03-30-2015, 10:04 AM
User Info
For the past year my daily razor has been a 2013 R41 with a Tradere handle. I experimented with other razors, ATT, various Gillette's, Mergress, Joris, 2011 R41 etc.  I always came back to the 2013 R41 as it was the easiest to get a very good shave with. I tried a Fatip Grande and didn't care for it. I recently acquired a Fatip Piccolo and thought I would give it a go. I used a Gillette 7 O'clock Blue SP. I was pleasantly surprised. The feel and ease of use with the Piccolo was a treat. It is small but has a nice weight to it. It maneuvers very nicely under the nose and overall has a good feel. I also really liked the 7 O'clock blue. Smooth and sharp. My go to blades for the R41 have been Personna Reds, GSB and Voskhods in no special order. I will be adding the 7 O'clock blues to that rotation. I had not seen a write up on the Piccolo so I thought I would add this. If it is a duplicate please tell me and I will remove it. I think it will keep it's place in rotation with the R41.

14 97
 03-30-2015, 10:21 AM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
....i have a Fatip............and i found it to be fairly aggressive............ its kiss can be quite sharp if you aren't careful............

43 1,063
 03-30-2015, 03:43 PM
  • srgjazz
  • Santa Monica
User Info
I used my Piccolo yesterday. I li kit better than the 2013 R41. FWIW I get a closer smoother shave with the Progress set on 4. 

47 677
 03-31-2015, 06:00 AM
User Info
I really enjoy my Piccolo, I find it, to me, just under the R41 when paired with a Kai or Feather and the Pearl is just below the Piccolo. I love these razors and my Merkur Future, life is good Smile

8 264
 04-02-2015, 10:00 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I owned a few FaTips (both Piccolo and Grande). I found them similar in efficiency, but less comfortable than Joris (all metal versions).

The shorter handle might be the reason for the improved shave, as it will be better balanced than the grande (which is one of the reasons I prefer the Joris).

I suspect you may find the FaTip more efficient than the R41 (2013), but is it as comfortable?

The post 2010/pre 2013 R41 was more aggressive than the current version (and more aggressive than the FaTip IMO).

99 18,011
 04-03-2015, 04:27 AM
User Info
(04-02-2015, 10:00 PM)en74 Wrote: I owned a few FaTips (both Piccolo and Grande). I found them similar in efficiency, but less comfortable than Joris (all metal versions).

The shorter handle might be the reason for the improved shave, as it will be better balanced than the grande (which is one of the reasons I prefer the Joris).

I suspect you may find the FaTip more efficient than the R41 (2013), but is it as comfortable?

The post 2010/pre 2013 R41 was more aggressive than the current version (and more aggressive than the FaTip IMO).
Hi Ben,
I have a Joris with the Thuga wood handle. This razor is so pretty that I really want to like it better but I hardly use it. It seems to cut me more than my whiskers. I know that handle length, weight etc. have a large impact on the feel and balance of a razor. Maybe I should try a metal handle on the Joris. This is the one I have.
Mike
[Image: JOR13931.T-2.jpg]

[Image: JOR13931-Joris-Gold-Safety-Razor-Thuja.jpg]

14 97
 04-03-2015, 04:32 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(04-03-2015, 04:27 AM)nwohio Wrote:
(04-02-2015, 10:00 PM)ben74 Wrote: I owned a few FaTips (both Piccolo and Grande). I found them similar in efficiency, but less comfortable than Joris (all metal versions).

Hi Ben,
I have a Joris with the Thuga wood handle. This razor is so pretty that I really want to like it better but I hardly use it. It seems to cut me more than my whiskers. I know that handle length, weight etc. have a large impact on the feel and balance of a razor. Maybe I should try a metal handle on the Joris. This is the one I have.
Mike

I used to own horn, resin and wood Joris, but now only all metal.

[Image: j7fpFhl.png]

For me, the balance of these is superior to the (perhaps more aesthetically pleasing) other handle options.

99 18,011
 04-03-2015, 04:44 AM
User Info
(04-03-2015, 04:32 AM)ben74 Wrote:
(04-03-2015, 04:27 AM)nwohio Wrote:
(04-02-2015, 10:00 PM)ben74 Wrote: I owned a few FaTips (both Piccolo and Grande). I found them similar in efficiency, but less comfortable than Joris (all metal versions).

Hi Ben,
Mike

For me, the balance of these is superior to the (perhaps more aesthetically pleasing) other handle options.

Does anyone sell just the handles? 

14 97
 04-03-2015, 04:48 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(04-03-2015, 04:44 AM)nwohio Wrote:
(04-03-2015, 04:32 AM)ben74 Wrote:
(04-03-2015, 04:27 AM)nwohio Wrote: Hi Ben,
Mike

Does anyone sell just the handles? 

Not that I know of.

99 18,011
 04-06-2015, 12:11 PM
User Info
 My usual razors are the different Gillette New variations, Ikon  SC 101  and the Progress set at 3. I've been DE shaving now for about 8 months and  thought my skills/prep had advanced enough to try a more aggressive razor and the Piccolo seemed like a logical choice .I have an ATT with  M 1 and M2 plates  that I got as a Christmas gift and I thought that it was aggressive at the time but I have since come to terms with it .My last two shaves were with the Fatip Piccolo and they  turned out IMO to be a surprisingly comfortable  , I guess I was expecting lots of neck irritation which I use as a measure of harshness /aggression .this has me questioning what is meant by aggression .I found the Piccolo to be comfortable and not particularly effective compared to my usual razors.I used a Voskhod blade which is one of my favorites maybe this is a bad pairing and for my next shave I'll use a PS Iridium .Really like how the Piccolo handles but was surprised that it was not as effective as others who use it  have reported. This is my first go at an aggressive razor maybe with time and practice  it will become more efficient, with my ATT M2 the first shaves were uncomfortable but the shaves  were smoother. Is there something I should know about the Piccolo to make it work better? 

Glenn  

2 50
 04-06-2015, 04:44 PM
User Info
(04-06-2015, 12:11 PM)hobgoblin Wrote:  My usual razors are the different Gillette New variations, Ikon  SC 101  and the Progress set at 3. I've been DE shaving now for about 8 months and  thought my skills/prep had advanced enough to try a more aggressive razor and the Piccolo seemed like a logical choice .I have an ATT with  M 1 and M2 plates  that I got as a Christmas gift and I thought that it was aggressive at the time but I have since come to terms with it .My last two shaves were with the Fatip Piccolo and they  turned out IMO to be a surprisingly comfortable  , I guess I was expecting lots of neck irritation which I use as a measure of harshness /aggression .this has me questioning what is meant by aggression .I found the Piccolo to be comfortable and not particularly effective compared to my usual razors.I used a Voskhod blade which is one of my favorites maybe this is a bad pairing and for my next shave I'll use a PS Iridium .Really like how the Piccolo handles but was surprised that it was not as effective as others who use it  have reported. This is my first go at an aggressive razor maybe with time and practice  it will become more efficient, with my ATT M2 the first shaves were uncomfortable but the shaves  were smoother. Is there something I should know about the Piccolo to make it work better? 

Glenn  

Everyone is different but I would suggest checking the angle. Each razor has it's sweet spot and you have to adjust to that razor. I would also try different blades. My favs for the Fatip are Voskhod, GSB, Red Personna and blue 7 oclock. I certainly don't think the Piccolo is less efficient than the other razors you listed. For me it would be just the opposite but YMMV. I have used an ATT OC  H2 and for me it came in behind the R41 and Fatip as far as efficiency/effectiveness. I have not yet tried the Ikon. I will have to do something about that Smile

14 97
 04-06-2015, 09:05 PM
User Info
Gosh Ben, those three all metal Joris razors are real beauties! It seems that Joris are difficult to find (and more expensive than I would have guessed). Fendrihan has some, but not as pretty as yours are. I see they are made in France -- anybody know what the shaving head is made of? Brass? Zamak?
Euro

5 395
 04-17-2015, 10:57 PM
User Info
The Joris head is made of brass. It is the same head as the Fatip. Both are very fine razors. I find the Fatip and Joris much smoother than the R41 Muhle. The R41 always always seem to tug at my beard instead of cutting. 
I liked the Fatip nickel plated one I had so much I also got a gold plated one. Can't beat the price.

5 1,516
 05-13-2015, 03:49 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Used my new Fatip Piccolo exactly twice with a Gillette Silver Blue blade and the initial impression is that it shaves very closely and comfortably. My Muhle R41 2013 version with a Feather blade may shave a little closer but it is not quite as comfortable a shave. Right up there with those two is my Merkur slant with a Feather blade and probably a tie with the Piccolo for closeness and comfort of shave. Not a lot to pick between the three of them in what I want in a new production DE and the shaves I want from them. 

Some OC vintage Gillettes  as well the Gillette Fat Boy with a Feather blade and a setting @ 9 shave as well for me.

I was surprised to find my Bull Dog handle will not screw onto the Piccolo head, different thread pitch I guess.

All in all I think the Piccolo is a fine modern take on an OC DE razor. Always liked OC DEs because they are virtually non clogging for me.

Bob

0 1,694
 05-13-2015, 04:11 AM
User Info
I got a FaTip Piccolo about a month ago. The first few shaves were a bit dicey but I'm dialed in pretty good now. I've only used Astra SP blades in it so far. Next blade will be a Feather. I have sensitive to normal skin and a full but softish beard...not the typical candidate for an aggressive razor I suppose. Still, I really like the flexibility that an aggressive razor gives me and it has definitely taught me to use NO PRESSURE.

I just purchased three vintage adjustables this week and am anxious to compare them to my FaTip once I get them cleaned up. The only criticism I have about the FaTip is that there is a blade alignment issue. I have to manually align the blade when I load it. Other than that I think it's one of the best values in a modern razor. And it's all brass construction!

0 26
 05-13-2015, 06:15 AM
User Info
I had one for quite a while, and used it on a Tradere handle, for the most part.  I always thought it was pretty smooth. 

I sold it mainly because the blade alignment issues were driving me insane.  I kinda wish I hadn't parted with it, though.  It's a good shaver.

2 1,387
 05-13-2015, 07:27 AM
  • Thug
  • South Africa
User Info
I hated it initially but after some perseverance it's now my daily razor.

0 403
 05-13-2015, 08:39 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
After shaving for longer than I care to remember I had never heard of blade alignment issues with a DE until I got on some shaving forums a few years ago. No doubt I have used DEs with alignment problems if it really is a widespread issue just never noticed it. I am guessing it would have to be a really large misalignment for me to notice in a shave.

Bob 

0 1,694
 05-13-2015, 09:44 AM
User Info
I have a fatip, and I'll admit it gets overlooked now a lot ,because of my love for the r41. For the money the Fatip is hard to beat IMO. Mine doesnt have any of the finish problems, and the blade alignment is about as picky as a merkur slant. These days believe it or not my wife has taken over my fatip as her shaver,and benched her Edwin Jagger. Oh the feeling when I saw the fatip pressed against her leg ,with a fresh feather blade,it was a proud day indeed!

3 1,356