03-29-2015, 05:23 AM
User Info
I just received my Feather SS folding razor and had to post this. I worked for a Japanese company as an engineer for 6 years over 40 years ago and I owned 5 Lexus. Nothing has changed. The Japanese turn out products well engineered with top quality and have no concept of design. My 5 Lexus sedans all looked the same. The Feather SS folding razor is well made and performs at the top of its competition. It is also on the top price level. The balance, ease of loading a blade and materials are by far the best except for the handle. The con as usual is the scale is really cheap. It is an insult, its like putting a kia logo on a Mercedes. I just sent my razor out for a custom scale because this really annoys me. Another straight razor user said it is like being married to a ugly women who is a great cook. He also pointed out that I could have bought a Boker Straight by the time I am done with the replacement scale. I know there are those who will say who cares if it shaves great. My answer; I like to believe that wet shaving should be enjoyed like a fine wine or stay with cartridges and caned shaving creme. I would hope that vendors who belong to the Shave Nook and carry Feather razors will convey how Feathers target market feel. Now I feel a little better venting this. All those who agree raise up and be heard!

6 164
 03-29-2015, 07:04 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I sold mine and got the non-folding version.  Problem solved.

178 23,809
 03-29-2015, 09:17 AM
User Info
(03-29-2015, 07:04 AM)Johnny Wrote: I sold mine and got the non-folding version.  Problem solved.
I found a member who can do scale replacement, maybe, on the Feather.  I really like the feel of the folding straight over my Feather SS and DX non folding.  I guess I am stubborn but I really think it can be a top straight with a new scale.  Will keep everyone posted.  If the scale can be replaced I will post a picture.  I also like the DX with the wood handle which may be an option if the scale can't be replaced.

6 164
 03-29-2015, 09:32 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(03-29-2015, 09:17 AM)A CUT ABOVE Wrote:
(03-29-2015, 07:04 AM)Johnny Wrote: I sold mine and got the non-folding version.  Problem solved.
I found a member who can do scale replacement, maybe, on the Feather.  I really like the feel of the folding straight over my Feather SS and DX non folding.  I guess I am stubborn but I really think it can be a top straight with a new scale.  Will keep everyone posted.  If the scale can be replaced I will post a picture.  I also like the DX with the wood handle which may be an option if the scale can't be replaced.

I've seen the SS with factory teak wood scales and it looked very nice.  I believe member mycarver has done scales on the SS before.

178 23,809
 03-29-2015, 10:02 AM
User Info
(03-29-2015, 09:32 AM)Johnny Wrote:
(03-29-2015, 09:17 AM)A CUT ABOVE Wrote:

I've seen the SS with factory teak wood scales and it looked very nice.  I believe member mycarver has done scales on the SS before.

Thanks for the lead, I will contact him.

6 164
 04-01-2015, 07:12 AM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
I gave mine away to my son. He likes it.
A rescale will make it look the like quality that you paid for.
~Richard

8 1,194
 04-03-2015, 03:23 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
I am just getting started on rescaling a Feather Dx in translucent honey horn.

Posted from somewhere east of Montauk

33 914
 04-03-2015, 03:37 PM
User Info
(04-03-2015, 03:23 PM)MikekiM Wrote: I am just getting started on rescaling a Feather Dx in translucent honey horn.

Posted from somewhere east of Montauk

Sounds great, would like to see a picture when its done.

6 164