03-27-2015, 02:11 PM
  • josephd
  • San Dimas, CA
User Info
Hi everyone,
I'm new to wet shaving and only shaved my head twice. So I'm looking for advice.

Should I always use a new blade then discard it? Or is a blade that's shaved my face a few times good enough?

0 40
 03-27-2015, 09:20 PM
  • Thug
  • South Africa
User Info
I use the same blade for a couple of shaves each and then turf it but it all depends how sharp the blade stays. You might get less or more mileage.

0 403
 03-27-2015, 09:26 PM
User Info
I have found my head is likely to get more razor burn and nick if I choose to wait more than 5 days between head shaving.

I have had okay results with lathering and using creams or soaps on my head. I have had much more luck using aloe vera based gels.

I tend to use new blades when I shave my head but if I want to shave my face first with a new blade then I can use that one my head as well.

79 1,296
 03-27-2015, 09:56 PM
User Info
All depends what you're using for blades.

Don't do as I did the very first time and confuse the razor loading with cutoffs for the blade dulling. After that first head shave I used the same razor and blade for face shaving and head shaving and counted the head shave as one shave.

I was using a SE razor.

32 6,445
 03-28-2015, 03:40 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
I use depending on my mood a straight razor or a safety razor or a single edge razor or a Feather DX. Get about 5 shaves out of a DE blade and more then 15 for both the SE and the Feather blades.

28 1,433
 03-28-2015, 09:53 AM
User Info
I get a week of shaves from most DE blades and three weeks out of SE blades. YMMV off course  Biggrin

3 4,373
 03-28-2015, 09:01 PM
  • josephd
  • San Dimas, CA
User Info
Thanks for the advice everyone. So far I'm finding that I get three good shaves with my current blade. I count my head as a separate shave; at 10 cents a blade why risk a dull blade.

I just got a Muhle R41 and it shaved my head almost flawlessly in two passes. (Although I did nic myself in the back)

The R41 has great feedback and far better balanced than the cheap Weishi it's replacing.

I agree with zac, 3 to 4 days of growth is ideal. Anything beyond 5 just means more work.

I'm going to need an after shave balm. Especially as I hone my skills. I'm doing the whole shave by feel

0 40