03-27-2015, 06:00 PM
  • Chris24
  • New Zealand
User Info
Bluff Oyster season has not long started here in NZ so I picked up my first dozen as a treat.
At $27 NZD for a dozen they are not cheap but these are so nice I just had to have some.
Bluff Oysters are wild and dredge harvested, they IMO taste the best. Pacific oysters just don't taste the same.

Do you guys like oysters and how do you have them?

I enjoy my oyster natural or with a small amount off balsamic vinegar.

[Image: P85DpnW.jpg]

0 276
 03-28-2015, 04:13 AM
User Info
Years ago I used to eat oysters and clams raw on the half shell but not any longer. I love them fried or in oyster soup/stew. 

117 12,961
 03-28-2015, 04:23 AM
User Info
Oysters...  do we, here in central Europe?.. Dodgy

Hm.. will look out for some....!Enjoy!

21 1,175
 03-28-2015, 04:58 AM
User Info
New York City has always been an oyster town. We're fortunate enough to have an oyster bar right in our neighborhood, just a few blocks away.
I don't put anything on them at all, just enjoy their natural flavor.
I learned that after going to a business lunch at the famous Oyster Bar in Grand Central Terminal with a European gentleman. 
I made to put cocktail sauce on mine, and with a pained expression he said, "Oh no, dear boy."

A different and old New York way to enjoy them is in oyster stew. I've had that in Albany.

A New Orleans fried oyster po'boy is also a very good thing.

8 880
 03-28-2015, 07:27 AM
User Info
 Raw with a squirt of lemon juice on them. Yum.

2 226
 03-28-2015, 07:52 AM
User Info
I have never had a "real" oyster, but I plan on changing that very soon, once the oyster farms begin seasonal operation again.

I intend to try them on the half shell, right there at the ocean, and I'll take home what I need for an oyster stew. The wife will be invited to join me, but I know she won't.

32 6,424
 03-28-2015, 07:52 AM
User Info
Mmm I love oysters. I can eat dozens at a time . I either spritz a little lemon on them or just plain. Raw only, I don't think I've ever eaten them cooked

11 230
 03-28-2015, 07:55 AM
User Info
Mmmm...raw with a splash of lemon and Tabasco!!!

3 218
 03-28-2015, 09:28 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
For some reason I am not crazy about oysters, though I don't dislike them, but I love clams.  When I was a boy in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, my friend and I would go to the oyster bar at Lundy's restaurant (no longer in existence but, at the time, the largest restaurant under one roof in the world) and have clams on the half shell. One would sit at the bar and watch the men shuck the clams right before you.  My friend and I always started off with half a dozen each but, nine times out of ten, we'd order another half dozen each. What a fond memory; I hadn't thought about that in years.

2 11,211
 03-28-2015, 05:05 PM
User Info
I love oysters on the half Shell...just put your favorite hot sauce on and eat till its time to go home.

0 1,007
 03-31-2015, 09:59 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I could eat them everyday, but I have a family to feed and so I rarely have them...usually only on my birthday. I enjoy all varieties but especially love the variety that grows near Samoa...no idea what the proper name is, but my Samoan friends call them 'crunchies'. They have the most delicious flavor and have a bit of a crunch to them, as the name suggests...they are also pretty large so a dozen is more than enough for a meal.

70 1,451
 04-01-2015, 08:52 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(03-28-2015, 07:27 AM)Charlie NEPA Wrote:  Raw with a squirt of lemon juice on them. Yum.

That's just the way I like them.  Our local golf club has a brunch every Sunday with a raw oyster bar.  You can eat as many as you like and I usually have three dozen as a starter followed  by eggs Benedict, crab legs and others seafood delicacies.  At $35 per person for the entire brunch I reckon the oysters are cheap.  When I lived in Houston in the 1990's I'd frequent Captain Benny's where the Gulf of Mexico oysters on the half shell were $5 a dozen.

5 871
 05-09-2015, 10:26 AM
User Info
FWIW, I bought exactly 2 oysters from the supermarket 2 or 3 weeks ago. Yeah, I know, a whole 2 oysters, but I'd never had them raw before. I asked and they come from water maybe 100 miles north of the peninsula Boothbay is on. So they're still sort of on the list of locavores. They were good. I ate them with nothing on them. I wanted to taste only the oyster. I have them that way again.

After the spring runoff has had time to clear out of the coastal water I'll get some fresh right from the farm on the way to Boothbay. I'll also get enough for an oyster stew at the same time. Now oyster stew, that I already know I love, no experimentation there.

32 6,424
 05-10-2015, 12:53 AM
  • Chris24
  • New Zealand
User Info
It was good you could sample just two oysters. Not everyone likes them natural.

0 276
 05-10-2015, 01:37 PM
User Info
I figured that, but if I had to mask their flavor why not just eat the masking flavor and pass on the oysters? I liked the sea saltiness of them and I definitely wanted to taste the oyster. I'd never want to mask that after trying it once. I look forward to getting a mess of them from our local oyster farm. I intend to eat them right there on the spot and fresh out of the water. I hope they have a picnic table available. I bet they do. We can get food "to go" for everyone else, who might not join me, from elsewhere first.

32 6,424
 01-10-2016, 11:19 AM
User Info
Growing up at the Outer Banks I love oysters prepared in just about any way they can be possible be served. Favorite being served steamed on the half shell with a splash of tabasco sauce.  Nonetheless, I have recently be searching for the perfect reciepe for chargrilled oysters?!

1 85
 01-18-2016, 08:20 PM
User Info
We've got big oysters in the Gulf Coast.  I like them raw with cocktail sauce and maybe a cracker.  My Charleston inlaws steam smaller ones in clusters like knate22.  
[Image: xeCjz4x.jpg]

11 192
 01-20-2016, 09:43 AM
User Info
(05-10-2015, 01:37 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I figured that, but if I had to mask their flavor why not just eat the masking flavor and pass on the oysters? I liked the sea saltiness of them and I definitely wanted to taste the oyster. I'd never want to mask that after trying it once. I look forward to getting a mess of them from our local oyster farm. I intend to eat them right there on the spot and fresh out of the water. I hope they have a picnic table available. I bet they do. We can get food "to go" for everyone else, who might not join me, from elsewhere first.

As I noted in my earlier entry, Brian, I'm with you. I love just taking them in from the half-shell with their own liquor that gives the taste of the sea.

My wife feels the same way, but when we had some at our local oyster bar on Monday, she spilled a little mignonette sauce on one of hers and quite liked it!

Recently we were in Hiroshima, which is a great, great oyster place.
They're big and plump there -- in much of the American market, I think they're harvested on purpose while they're small.
I had them grilled, which was terrific, and in oyster sushi.

8 880
 01-20-2016, 10:38 AM
User Info
Raw oysters. Sriracha. Lemon juice.

Start slurping!

24 688
 01-20-2016, 11:05 AM
User Info
Raw oysters. Horseradish. Lemon juice.

Eat them by the dozon!

4 465