03-26-2015, 10:07 AM
User Info
I received a brand new jar of MdC in the original scent from a trade.  I always wondered how it could be such a wonderful soap that everyone raves about.  I mean it only has a few ingredients right?  Well, I've used it for the last two days and I have to say that it is wonderful.  The lather is to die for.  It's so easy to get thick, creamy lather out of it.  That lather is so slick and protective as well.  My face felt wonderful after shaving and rinsing in some cold water.  For me, MdC is definitely a keeper.  I like the scent too.  It truly is a top tier soap that I'm happy to have in my rotation.

[Image: DZsHlSV.jpg]

21 555
 03-26-2015, 10:10 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
It just proves that you can teach an old dog new tricks. Smile

MdC is one of my favorites as well.  Will always have at least one jar in stock.

178 23,809
 03-26-2015, 10:19 AM
User Info
I have some in the Regular and Fougere scent. I think the soap overrated. It is quite drying and has average slickness though pretty good cushion. The one area where it beats many other soaps is lather stability. Pre de Provence is among the few that matches it in that area. Otherwise it is pretty much like any other similarly formulated veggie soap-- in other words not as good as a really good tallow soap such as Mitchell's Wool Fat. Catie's Bubbles and LA Shaving Soap are every bit as good and made in the USA and cheaper. I don't doubt there is a bit of cognitive dissonance at play when people proclaim it to be the best soap ever. Paying more, makes them ascribe a higher value to it despite the reality being different. Of course YMMV...

It's still a good soap just not all it is cracked up to be IMO.

18 713
 03-26-2015, 10:32 AM
  • eggs
  • Norway
User Info
MdC is my favorite too. 

0 18
 03-26-2015, 11:14 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(03-26-2015, 10:19 AM)fram773 Wrote: I have some in the Regular and Fougere scent. I think the soap overrated. It is quite drying and has average slickness though pretty good cushion. The one area where it beats many other soaps is lather stability. Pre de Provence is among the few that matches it in that area. Otherwise it is pretty much like any other similarly formulated veggie soap-- in other words not as good as a really good tallow soap such as Mitchell's Wool Fat. Catie's Bubbles and LA Shaving Soap are every bit as good and made in the USA and cheaper. I don't doubt there is a bit of cognitive dissonance at play when people proclaim it to be the best soap ever. Paying more, makes them ascribe a higher value to it despite the reality being different. Of course YMMV...

YMMV is the key phrase here.  What's good for the goose is not always good for the gander.  But I totally agree with you about MWF, I've found nothing better than "The Fat".  YMMV Smile

178 23,809
 03-26-2015, 11:17 AM
User Info
To me it feels much better than PdP.  For some reason, PdP makes my face burn.  Not sure why either.  I keep putting it back in the cabinet to try again.  Every time I do, it burns me.  I had a similar experience with Cella.  No burning at all with MdC and I think the post shave feel with it is wonderful.  It truly is a YMMV thing... blades and soaps  Smile

21 555
 03-26-2015, 12:03 PM
User Info
I love the Fougère, but the post shave is not a good as some other products. So, I slather a bit of unscented balm on and that's that. I want the brain bowl.  Hambre

39 3,919
 03-26-2015, 12:23 PM
User Info
I used to really love MdC but found I got far better performance and skin care from other soaps. However, It does make beautiful lather with no effort. My face much prefers tallow based soaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

74 2,273
 03-26-2015, 07:16 PM
User Info
Why do we have all these wonderful aftershaves if we are so concerned about the post-shave feel from a soap? 

31 8,057
 03-27-2015, 02:02 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Yes, it really is a YMMV thing. I have tried a few of the more expensive soaps/creams, MdC is one of them, and wound up underwhelmed. I was expecting so much more from them than I perceived that I got. No doubt MdC is a good product but for me for the money paid I'd just as soon use a Palmolive shave stick. For me I get just as good and satisfying a shave with the Palmolive shave stick. 

Bob

0 1,694
 03-27-2015, 02:06 AM
User Info
I'm in the corner that thinks MdC is a fantastic soap. It's my favorite and can't see it being dethroned.

11 230
 03-27-2015, 02:42 AM
User Info
(03-26-2015, 07:16 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Why do we have all these wonderful aftershaves if we are so concerned about the post-shave feel from a soap? 

You know this is the most interesting part of the whole thing to me Brian. Post-shave skin feel is for me, the only measurement that actually means anything in terms of quality of shave. Even when no other variable changes except the soap (same razor, same blade, same technique, same brush, same aftershave etc.) I am left with different experiences regarding post-shave skin feel. I can only conclude that less than perfect results come from the only true variable in the equation. Over time we detect patterns and our experiences shape our views and we call it YMMV. These experiences have lead me to pass along my MdC supply to others who love it, because I no longer do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

74 2,273
 03-27-2015, 02:48 AM
  • RobinK
  • I like things that work.
  • Munich, Germany
User Info
(03-26-2015, 11:14 AM)Johnny Wrote:
(03-26-2015, 10:19 AM)fram773 Wrote: Of course YMMV...

YMMV is the key phrase here.  What's good for the goose is not always good for the gander.  But I totally agree with you about MWF, I've found nothing better than "The Fat".  YMMV Smile

YMMV indeed. I find MdC vastly overrated. Which does not mean it is a bad soap. Quite the contrary. It is a very nice soap with a very decent scent. But for me (cf YMMV), it falls miserably short in the price-performance ratio vis-a-vis products like Savonnerie du Bon Berger or Meißner Tremonia. So, yes, a lot of hype. And call my paranoid, but I am absolutely certain people were less enthusiastic if MdC were a) cheaper, and b) less readily available. 

If you want something better than MWF, get Scottish Fine Soaps. That was easy...

0 197
 03-27-2015, 02:58 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(03-27-2015, 02:48 AM)RobinK Wrote:
(03-26-2015, 11:14 AM)Johnny Wrote:
(03-26-2015, 10:19 AM)fram773 Wrote: Of course YMMV...

YMMV indeed. I find MdC vastly overrated. Which does not mean it is a bad soap. Quite the contrary. It is a very nice soap with a very decent scent. But for me (cf YMMV), it falls miserably short in the price-performance ratio vis-a-vis products like Savonnerie du Bon Berger or Meißner Tremonia. So, yes, a lot of hype. And call my paranoid, but I am absolutely certain people were less enthusiastic if MdC were a) cheaper, and b) less readily available. 

If you want something better than MWF, get Scottish Fine Soaps. That was easy...

That is another one of those YMMV things.  I cannot use Scottish Fine Soaps nor any other of the UK made soaps.  There is something in them that burns and irritates my skin.  The only UK soap that I can use if MWF.  I have the same problem with some Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish soaps, along with a whole host of American Artisan soaps.

178 23,809
 03-27-2015, 03:07 AM
User Info
Meißner Tremonia as well as quite a few others others are almost in the same price category, jar size and reputation considered. 

When it comes to track record I would think MDC is worth it

Anybody could have this and then mess around with  bang for the buck soaps, like Razorock,  Savon du midi, Savonnerie La Cigale (Savon barbe, melt and pour type, 100% bio, 3-6 Euro), Speick, Proraso,Haslinger, MWF.
I am hesitant with Vegan soaps for longterm use, as with creams and ailments a animal fat base has been a good thing.
Guess what, I do not even have MDC in my den...

21 1,175
 03-27-2015, 03:29 AM
User Info
(03-26-2015, 10:07 AM)BriDroid Wrote: I received a brand new jar of MdC in the original scent from a trade.  I always wondered how it could be such a wonderful soap that everyone raves about.  I mean it only has a few ingredients right?  Well, I've used it for the last two days and I have to say that it is wonderful.  The lather is to die for.  It's so easy to get thick, creamy lather out of it.  That lather is so slick and protective as well.  My face felt wonderful after shaving and rinsing in some cold water.  For me, MdC is definitely a keeper.  I like the scent too.  It truly is a top tier soap that I'm happy to have in my rotation.

[Image: DZsHlSV.jpg]
Love that barbicide jar.

0 858
 03-27-2015, 04:16 AM
  • RobinK
  • Munich, Germany
User Info
(03-27-2015, 03:07 AM)Bibbelmann Wrote: Meißner Tremonia as well as quite a few others others are almost in the same price category[...]. 

It typically helps to get one's facts straight before making bold statements. Case in point:

MdC in glass jar: 50.00€/100g
Meißner Tremonia in glass jar: 26.21 €/100g

Is MdC twice as good as Meißner Tremonia? Not at all. Actually, quite the contrary. Slightly harder to lather (negligible), less slick lather (might be of interest to some), tangibly worse skin care (the kicker). YMMV and all that, but I have one of these wooden MdC bowls sitting in my bathroom, and it as been gathering dust for months. 

0 197
 03-27-2015, 04:33 AM
User Info
(03-26-2015, 07:16 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Why do we have all these wonderful aftershaves if we are so concerned about the post-shave feel from a soap? 

It aids the post shave feel.  Using an AS or Balm on a dry face won't feel as good or last as long as on a well moisturized face.

Everyone's face is different too.  I use it and find it drying, others praise it for it's post shave feel.  But in general, if a soap is drying or lacking in moisturizers, I don't care for it as much.

I'm one who always lathers up my face after the entire shave is over.  After my last pass, I splash with sink water like after a pass, lather up, drain the sink, wash the razor, deodorant, hair, rinse brush.  I then proceed with my post shave routine of warm rinse, cold rinse, AS.  If it's a soap with some moisturizers in it, my face always feels amazing before I even get to the AS and if I forget, it doesn't really matter.

8 2,718
 03-27-2015, 04:45 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(03-27-2015, 04:16 AM)RobinK Wrote:
(03-27-2015, 03:07 AM)Bibbelmann Wrote: Meißner Tremonia as well as quite a few others others are almost in the same price category[...]. 

It typically helps to get one's facts straight before making bold statements. Case in point:

MdC in glass jar: 50.00€/100g
Meißner Tremonia in glass jar: 26.21 €/100g

Is MdC twice as good as Meißner Tremonia? Not at all. Actually, quite the contrary. Slightly harder to lather (negligible), less slick lather (might be of interest to some), tangibly worse skin care (the kicker). YMMV and all that, but I have one of these wooden MdC bowls sitting in my bathroom, and it as been gathering dust for months. 

The MdC you reference is actually a 50g jar and it sells for 23.50 Euro.

178 23,809
 03-27-2015, 05:01 AM
  • RobinK
  • Munich, Germany
User Info
(03-27-2015, 04:45 AM)Johnny Wrote: The MdC you reference is actually a 50g jar and it sells for 23.50 Euro.

Right. So, €47/100g. Still nearly twice as expensive. And no refills I can find on that site.

0 197