06-09-2012, 07:29 AM
User Info
"How long does a razor really last? Gillette comes clean

Talking about a blade's life span used to be taboo in razor marketing. Then hard times hit."

Fortune shaving article link

It looks like Gillette is trying to counter traditional wetshaving's claims of cost savings. Too bad for them they did so with very questionable accuracy. Commenters at the bottom of the page are countering their claims with real-world examples.

Gillette is claiming that its cartridges last five weeks. By itself, that claim is meaningless. How often does one shave to get this kind of blade life? Every day? Every third day? Once per week? Often marketing departments will test products with a group of users, get the results, but only publicize the most favorable of those results. Although truthful, such claims are misleading.

The Fortune article also mentions Gillette losing market share to a "retro razor craze". While they may be losing market share, I think the move to safety razors is much more than a craze. Craze implies temporary, but the move to traditional wetshaving is likely to be permanent for many people. Cost savings and better shaves is a winning combination. Gillette's Art of Shaving subsidiary plugs into part of this, but is just one of many shaving products vendors. Art of Shaving is beaten on both price and ease of purchase by many of the online stores. The more pressing problem for Gillette is that shavers will buy creams, soaps, aftershaves, etc. from the online vendors instead of Gillette. After all, these products work equally well with a cartridge or safety razor.

0 303
 06-09-2012, 08:27 AM
User Info
The article was also linked to at Fark.com, and the thread that resulted gave me a chuckle or ten.

3 3,580
 06-09-2012, 08:32 AM
User Info
I'm damn near tempted to call BS on some of the comments after the article.

"Five weeks is easy. I can get a few months out of a blade, and I have some pretty stiff whiskers. All you have to do is dry your blade off after each use. A few strokes on a towel works fine."

2 546
 06-09-2012, 08:40 AM
User Info
(06-09-2012, 07:29 AM)Tbone Wrote: "How long does a razor really last? Gillette comes clean

Talking about a blade's life span used to be taboo in razor marketing. Then hard times hit."

Fortune shaving article link

It looks like Gillette is trying to counter traditional wetshaving's claims of cost savings. Too bad for them they did so with very questionable accuracy. Commenters at the bottom of the page are countering their claims with real-world examples.

Gillette is claiming that its cartridges last five weeks. By itself, that claim is meaningless. How often does one shave to get this kind of blade life? Every day? Every third day? Once per week? Often marketing departments will test products with a group of users, get the results, but only publicize the most favorable of those results. Although truthful, such claims are misleading.

The Fortune article also mentions Gillette losing market share to a "retro razor craze". While they may be losing market share, I think the move to safety razors is much more than a craze. Craze implies temporary, but the move to traditional wetshaving is likely to be permanent for many people. Cost savings and better shaves is a winning combination. Gillette's Art of Shaving subsidiary plugs into part of this, but is just one of many shaving products vendors. Art of Shaving is beaten on both price and ease of purchase by many of the online stores. The more pressing problem for Gillette is that shavers will buy creams, soaps, aftershaves, etc. from the online vendors instead of Gillette. After all, these products work equally well with a cartridge or safety razor.

Yeah, I feel like I was hoodwinked for 40 years. I never used a DE until two years ago and was amazed by the closeness and comfort.

I went between disposable multiblade razors and electric razors (like father, like son on the latter), trying different brands and trying hard to come up with something I could live with.

Then I read an online article called The Zen of Shaving and the rest, shall we say, is history. LightbulbLightbulbLightbulb

0 282