03-28-2015, 07:44 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Days after selling a beautiful NOS gold Gillette Aristocrat my wife asks me to shave her legs.

For years I'd been trying to coax her in to trying a brush and DE. 

She regularly complains about carts, but until this morning refused to try anything else.

Sometime ago, I purchased her an LE Rooney with a candy swirl handle and an unused and flawless Gold Gillette Aristocrat.

* * * If the purchaser of the Gillette is reading this, this post is NOT buyers remorse or a pitch to buy it back. * * *

However, I'm now in search of a replacement fit for my beautiful wife...

This morning, we used...

[Image: laKZKk5.png]

Gold Futur (set at 2), Super Iridium blade, LE Rooney Candy Swirl Silver Tip, Aesop bowl, LPL Rose de Pashkur

My wife enjoyed the shave. 

The lather was her favourite component and she enjoyed painting her legs with the gently scented rose soap and soft caress of the Rooney Silver Tip.

Despite the fine styling of the Futur, the simple blade changing and the mild adjustment setting, the razor was far too slippery and possibly overweight.

She enjoys the finer things in life and I hope to source a razor that will be as pleasing in form as it is in function.

She is still nervous about changing blades.

I think she would prefer a gold finish as opposed to pinks and baby blues.

I'd prefer to gift her something new, or at least unused.

She shaves in the shower, so a handle with some grip will be important.

IMO a longer handle is also more suitable for shaving her legs.

Any thoughts or suggestions will be most welcome...

99 18,011
 03-28-2015, 08:50 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Would she or you consider a Schick Injector?  A lady Schick has a longer plastic handle (good for getting wet in the shower) and she does not have to touch the blade.  I can probably find you a NOS one here in the States.

179 23,925
 03-28-2015, 09:25 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(03-28-2015, 08:50 PM)Johnny Wrote: Would she or you consider a Schick Injector?  A lady Schick has a longer plastic handle (good for getting wet in the shower) and she does not have to touch the blade.  I can probably find you a NOS one here in the States.

Hadn't even considered an SE, great suggestion Johnny!  Thumbup

99 18,011
 03-28-2015, 10:09 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I think one of your gold Cobras would be just fine.  Biggrin Or perhaps a gold Mongoose with an extra long handle? I know the Lady Gillette came in pink and blue, but didn't it also come in a beige? It has a long handle and non-slip grip, and is even a popular mild shaver among men. I purchased an NOS blue one for my wife, and I couldn't get her to go back to using one, and let it go. That was about all we had when we first started shaving in the early sixty's. 

38 5,195
 03-28-2015, 11:02 PM
User Info
my wife loves her weber. she uses it with a handle from maggards which is a bit longer than the classic. she has around 5 or 6 (right now) brushes and all her own shave soap etc. she loves to shave this way and has been for almost a couple years now.

16 660
 03-28-2015, 11:49 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(03-28-2015, 10:09 PM)evnpar Wrote: I think one of your gold Cobras would be just fine.  Biggrin Or perhaps a gold Mongoose with an extra long handle? I know the Lady Gillette came in pink and blue, but didn't it also come in a beige? It has a long handle and non-slip grip, and is even a popular mild shaver among men. I purchased an NOS blue one for my wife, and I couldn't get her to go back to using one, and let it go. That was about all we had when we first started shaving in the early sixty's. 

A NOS Champagne Lady Gillette would be great (and I have been looking). 

Not so sure about the extra width (and efficiency of the SE Cobra or Mongoose).

99 18,011
 03-29-2015, 10:55 AM
User Info
(03-28-2015, 08:50 PM)Johnny Wrote: Would she or you consider a Schick Injector?  A lady Schick has a longer plastic handle (good for getting wet in the shower) and she does not have to touch the blade.  I can probably find you a NOS one here in the States.

+1

Shannon uses a Lady Eversharp.  Gold finish, long textured (plastic) handle.  She likes it, and they're readily available on eBay. I don't think I could talk her into using a DE, at least not until our boys are older and she actually has a few minutes to get the job done.

0 1,097
 03-29-2015, 11:43 AM
User Info
(03-29-2015, 10:55 AM)Shannons Soaps Wrote:

+1

Shannon uses a Lady Eversharp.  Gold finish, long textured (plastic) handle.  She likes it, and they're readily available on eBay. I don't think I could talk her into using a DE, at least not until our boys are older and she actually has a few minutes to get the job done.
This is the same thing my wife uses. Nice razor.

0 862
 03-29-2015, 01:28 PM
User Info
Congratulations, Ben! 

Inexpensive DE = Merkur 23C with its great long handle. You could also order the Weber Classic handle and use a Weber head if you still have one. They are great shavers for the legs! Your wife will really appreciate the long handle.   Thumbup
You could also go with a Wolfman WR1-SB + WRH3 handle which is quite long. 
Good luck. 

83 21,109