03-30-2015, 08:34 AM
User Info
Hi all!

Today I have a vintage NOS Old Spice mug with the plastic cover and imprinted, unused soap!  Here is what I have been able to research about this mug.

[Image: rSlnBPT.jpg]  [Image: P1GWIOy.jpg]

First, there is a thin, red, plastic cover without a tab, and with the Old Spice star and compass embedded into it.  This was produced from 1967 up through the 1980’s. There is a crack on one of the edge pieces (see top of picture below).

[Image: 1AXhkNU.jpg]

Second, the soap is somewhere between 1965 – 1973.  In 1973, the row of stars surrounding the ship were dropped.  Also, by 1976 the weight of  puck of soap was close to 3 oz.  The current weight of  this puck is 3.2 oz (and has likely dried out over the years), which also leads me to think it is pre-1976.  It also still has a very present (and pleasant) smell, which is surprising to me!

[Image: 1IJ8zaM.jpg]

CONCLUSION:  So I think what I have here is a vintage OS mug with, at the very least, an unused or very lightly used old puck of soap, from somewhere between 1967 and 1973. 

In all honesty, I did not realize how cool this piece was until I started to do some more research on it – had no idea it was that old!

I am having a hard time figuring out how to price this, as I just haven't seen many that have the original soap.  One that was a bit older than this sold for $50 a while ago on TSN.  Since this one is not quite as old, I am asking $40, including standard well-packed shipping.

As with any listing, I appreciate any feedback if I am off in pricing OR if this thing ends up not being nearly as cool as I think it is!  =)

Thanks for looking and have a great week folks!

Bill

1 52