06-09-2012, 08:48 AM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
So I moved into a new town two years ago, and believe it or not, I just found a barber. I've been going to supercuts b/c I couldn't find a nice barber shop.

Well, I went to the barber today, and we started talking while he was "trimming" my hair. Wound up with a military style haircut instead of just a trim, i'm sure it was just a misunderstanding, and i'll give him another chance at cutting. BUT.....

We spoke about shaving, because I noticed he had a strop and a few straights. I told him I was looking to get into straight shaving, and his words were "don't, you'll cut yourself up" . He then told me that he shaves with two blade disposables, no cream or soap, right out of the shower Confused He went on to say that lather is for "cowboys"!!!!!

I told him that I shave with a brush/cream/DE razor, and he thought I was crazy. However, he asked me to bring my gear in next time so he could see. I think he may just like it! I still think he's off his rocker though, and I may need to find another barber shop.

Sorry for the long post, just trying to get it all out while it's fresh in my head (as I have no hair left to hold it in).

9 408
 06-09-2012, 08:54 AM
User Info
(06-09-2012, 08:48 AM)biggiej42 Wrote: So I moved into a new town two years ago, and believe it or not, I just found a barber. I've been going to supercuts b/c I couldn't find a nice barber shop.

Well, I went to the barber today, and we started talking while he was "trimming" my hair. Wound up with a military style haircut instead of just a trim, i'm sure it was just a misunderstanding, and i'll give him another chance at cutting. BUT.....

We spoke about shaving, because I noticed he had a strop and a few straights. I told him I was looking to get into straight shaving, and his words were "don't, you'll cut yourself up" . He then told me that he shaves with two blade disposables, no cream or soap, right out of the shower Confused He went on to say that lather is for "cowboys"!!!!!

I told him that I shave with a brush/cream/DE razor, and he thought I was crazy. However, he asked me to bring my gear in next time so he could see. I think he may just like it! I still think he's off his rocker though, and I may need to find another barber shop.

Sorry for the long post, just trying to get it all out while it's fresh in my head (as I have no hair left to hold it in).

I think you may be right. Dodgy

2 546
 06-09-2012, 08:54 AM
User Info
Interesting experience. At least your hair will grow out, but I'm certain that I'd never ask him to do a straight shave on me! Winky

31 7,914
 06-09-2012, 08:56 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I'd say you've all ready had your close shave with the hair cut...

91 17,875
 06-09-2012, 08:58 AM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
I think so too. Luckily today is just our wedding shower, and we won't be married till mid-July. My hair will grow back enough to salvage a good cut for the ceremony!!!!!!

I forgot to add that part that our wedding is coming up soon. I'm glad I didn't try a new barber the week beforeSmile

9 408
 06-09-2012, 09:02 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Congratulations on your impending nuptials!

91 17,875
 06-09-2012, 09:10 AM
User Info
I wonder if your barber has the strop and straights just for appearance purposes, as artifacts. Maybe you could take your DE stuff and show him how it's done! Wink

15 316
 06-09-2012, 09:15 AM
  • xraygun
  • Bainbridge Island
User Info
If by "nuts" you mean "moron" then yes. Find a better barber.

5 270
 06-09-2012, 09:16 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
(06-09-2012, 08:58 AM)biggiej42 Wrote: I think so too. Luckily today is just our wedding shower, and we won't be married till mid-July. My hair will grow back enough to salvage a good cut for the ceremony!!!!!!

I forgot to add that part that our wedding is coming up soon. I'm glad I didn't try a new barber the week beforeSmile

Cowboy up my friend and good luck!!

116 3,804
 06-09-2012, 09:26 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Sounds like an ex-military barber. Cut em high and tight.

Confucious Johnny says man who wet shaves without any soap/cream/gel/foam is fool.Biggrin

173 23,553
 06-09-2012, 10:49 AM
User Info
(06-09-2012, 08:58 AM)biggiej42 Wrote: I think so too. Luckily today is just our wedding shower, and we won't be married till mid-July. My hair will grow back enough to salvage a good cut for the ceremony!!!!!!

Congrats Biggie. May you have many wonderful years together.
As my wife occasionally reminds me... "Didn't you get lucky". I say "yes dear".Biggrin

2 546
 06-09-2012, 12:31 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Congrats on your upcoming wedding.

I think Johnny statement sum it all up.
Not everyone wants to know the path to a great shave.

1 3,507
 06-09-2012, 01:42 PM
User Info
There are basically 2 types of barbers: 1) The barber who asks you how you want it cut, but cuts it the only way HE knows how. 2) The barber who asks you how you like it cut, and then cuts it like you want it. My advice, go to the #2 type of barber.

This may help you next time, so that both of you are speaking the same lanquage: confirm with the barber, exactly what a 'trim' is to YOU. The meaning of a 'trim' to a barber, is COMPLETELY different than what a 'trim' is to you. Unfortunately, many barbers cut hair the way they think it should be worn, or they cut it the only way they know how. I could go on and on about this, but won't.

Now, based on your original post and your story... it appears as if that barber doens't really care about the grooming side of being a man. Way back in the day, barbers were grooming experts, and definately would'nt have told you to shave with just water. They were just as concerned and passionate about the comfort of their services, as they were about executing them with professionalism, expert technique, and making sure that the patron was well taken care of and pleased with the services.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

0 28
 06-09-2012, 01:47 PM
User Info
Congratulations on the coming nuptials!

Just one more thing ... find another barber!

1 2,827
 06-09-2012, 01:51 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-09-2012, 08:48 AM)biggiej42 Wrote: So I moved into a new town two years ago, and believe it or not, I just found a barber. I've been going to supercuts b/c I couldn't find a nice barber shop.

To me this sounds like an optometrist who refuses to wear glasses because he is satisfied with his technique of squinting. I'd avoid this guy like the plague UNLESS he is very young and can be taught. If this is the case, teach him.

0 396
 06-09-2012, 01:53 PM
User Info
Biggie, you may need a new barber from what he has said.
Congratulations on the impending ceremony!

75 20,883
 06-09-2012, 03:47 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info

You would need to wear a hair piece at your wedding.24

100 12,448
 06-09-2012, 03:49 PM
User Info
Congratulations and many happy years together....

Run into that problem several times,have had much better luck when women cut my hair.My wife on the other hand says women doing her hair can be far too pushy and all too often do their own thing despite what she requests.Not sure what all that means or why it goes that way.Cool

7 414
 06-09-2012, 04:29 PM
User Info
Honestly, because of my business, I've visited many a barber over the last few years. I can tell you from first hand experience that most of the members of the shaving forums know a lot more about shaving then many barbers I've run into. The reality is... most barbers these days aren't trained to perform a great shave and finding a barber that can perform a great shave isn't easy.

That said, there are a few skilled men out there... you just have to hunt a little.

Shaving without some sort of lubricant, in my opinion (for most men), is just plain bad advice.

3 315
 06-09-2012, 06:36 PM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
Thank you all for your congratulatory words!

Also, thank you all for your advice. I will be seeking out another barber. I was really hoping that I had found a good one. The sad part is that he has been a barber for 18 years, and his father was a barber before him. I should have known better, as his hair was cropped very short, and most of the men waiting had very short haircuts. It made for a good conversation at the shower today! I haven't had this short of hair since I was a teenager.

This barber would have been very convenient, only 1.5 miles from my house... oh well, the search continues.

9 408