03-26-2015, 07:39 AM
User Info
Hi everyone - 

A few items that I have acquired recently that I am unfortunately not using.  As always prices include free CONUS shipping, shipped via USPS Priority Mail with tracking.  If you are an international buyer, please contact me about shipping; I usually agree to ship at my cost but the terms need to be negotiated (and most likely I will not be able to ship the straight internationally).

(1) J.A. Henckels Friodur 5/8 stainless steel straight razor with faux ivory scales with Premier Strop Co. strop and Saponificio Varesino Aromatic Fern shaving soap.  Either half or full hollow.  I believe everything is original and still has the beautiful blue wash on the blade completely in tact.  If I'm not mistaken, these are no longer made, and while I cannot say for certain when this razor was produced, its is in excellent condition, with only some light honing wear present.  It is, in my experience, shave ready.  It comes with the original red coffin.

Also included is a black latigo strop made by the Premier Strop Co.  The strop is 3 inches by 17 inches with handles and has a separate webbing material component with handles.  Other than some minor wear, there aren't any gouges or tears and it is not cupped.  These retail alone for more than $70.  This is a great beginner strop because of its wide width (i.e. no "X" pattern), a "next-level" strop, and of course a great everyday strop for experienced users.

Finally, I'll include a six-times-used jar of Saponificio Varesino Aromatic Fern shaving soap.   Since I received the soap in the trade for the razor and strop, I am including the soap as well.  The soap has garnered great reviews and has compared favorably to Martin de Candre and other vegetable-based soaps.

I received all three of these in a trade (here is the original trade post), so I don't have a specific dollar figure that I am out.  Comparing with sold Friodurs (either on eBay, here, and other fora) it is probably worth in its condition upward from $170 on.  The strop is worth probably around $60-$70 in its current condition and the soap is probably worth around $30.  I know that the package I traded for it had around $240 invested in it.  Due to my hesitation to accurately gauge the market for Friodurs I am selling on the low end, and am listing the razor, the strop, and the soap for $175.

(2) Punktal Solingen head twist slant razor.  I purchased this a short while ago from Zeppelinkarte and here is his original description: "Punktal was one of the better makers and had a whole range of razors from straights to dual head to slants. Punktal made the 101 which is the model for the Ikon Shavecraft 101. This slant has the unique Punktal handle and a heavier than normal head.  This is one of the best slants ever produced. The razor will out shave any vintage Hoffritz and most of the modern slants...."  I agree completely; the three-piece Punktal slant head is a great "daily driver" and perfectly balanced in aggressiveness.  This isn't aggressive like the current-model Merkur slant, nor does it have the large head of the non-Shavecraft iKon or other similar current-production slants.  This particular model is in excellent condition, with just a few signs of scuffing and use over time.

Also included is a Fasan bakelite double slant open-comb head with a Neo Ras handle.  As you can see the handle particularly is fairly beat up, but actually looks better in real life.  I bought both for $100 a few weeks ago and I've kept them both in the same condition as when I got them, so I was hoping to get back what I paid: $100.  SOLD!

(3) Simpson Classic 1 synthetic shaving brush with travel tube.  Also purchased recently, from TSN member Obie.  This is a great travel brush and a cheaper way to own a classic (no pun intended!) Simpson brush without paying a lot for it.  Or, its a great way to own a synthetic brush but with a classic (maybe pun intended!) Simpson's handle.  Or both!  It measures about 21mm by 43mm.  The handle is 40mm tall.  Its in great condition as you can see and comes with the travel tube and original box.  I bought it for $50 and was hoping to get back what I paid: $50.  SOLD!  Thanks TSN!

(4) Merkur 34C heavy duty safety razor.  A true workhorse and classic razor, the two-piece HD usually gets unfairly lumped into the "beginner razor" bin although I believe it could be the only razor one would ever need.  In fact up until I was lucky enough to get a couple of hard-to-find razors recently, this was on the only razor I had for several years.  It does not come with box but I've kept it in great condition.  I believe I paid $30 for it a few years ago, so I think a fair price would be $25.

As always, feel free to comment on my prices and descriptions in this thread.  If you have any other questions (and of course want to buy them!) send me a PM.  

Thanks for looking,
Josh

84 1,505
 03-26-2015, 10:19 AM
User Info
I don't normally reply to my own post, but I just wanted to highlight that in speaking with another informed member here, I had priced the straight/strop/soap combo too high and so I've dropped it down to $175.  If am violating the "no bump" policy then my apologies and please delete this post.  

84 1,505
 03-31-2015, 10:12 AM
User Info
Quick update: Punktal sold!  The straight combo and the 34C is still available.

84 1,505
 04-07-2015, 05:42 AM
User Info
Quick update: the straight/strop/soap combination is withdrawn.  The Merkur 34C is still available.

84 1,505
 04-13-2015, 06:36 AM
User Info
All items SOLD!  Thanks everyone and thanks TSN.  Moderators please archive.

84 1,505