03-26-2015, 08:16 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I have been wanting to try a SOC for a while now. Ever since I started wet shaving three and some years ago. I wanted a SOC boar, but Semogue boar experiences with 1305 (too floppy and not dense enough), 1470 (actually a great brush, but took too long to break in and ate lather instead of giving it to me, but once broken in was a fantastic brush) and 1800 (actually an amazingly good brush) were mixed bag for me, so I abstained from SOC boar. I love the SOC handle and have a SOC 2012 SE (a mixed hair in resin handle), which is one of my very favorite brushes. Still I never tried a wooden handled SOC. I especially didn't think a two band brush could impress me because I make my own two band brushes that are pretty amazing. However, the other day I came across a SOC two band on BST (on another forum) at a price that I could not pass up. So I bought it and tried it yesterday. WOW! Why is this brush not more popular?! It is really amazing. It is not super dense, has a higher loft/knot (52/24) ratio than I would expect to be adequate for my tastes, but the feel and performance of this brush are amazing! It is on a soft side for sure, but not floppy. The less dense knot affords excellent flow of lather, there is no scritch whatsoever (I read a lot about the scritch in these, but my copy has none), the handle is, well, a SOC handle, which is an inspiration to me as a brush maker. All in all this is a fantastic two band brush which is all business and none of the fanfare of density and other attributes that fetch ridiculous prices. I mean is there a two band Simpson out there for anywhere near the price of a SOC two band? I doubt it. This brush sells for well under $70 shipped! As a brush maker that tries to bring great value myself I have to tip my hat to Semogue for creating such value in a badger shaving brush. I am only wondering why this brush is not more popular. Any ideas?

Here is my SOTD from yesterday:

[Image: FpkUGK1.jpg]

26 1,737
 03-26-2015, 09:05 AM
User Info
Those are very nice brushes and I do agree with you, Vladimir. Unfortuntely, for me, I just find the hair a bit 'rough' compared to my 2-Band brushes that I have. I guess I must be getting spoiled in my older years! It really is a bit of a shame as it is a great Portuguese brush and me being Portuguese and I don't even use it!  Biggrin

82 21,056
 03-26-2015, 09:07 AM
User Info
I heard there was a batch changeover last year around the time of the BC Texugo which was extremely soft compared to older batches of the 2-band hair.  I actually finally jumped on the opportunity to try it out and ordered one from vintage scent last week.  Hopefully my experiences mimic yours, as I have some baby skin!

16 249
 03-26-2015, 09:42 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Celestino, let me assure you, there is absolutely ZERO scritch to this two band brush. I also read a lot about the scritchy two band hair in these and frankly, I am not against a small amount of scritch, so it wasn't an issue for me. I just could not see myself spending around $80 on a two band badger brush when I make these all day long. However, as I mentioned I got a deal on this brush that I could not resist and so I tried it. I have no idea of there was a switch to a different badger hair as mentioned and I also have no idea of when this brush was made as I bought it used on BST. One thing for sure is that I can tell you it feels soft as a feather. Just an amazing skin feel. I am now going to try and hunt down a BC Texugo, which I also haven't done (I have the other two BC LE brushes and they are absolutely superb). I have always liked Semogue for their build and material quality. It's just their boars are not all to my liking. I do love the BC Cerda a lot and I also enjoyed 1800 a lot, but others didn't impress me compared to Omega boars, but this badger brush puts a whole new perspective on Semogue for me. Just outstanding brush and the value it represents is through the roof. Kudos, Semogue!

26 1,737
 03-26-2015, 10:00 AM
User Info
I had one of these and would consider it one of my first luxury badger brushes. It was always a pleasurable experience using it and as you said, soft but with excellent flow though including some backbone. I did indeed sell mine but do plan on getting another. Any suggestions on where to get a newer batch brush?

79 1,298
 03-26-2015, 10:43 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
The SOC 2-band was one of my first premium badger brush purchases.  Back then I felt the hair was a bit scratchy and ended up selling it.  I have heard some mixed reports on the modern offerings and am considering giving one another shot.  With the decline of the Euro these can be had for around $60 from ebay and a few European vendors making it even more tempting.

139 2,680
 03-26-2015, 01:49 PM
User Info
The wood on yours seems particularly nice Vladimir.

48 5,737
 03-26-2015, 02:27 PM
User Info
I'm the original owner of this brush. I bought it last year from Vintage Scent. The brush is as Vladimir describes -- very soft and able to lather like a dream. I sold it for the same reason I PIFed a Rooney 1/2 to my Dad. It was too soft for me. I'm in the minority of shavers and actually prefer my brushes with a touch of scritch. Other than that it's pretty much a perfect brush in price, ergonomics, performance, and aesthetics. Glad you're liking it so much, Vladimir. Great photo.  Smile

16 272
 03-26-2015, 02:31 PM
User Info
As far as I know, the very first SOC 2-bands ever produced were excellent. I have one of those, and couldn't be more happy with it.
The tips are very soft on those, and got even softer with use.

A couple of years after, Semogue was probably using a different batch of hair, as several people started complaining that the brushes were more scratchy and the such.

More recently, when I received my Barbear Clássico Texugo LE, I was astonished by the quality of hair used in it. That hair was (and still is) even better than the hair used in the first SOC 2-band produced. If that batch of hair is currently being used to produce the SOC 2-band, those must be fantastic indeed.

2 5,545
 03-26-2015, 02:37 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Stuart, thanks for the explanation and history of the brush. I am also in the camp of enjoying a bit brush feel and even some scritch. Most of my brushes are either all boar or boar/badger mix from Semogue, which for me represents my favorite feel of the shaving brush. All-badger brushes are great, but for me the preference is Semogue mixed right now. I do have another all-badger brush and it's of my own making (TGN two band knot) and it was my favorite badger brush until I got this SOC. Now I think I have two favorite badger brushes. They both have different feel to them, so they don't really compete with one another. My TGN 2 band has slightly more backbone because I set its loft lower and the tips are just about as soft as the SOC, but SOC feels softer. In fact, I think I see some of the tips on the SOC curling, which is the tell-tale sign of the "gel" tips. In any case, this particular SOC 2 band is very enjoyable and the grain on the handle is particularly beautiful. Thanks again for offering it at such an attractive price. I may not have been tempted otherwise Smile

26 1,737
 03-26-2015, 02:37 PM
User Info
my SOC 2 band has scritch. A fine scritch, will give it another try. What I do not like is the glue knot sitting pretty high up the knot
Concerning no scritch, being really soft-
Maybe different batches?

21 1,175
 03-26-2015, 06:11 PM
User Info
The cherry handle on your brush sure is beautiful and has aged spectacularly!  The knot looks vary nice as well.  Enjoy!

73 2,200
 03-26-2015, 06:57 PM
User Info
I can't justify another brush right now but I was tempted upon hearing that this is a badger that has actual backbone. This came from a member of a different forum who practically only uses boar.

18 713
 03-26-2015, 06:57 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(03-26-2015, 06:11 PM)merkur man Wrote: The cherry handle on your brush sure is beautiful and has aged spectacularly!  The knot looks vary nice as well.  Enjoy!

Thank you, Nathan.

26 1,737
 03-27-2015, 02:17 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Yes, I always thought the SOC 2 band was an underrated brush. Mine is at least several years old, who knows what batch it was from, but has soft tips, enough backbone and no scritch. The dimensions of the knot are the same as the OP's. I also find the handle very comfortable in use. I just don't know why it is overlooked by anyone looking for that type of badger knot, especially at that price point.

Bob

0 1,694
 03-27-2015, 05:14 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I think the fact that US dollar is gaining on the Euro has a lot to do with the price, too. I remember a few years ago when I considered it the US price was closer to $90. Now it's closer to $60. At $60 a two band brush like that is very hard to beat. At $90 it's still a strong contender. Anyone wanting to try a two band brush needs to consider this one.

26 1,737
 03-27-2015, 06:07 AM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
(03-26-2015, 02:31 PM)oversaturn Wrote: As far as I know, the very first SOC 2-bands ever produced were excellent. I have one of those, and couldn't be more happy with it.
The tips are very soft on those, and got even softer with use.

A couple of years after, Semogue was probably using a different batch of hair, as several people started complaining that the brushes were more scratchy and the such.

More recently, when I received my Barbear Clássico Texugo LE, I was astonished by the quality of hair used in it. That hair was (and still is) even better than the hair used in the first SOC 2-band produced. If that batch of hair is currently being used to produce the SOC 2-band, those must be fantastic indeed.

I love my SOC 2Band and a favorite of mine. I actually just received a message from Bruno in regards to the SOC 2-Bands regarding the same question. The regular production SOC 2band knot isn't the same as the BC Texugo LE unfortunately. He explained that the LE's were made in smaller batches/quantities and he chose the best hair possible for that LE. 

10 963
 03-27-2015, 03:31 PM
User Info
Great price, great brush!

From my Tab through the Tap

1 1,975
 03-27-2015, 09:14 PM
  • Thug
  • South Africa
User Info
I know of one locally available. Might just take the plunge to get a match for my SOC Boar.

0 403
 03-28-2015, 05:26 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(03-27-2015, 03:31 PM)C-NoEviL Wrote: Great price, great brush!

From my Tab through the Tap

This is one of those "sane" products in the world of often insane pricing Smile

26 1,737