. Biggrin

Thanks for this info! I've been looking at the Merkur adjustables but, and this is strictly personal, I don't like the modern look. In fact I detest it. The Progress would be more to my liking.

I'm afraid of "too aggressive" right now because my hands are not as steady as they once were and I'm afraid of doing some serious damage if I get a razor that could really inflict a wound! That's what keeps me from trying an SE right now, and especially a straight razor. I doubt I'll ever have the nerve for one of those but I REALLY admire those who can use them.

I'll probably go with a more modern non-adjustable. I think I may be in the early stages of RAD. I keep trying to find that "perfect" shave. I haven't been at this long enough to have many personal opinions and thus the question of this thread.

Thanks for your help! I'll research those razors you mentioned.

0 396
 06-09-2012, 12:59 PM
User Info
If you can find this razor it is much more aggressive at the high end. However it is a difficult find.

Read more...

http://shavenook.com/thread-the-rise-of-...ssian-bear

1 2,827
 06-09-2012, 01:44 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-09-2012, 12:59 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: If you can find this razor it is much more aggressive at the high end. However it is a difficult find.

Read more...

http://shavenook.com/thread-the-rise-of-...ssian-bear

Thanks for that article. I will keep an eye out for one of these. Heh heh heh. I can just see Nikita Khrushchev pounding one of these things together with his shoe. Wink

0 396
 06-09-2012, 01:57 PM
User Info
Dave, I know you didn't say this, I'm just running with your post.

There is nothing that says you MUST go to an aggressive razor either. A Slim set to 4 may be all you ever want or need. It's entirely up to you.

It doesn't necessarily follow that "today I'm at setting 4 and in a few months I need to be at setting 9 or have an R41.". Maybe that will be the case, but not necessarily. Lot's of folks dislike or don't require aggressive razors. YMMV is definitely in play here.

One way to get a better shave is to use a sharper blade and not to go to a more aggressive razor. I used to gauge the blades sharpness (for evaluation) by using it in a Tech razor. If I got a decent shave with it in there it was a pretty sharp blade. You can do the same. I don't remember what blades you're using.

Taking this to the extreme, for me the ultimate is a smooth, sharp blade in an aggressive razor. I just can't get a better shave than that. (see todays SOTD)

32 6,309
 06-09-2012, 02:04 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-09-2012, 01:57 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Dave, I know you didn't say this, I'm just running with your post.

There is nothing that says you MUST go to an aggressive razor either. A Slim set to 4 may be all you ever want or need. It's entirely up to you.

It doesn't necessarily follow that "today I'm at setting 4 and in a few months I need to be at setting 9 or have an R41.". Maybe that will be the case, but not necessarily. Lot's of folks dislike or don't require aggressive razors. YMMV is definitely in play here.

One way to get a better shave is to use a sharper blade and not to go to a more aggressive razor. I used to gauge the blades sharpness (for evaluation) by using it in a Tech razor. If I got a decent shave with it in there it was a pretty sharp blade. You can do the same. I don't remember what blades you're using.

Taking this to the extreme, for me the ultimate is a smooth, sharp blade in an aggressive razor. I just can't get a better shave than that. (see todays SOTD)

Thanks Brian. I understand what you are saying. I may very well be that I'll stick with the Slim. Right now a setting of 4 requires I be very careful about not pressing down. I will keep experimenting.

As far as blades, I'm experimenting from a sample pack. So far my favourite has been Lord. They start out smooth and I get about 3 good shaves from them. I'm looking to try the SuperMax Super Platinum. I hear they are very good.

Before I would go to an open comb razor or a seriously aggressive adjustable I would have to be sure I had my technique down. That's going to be a while.

0 396
 06-09-2012, 02:39 PM
User Info
Yeah, I agree with Brian - the aim is to get a good shave. Some people are perfectly happy with a Tech for the whole of their lives. I can get a brilliant shave with the Feather Popular, and I really like using it.

It's not a graduation exercise - mild to aggressive razors. You may not enjoy the change at all. Smile

I know you're aware of this, but I wanted to make sure you didn't do something you'd regret.

37 1,731
 06-09-2012, 03:47 PM
User Info
Uncle Dave,
If you want a bit of an aggressive razor without spending too much money, you should really consider a Gillette Old Type open-comb. They are easily procured for $10-20. Fantastic and very under-rated shavers. Good luck.

75 20,883
 06-09-2012, 04:32 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-09-2012, 03:47 PM)celestino Wrote: Uncle Dave,
If you want a bit of an aggressive razor without spending too much money, you should really consider a Gillette Old Type open-comb. They are easily procured for $10-20. Fantastic and very under-rated shavers. Good luck.

Thanks! I'll keep watch for that on eBay. At that price I can't go wrong.

0 396
 06-10-2012, 05:07 PM
  • Stroker
  • Jacksonville, Oregon
User Info
(06-09-2012, 02:39 PM)yohannrjm Wrote: Yeah, I agree with Brian - the aim is to get a good shave. Some people are perfectly happy with a Tech for the whole of their lives. I can get a brilliant shave with the Feather Popular, and I really like using it.

It's not a graduation exercise - mild to aggressive razors. You may not enjoy the change at all. Smile

I know you're aware of this, but I wanted to make sure you didn't do something you'd regret.

Yohann and Brian are right on. Many getting into wet shaving feel they must progress by getting more and more aggressive razors as they gain more experience. That is just the "bigger is better or more aggressive is better mentality" and that is not the object of gaining experience. I have razors from very mild to very aggressive in my collection and I use and enjoy them all in my rotation. The thing is to know your equipment and learn what are the characterists of each particular razor and use it effectively for a certain "feel" in your shave. Some days I want aggressive, some I want mild...depends on my mood but, I get full performance out of my razor no matter what it's characteristics are by blade selection, lather/soap, preshave cream/oil, technique etc.
A pit-bull is a pit-bull; a beagel is a beagel; enjoy them for what they are; it's not the destination, it's the journey. Enjoy each for it's particular character.

6 448
 06-10-2012, 05:20 PM
User Info
I was a bit different when I started. Everyone recommended mild razors for a newbie but I couldn't get a good shave with them. 5 & 6 passes would leave me with stubble & irritation. It wasn't until I found more aggressive razors that I started getting the shaves I was seeking.

My point is that we all need different levels of efficiency and we need to find that Goldilocks setup for ourselves & stop judging it as better or worse than what others use. We can just listen to what others are experiencing, diagnose the issue, & develop strategies to help improve the concern. More doesn't always = better; in many cases less = more!

31 7,914
 06-10-2012, 05:25 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-10-2012, 05:07 PM)Stroker Wrote:
(06-09-2012, 02:39 PM)yohannrjm Wrote: Yeah, I agree with Brian - the aim is to get a good shave. Some people are perfectly happy with a Tech for the whole of their lives. I can get a brilliant shave with the Feather Popular, and I really like using it.

Yohann and Brian are right on. Many getting into wet shaving feel they must progress by getting more and more aggressive razors as they gain more experience. That is just the "bigger is better or more aggressive is better mentality" and that is not the object of gaining experience. I have razors from very mild to very aggressive in my collection and I use and enjoy them all in my rotation. The thing is to know your equipment and learn what are the characterists of each particular razor and use it effectively for a certain "feel" in your shave. Some days I want aggressive, some I want mild...depends on my mood but, I get full performance out of my razor no matter what it's characteristics are by blade selection, lather/soap, preshave cream/oil, technique etc.
A pit-bull is a pit-bull; a beagel is a beagel; enjoy them for what they are; it's not the destination, it's the journey. Enjoy each for it's particular character.

Great advice! Thanks! I'm trying to learn the basics of aggressiveness vs efficiency vs comfort. It's going to take a while. To me it seems strange that a "mild" razor can give a BBS shave because of "efficiency". I would expect only an aggressive one to be capable of consistent BBS. Like I say, I have a lot to learn (and am enjoying the process!)

Thanks again!

0 396