03-30-2015, 11:12 AM
User Info
So I originally got into wet shaving because I was trying to save money/get a better shave. But once I found this forum, I have gotten hooked. Whether it be acquiring new razors or new soaps to try, I love the whole experience. My wife was totally on board initially but I must say, I have been getting a lot of funny looks lately with all of the stuff I get in the mail. Good thing for me, is that I balance it out by letting her indulge her interests. That and being more helpful around the house and with the kids has kept her off my back.
How do you guys deal with your better half in regards to our lovely hobby?

Edit: Just realized I posted this in the wrong forum. Any advice on how to move it?

80 947
 03-30-2015, 11:23 AM
User Info
She supports me 100% with no questions asked - loves the soap scents, thinks the old vintage Gillette razors are cool (I have six), and has no qualms with the dozen or so brushes.  I ordered some knots from TGN and Virginia (China) and my wife thinks it is pretty neat that I am building some home-made brushes.

Ed

21 751
 03-30-2015, 11:25 AM
User Info
That's awesome! My wife does not give me too much of a hard time; I think just after years of cartridge shaving, this is all a little new for her. But she does love the fact that I am clean shaven more than I used to be.

80 947
 03-30-2015, 11:30 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
First off, my wife has always appreciated me being clean shaven and smelling good.  I've always wet shaved for the past 50+ years, so this was nothing new to me and money never entered the equation, until I discovered shaving forums.  I was like a kid with a nickel in a twenty five cent candy store.  I wanted it all and could not afford any of it.  Well, they alway say, if there is a will there is a way, and I found the way.

At first my wife did not think anything about it until one day I had one brush and the next day I had 8 new brushes hanging on the wall.  Then came the soaps and creams, and the after shaves.  She finally asked me why I needed so much stuff just to shave.  Then I silenced her by asking her why she had 65 pair of Berkinstock Shoes.  After all dear, you only have two feet.

Now if she mail orders something, no matter how foolish I think it might be, I just smile and keep my big mouth shut.

My wife has never met any of these gentlemen but believe me, she knows them all by first name.  Phil, Ben, Ravi, Celestino, Teiste, Freddy, Tex Billy, Emanuel, and Andrew.  Now she has met Freddy, Tex Billy, and Andrew in person and thinks they are pretty nice guys, and when I went to a California meet last year she was excited for me.  But she still shakes her head at some of the stuff I have.

I am trying to use the Ben approach by telling her I will pass it down to my son's and grandson's.  Right now that's working.

Good luck.

175 23,752
 03-30-2015, 11:49 AM
User Info
(03-30-2015, 11:30 AM)Johnny Wrote: First off, my wife has always appreciated me being clean shaven and smelling good.  I've always wet shaved for the past 50+ years, so this was nothing new to me and money never entered the equation, until I discovered shaving forums.  I was like a kid with a nickel in a twenty five cent candy store.  I wanted it all and could not afford any of it.  Well, they alway say, if there is a will there is a way, and I found the way.

At first my wife did not think anything about it until one day I had one brush and the next day I had 8 new brushes hanging on the wall.  Then came the soaps and creams, and the after shaves.  She finally asked me why I needed so much stuff just to shave.  Then I silenced her by asking her why she had 65 pair of Berkinstock Shoes.  After all dear, you only have two feet.

Now if she mail orders something, no matter how foolish I think it might be, I just smile and keep my big mouth shut.

My wife has never met any of these gentlemen but believe me, she knows them all by first name.  Phil, Ben, Ravi, Celestino, Teiste, Freddy, Tex Billy, Emanuel, and Andrew.  Now she has met Freddy, Tex Billy, and Andrew in person and thinks they are pretty nice guys, and when I went to a California meet last year she was excited for me.  But she still shakes her head at some of the stuff I have.

I am trying to use the Ben approach by telling her I will pass it down to my son's and grandson's.  Right now that's working.

Good luck.

Johnny,

I understand where your coming from. I too felt like a kid in a candy store and I wanted everything but just could not afford it all. I acquired so many items during my first few months, that I started to question if I was obsessed. I have since whittled down my collection into the items that I absolutely can't do without and am in the process of trading/selling the rest. 

And yes, I am 100% with you regarding just keeping your mouth shut; nothing good will come out of doing the opposite. Thanks for sharing.

80 947
 03-30-2015, 11:52 AM
User Info
Awesome thread! And I'm with Johnny on the last part! My son will have this as a new tradition in our family and will pass it on, so forth. Truthfully, he doesn't even like the look of cartridge razors and enjoys coming into our bedroom, to look at my collection on my side!

My wife supports it and loves to even shave my head! She always comes with me when i go to the antique malls to look around. We actually make it a family trip every few weeks. It's very rewarding being a young mixed family and experiencing the great items and products of yesteryear and my 10 year old son loves it as well.

I did, however ask her if she'd ever have an issue with me getting all these things for decades to come, and she said, never! She enjoys my hobby and the fact that it makes me happy and my son excited for when he is older.

1 1,975
 03-30-2015, 12:16 PM
User Info
(03-30-2015, 11:52 AM)C-NoEviL Wrote: Awesome thread! And I'm with Johnny on the last part!  My son will have this as a new tradition in our family and will pass it on, so forth.  Truthfully, he doesn't even like the look of cartridge razors and enjoys coming into our bedroom, to look at my collection on my side!

My wife supports it and loves to even shave my head! She always comes with me when i go to the antique malls to look around.  We actually make it a family trip every few weeks.  It's very rewarding being a young mixed family and experiencing the great items and products of yesteryear and my 10 year old son loves it as well.

I did, however ask her if she'd ever have an issue with me getting all these things for decades to come, and she said, never!  She enjoys my hobby and the fact that it makes me happy and my son excited for when he is older.

Thanks C-NoEviL. It's so funny, my 9 year old son and 3 year old daughter are the same. They love to come look to see the process when I am shaving; heck, my daughter even applies lather to her face when I am. My son is also super interested and asks a lot of questions about the different razors. At this point he's not too interested in the soaps, but I'm sure he will get there.

That's fantastic that this hobby has brought your family closer together. Thanks for sharing.

80 947
 03-30-2015, 12:29 PM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
I got in a bit of trouble when I started. My wife's mother buys household products like doomsday prepper. My wife thought I was going down the same path. Until I bought her some soaps from Martin de Candre that is. 

She still thinks I have too much of everything but understands the variety and enjoys her better hair brushes from Kent and European soaps. 

7 438
 03-30-2015, 12:30 PM
User Info
To answer the main question...my wife has zero issues with the time, but is having more and more issues with the acquisitions  Blush

39 3,868
 03-30-2015, 12:33 PM
User Info
She either ignores it or makes fun of it. I thought I got her into the soaps but it was short lived. I think she just ran out of shaving gel and used it out of necessity. She has gotten into fragrances though.

4 355
 03-30-2015, 12:42 PM
User Info
Well as I am meant to be saving for a house and I don't have an excuse like "it's to pass down to my sons" because I don't have any.....she takes it pretty well. She smells the soaps and then says yay or nay, simple.

Same can't be said for my Dad and mum, I hide the parcels for him.

4 642
 03-30-2015, 12:48 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
My wife has gotten where she can tell what after shave I'm using by the scent.  Same with some of the soaps.  But the combination she like the best is when I use either ARKO or MWF soap followed up with some Floid Blue.  It never fails, a kiss on the cheek and the words, that's nice.  No matter what else I use, that's the only combination that gets a kiss and comments.

I guess I could save money and just stock up on those three products.  But what's the fun in that?

175 23,752
 03-30-2015, 12:48 PM
User Info
(03-30-2015, 12:30 PM)primotenore Wrote: To answer the main question...my wife has zero issues with the time, but is having more and more issues with the acquisitions  Blush

Great answer!

My wife is the opposite, she has gives me grief over the time I spend shaving and not so much the products...yet

80 947
 03-30-2015, 12:50 PM
User Info
(03-30-2015, 12:29 PM)jtmke Wrote: I got in a bit of trouble when I started. My wife's mother buys household products like doomsday prepper. My wife thought I was going down the same path. Until I bought her some soaps from Martin de Candre that is. 

She still thinks I have too much of everything but understands the variety and enjoys her better hair brushes from Kent and European soaps. 

LOL, when all else fails, kill them with acquisitions tailor made for them. 

80 947
 03-30-2015, 12:51 PM
User Info
I get an occasional dig, but I don't talk about the hobby much, I keep the size of the den down to minimal levels, and I get up early.

8 896
 03-30-2015, 12:52 PM
User Info
(03-30-2015, 12:48 PM)Johnny Wrote: My wife has gotten where she can tell what after shave I'm using by the scent.  Same with some of the soaps.  But the combination she like the best is when I use either ARKO or MWF soap followed up with some Floid Blue.  It never fails, a kiss on the cheek and the words, that's nice.  No matter what else I use, that's the only combination that gets a kiss and comments.

I guess I could save money and just stock up on those three products.  But what's the fun in that?

Absolutely NONE! MWF is one of my favorite soap scents as I tend to prefer soaps that make me feel like I just cleaned my face. Still have yet to try Floid, but I think I will eventually bite and get myself some.

80 947
 03-30-2015, 01:01 PM
User Info
(03-30-2015, 12:51 PM)Rory1262 Wrote: I get an occasional dig, but I don't talk about the hobby much, I keep the size of the den down to minimal levels, and I get up early.

The out of sight out of mind strategy, I like it!

80 947
 03-30-2015, 01:02 PM
User Info
In the beginning I used to get a lot of curious looks but things changed over time. For years she pursued her various ADs and I would always be on her case about it. But now that I have my own ADs, I give her more leeway and she has learned to give me some as well. 

38 1,159
 03-30-2015, 01:15 PM
User Info
I started down the slippery slope of traditional blade shaving to save $ also, and that worked for 6 months to a year. Then I caught the various ADs from the gents on the forums.

Since I've never spent a dime of "community" money on any of my shave gear, except the VDH kit that started the ball rolling, she hasn't said a word. The VDH kit? It was either change to something else or buy more expensive cartridges.

I've always kept my gear out of the way and out of sight in it's own cabinet, so she has nothing in the way or to clean up, so there's really nothing she can comment on. She does see gear come in, less now than in years past and she's curious, but it's just no big deal.

32 6,445
 03-30-2015, 01:30 PM
User Info
Supported 100%. As long as bills and family come first then no issue. Granted,  if she knew exactly how much I spent starting out she might be a little shocked lol. Separate checking accounts for the win! 

147 3,459