03-28-2015, 01:35 PM
  • Mike.CDN
  • Vancouver Island
User Info
Good Day
Ever since I bought this brush I have been using it everyday, it sits next to Simpsons Chubby, Duke and Wee Scot but I still grab the M6. Not only does it feel great in the hand and on my face I think it looks fantastic. When I first saw them I had wished it came in the standard Simpsons white colour but I like the faux horn so much I wish more Simpsons brushes came with faux horn handles.

[Image: ezEBsyN.jpg]

0 19
 03-28-2015, 01:54 PM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
They are a great brush, I'm glad I got one. Congratulations!

28 1,622
 03-28-2015, 02:27 PM
User Info
Love my #114. It gets better with every shave.  Number_one
I am still waiting for Mark to produce a TSN LE M7, preferably with a butterscotch handle... Cool

39 3,919
 03-28-2015, 02:54 PM
User Info
Very beautiful!

From my Tab through the Tap

1 1,975
 03-28-2015, 03:20 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Does yours have a noticeable glue bump?  Mine does and I find this unusual since none of my 8 other Simpson brushes has any kind of glue bump.

7 909
 03-28-2015, 03:36 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Congrats.

Its heart-warming to hear when someone has found a brush that gets regular and frequent use.
I've become that way with my Weber razor, but brushes...not so much.

60 1,600
 03-28-2015, 03:46 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(03-28-2015, 03:20 PM)Rufus Wrote: Does yours have a noticeable glue bump?  Mine does and I find this unusual since none of my 8 other Simpson brushes has any kind of glue bump.

Bryan, I believe all M6 brushes feature a "glue bump."

I suggest it was most likely a design element employed when there was a lot of noise from some of the membership in relation to knot diameter. Due to the shape and size of the handle, Mark was limited by the size of the knot he could offer. His original specifications seemed absolutely fine to me, but Mark obviously accommodated for those that claimed the knot needed to be wider. In order to achieve this the cavity would have to be bevelled and (I assume) structurally the glue bump became a necessary component of construction.

IMO the glue bump aids overall M6 knot integrity and without it the knot would likely splay much more significantly (as the usually vertical walls of the knot cavity are funnelled out away from the knot offering less support). For this reason, (as it deviates from usual Simpson brush design) it is likely to be the only Simpson brush where you'll find a noticeable glue bump on every brush.

Of course I must admit I'm not a brush maker and have never restored or reset a brush, so my theory is simply a hypothesis...

[Image: L5ag4zu.png]

99 18,011
 03-28-2015, 03:59 PM
User Info
Stunning brush, I must pick one of these up one day.

60 1,530
 03-28-2015, 05:57 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Thanks for the insight Ben.  I must say that the glue bump makes quite a difference to the performance of the M6 in comparison with the Jubilee, the knot of which has roughly the same dimensions and uses the same hair as the M6.

7 909
 03-28-2015, 06:43 PM
  • robk
  • New Jersey
User Info
I don't use mine every day. But each time that I use it I feel lucky have it.
[Image: iCgwtgu.jpg]

11 517
 03-28-2015, 09:28 PM
User Info
Used mine today and it was terrific! It's in my SOTD photo. I could use this brush everyday with no problem.

10 1,669
 03-28-2015, 09:32 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
The M6 is a great little brush and a glue bump isn't necessarily a bad thing (as I stated above, in this particular case I believe its there for a good reason).

99 18,011
 03-29-2015, 12:21 AM
User Info
Such a beautiful brush. I had two but sadly I had to part with both as they gave me brush burn with them being so stiff.

I found the extra glue used to make the knot made it far too stiff.

So far the P8 is king of the TSN le's for me.

7 1,182
 03-29-2015, 12:29 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(03-29-2015, 12:21 AM)Dipesh Wrote: Such a beautiful brush. I had two but sadly I had to part with both as they gave me brush burn with them being so stiff.

I found the extra glue used to make the knot made it far too stiff.

So far the P8 is king of the TSN le's for me.

Dipesh, I believe the M6 as Mark originally conceived it would have suited us better, but we are no doubt in the minority. That said I have 2, both of which I'll hand down to my sons. One of them however, will see some use before they inherit them...

99 18,011
 03-29-2015, 01:05 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(03-28-2015, 05:57 PM)Rufus Wrote: Thanks for the insight Ben.  I must say that the glue bump makes quite a difference to the performance of the M6 in comparison with the Jubilee, the knot of which has roughly the same dimensions and uses the same hair as the M6.

Out of curiosity, how does the M6 differ in performance to the Jubilee?  I really enjoy my Jubilee and thought the M6 would be the same just a different handle. 

Bob

0 1,694
 03-29-2015, 01:07 AM
  • Jovan
  • Banned
  • Traveling USA
User Info
I bought one for my brother as a gift.  He now uses it as his daily brush and loves it, I feel sorry for the Rover he was using that now sits unused.  The M6 is a real winner.

2 479
 03-29-2015, 02:16 AM
User Info
(03-29-2015, 01:05 AM)BobH Wrote:
(03-28-2015, 05:57 PM)Rufus Wrote: Thanks for the insight Ben.  I must say that the glue bump makes quite a difference to the performance of the M6 in comparison with the Jubilee, the knot of which has roughly the same dimensions and uses the same hair as the M6.

Out of curiosity, how does the M6 differ in performance to the Jubilee?  I really enjoy my Jubilee and thought the M6 would be the same just a different handle. 

Bob

Bob, I have the Jubilee and until a few months ago, the M6, also.

The absence of the glue bump in the Jubilee makes for an entirely different brush. The Jubilee is more "floppy" and has less backbone , but not in an undesirable way. I prefer brushes with a reasonable degree of backbone and scrub, not quite in Jubilee territory, but nevertheless, I love that brush. Like Dipesh, I felt the glue bump in the M6 gave to much rigidity to the knot. Two bushes with similar sized knots, yet totally different.

31 5,293
 03-29-2015, 03:16 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(03-29-2015, 02:16 AM)Optometrist Wrote:
(03-29-2015, 01:05 AM)BobH Wrote:

Bob

Bob, I have the Jubilee and until a few months ago, the M6, also.

The absence of the glue bump in the Jubilee makes for an entirely different brush. The Jubilee is more "floppy" and has less backbone , but not in an undesirable way. I prefer brushes with a reasonable degree of backbone and scrub, not quite in Jubilee territory, but nevertheless, I love that brush. Like Dipesh, I felt the glue bump in the M6 gave to much rigidity to the knot. Two bushes with similar sized knots, yet totally different.

I agree with that assessment although I don't regard the Jubilee as being floppy.  It definitely has less backbone than the M6, nonetheless it still has backbone to my liking.  In terms of knot size, softness, backbone and flow through, the Jubilee is my Goldilocks brush.

7 909
 03-29-2015, 04:23 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
The Jubilee is something that's more flexible and covers more surface area on he face due to the bigger splay without the bump, I find the M6 has a more focused feel on the face and you would feel the tips more given the less spreading of the brush due to the bump.

I can relate to the brush burn effect and was unfortunate it came along with some of the M6.

35 1,329
 03-29-2015, 05:10 AM
User Info
(03-28-2015, 02:27 PM)primotenore Wrote: Love my #114. It gets better with every shave.  Number_one
I am still waiting for Mark to produce a TSN LE M7, preferably with a butterscotch handle... Cool

It's a great brush and I have to agree that the more I use it the better it gets.

18 468