01-20-2016, 11:23 AM
User Info
I enjoy them raw with a splash of lime and tabasco and a nice cold beer to wash it down.

80 947
 01-20-2016, 02:01 PM
User Info
I prefer mine raw on the shell. Touch of lemon juice and occasionally some Texas Pete. Wink

141 3,311
 01-20-2016, 07:44 PM
User Info
There's a place called Elliot's right on the waterfront here in Seattle with a good variety of west coast oysters, along with the standards. The thing that really sets them up beautifully is a shaved ice/champagne garnish -- fabulous!

5 395
 01-20-2016, 08:11 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I was offered my first oyster from visiting Gypsy Rose Lee while my grandpa fixed her shoes. I was 14 and gave a face looking at them. Gypsy leaned over and said 'it will help you with the girls'. We ate the whole plate-raw.

2 3,171
 02-12-2016, 06:16 AM
User Info
Tinned smoked oysters are a nice thing too....on crackers or in salads.

My wife recently went to the Korean supermarket in town and found packaged oysters in a pop-top can, in some kind of brine.
They were from Washington state, not some dodgy place. They were plump and tasty.

7 823
 02-12-2016, 08:12 AM
  • SciTX
  • Houston, TX Area
User Info
I live less than 30 miles from Galveston and the Gulf coast.....we love our oysters!!  We eat them often and all different kinds of ways....probably my favorite oysters these days are on the half shell with a lemon/garlic/parmesan compound butter and grilled over charcoal .....oh my!!   Actually now I may have to make some this weekend!!

0 62
 02-12-2016, 01:01 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(02-12-2016, 08:12 AM)SciTX Wrote: I live less than 30 miles from Galveston and the Gulf coast.....we love our oysters!!  We eat them often and all different kinds of ways....probably my favorite oysters these days are on the half shell with a lemon/garlic/parmesan compound butter and grilled over charcoal .....oh my!!   Actually now I may have to make some this weekend!!

Is Captain Benny's still around?  There were several: Westheimer just inside the loop, University Place near Rice University, somewhere on the Katy Freeway, and the SW Freeway at FM1092.  When I lived in Houston I frequented the Westheimer location weekly for a couple of dozen on the half shell, a few draft beers and deep fried catfish.  At the time a dozen on the half shell was $4.50.

5 818
 02-13-2016, 08:03 AM
User Info
I like a little lemon juice but I enjoy eating them with a nice glass of Manzanilla Sherry.

4 642
 07-24-2016, 05:40 PM
User Info
Oysters are a lot like abalone. They can be prepared soooooo many ways. My personal favorites: split to a 1/2 shell add a squirt of sirracha sauce and a squirt of hosin sauce. Bbq till bubbly.    Serve raw on the1/2 shell with a squeeze of lemon and dash of shirracha sauce. I can pack away dozens.  Just don't get any better. Serve a with a fresh loaf of sourdough bread.

0 28
 07-25-2016, 06:06 AM
User Info
There is a place in Wiscassett, Maine that has the very best fried clams I've ever eaten and I've eaten a lot of fried clams. We go there before summer tourist season and after they've gone home so that I can get my fix. The place is Red's Eats, google it. It has a national reputation. It's nothing to look at and the ambiance sux, but one doesn't go there for ambiance, but for the food. They also have a really good lobster roll that they're known for. Heck all of their seafood is good! But their fried clams are really special.

Just across the bridge near Reds Eats and down the peninsula in the direction of Boothbay is Glidden Point Oyster farm. That's where I'll be getting my oysters from when I purchase in bulk. For just a few I get them at the supermarket. Theirs come from a bit further away, maybe 150 miles away rather than 50.

But at home I just steam steamer clams (neck clams aka piss clams). I prefer steamers to lobster and they're super simple to cook. Just a bit of water into the bottom of a pot, 1/4 " is plenty, add the scrubbed steamers (Youngs in Belfast Maine has the best steamers in our area- never any sand) bring the covered pot to a boil and allow the steam produced to cook the clams. It just takes a  few minutes. To eat, take the open clams (as they die and cook they open) hold the siphon and pull off the membrane that forms the seal between the 2 parts of the shell and the skin from the siphon. I dunk in a cup of the clam broth to make sure any sand is flushed out. Then a dip in melted butter, and down the hatch. I eat the entire clam, even the siphon. When the clams are finished, you have a bit more to go... the broth. Put some of your melted butter on the top and drink it. Delicious!

32 6,366
 08-24-2016, 04:36 PM
User Info
Oyster raw with either a squirt of lemon or mignonette sauce.  I think its lemon and vinegar   a drop of sriracha is good too

1 53
 08-24-2016, 04:39 PM
User Info
Also like Oysters Rockerfeller.  Great in restaurants.  I was told the easy way to make them at home.  Oysters on half shell. top with spinach dip then grated cheese, Parmesan or Cheddar are both fine.  Put in oven at 350 for 10 minutes.  That's it.  Delicious

1 53