06-09-2012, 12:15 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: prod_196615R_360x360.jpg?m=1339271120]

Thanks to a Salt Lake City store,Tabula Rasa,now we can enjoy the Penhaligons fine fragrances,and also,some of their shaving creams,like this one,Endymion,and I did received a generous amount of it on a sample to try it out.

The ingredients of this cream,for what I did read on it box,are pretty similar to the Truefitt and Hill or Geo F. Trumper shaving creams,with parabens on their formulation.Its different than the Floris creams,which they use Aloe Vera (like Castle Forbes) among their ingredients.

I have used it today with good results.According to a good friend of mine from the spanish forum (Indesio),the Penhaligons shaving creams are between the Truefitt and Hill and Taylor of Old Bond Street,when we talk about skin care properties.For me,the Truefitt and Hill shaving creams with "complex" scents (1805,Trafalgar and Grafton) are a little bit behind in skin care properties than the ones with more "basic" scents (Lavender,Comfort,Rose or Almond),and I feel that this cream perform like the T&H with complex scents in this regard.

It has a good slickness,but nothing new here,since most of the shaving creams made for the great UK brands,have the same property.Its not the slickest one,but the sickness its there.

The scent,when its not my fav (that position is reserved to the Blenheim Bouquet),its nice.According to Penhaligons,its a mixture of citrus,spice and leather notes.The fragrance is not intense as others,however last during the shave and leaves the skin slightly scented after it.

Another good thing about this cream is that you dont need to much quantity to make lather for more than 3 razor passes.I was using the Simpson Classic 1 in best badger today and I did made a lot of lather with less than an almond size of cream (less than 1 ml for sure).

The 150ml tub cost 40 dollars,which I think its not that expensive when compared with the Truefitt and Hill,which cost 30 dollars for 190g of cream,but I need more amount of cream of the T&H to create the same lather.

Now,I will have to compare it with the Opus 1870 and see which one I like the most.

86 7,124
 06-09-2012, 03:10 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
Another great review my friend. I LOVE this cream.

While the BB scent is one of my absolute favorites, this one, is utterly divine. Its really mystical and enchanting, worthy of its name, and the price

9 541
 06-09-2012, 05:12 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
Thanks for the review.
I have a tube of the BB cream and it is wonderful. I've been wanting to get some Endymion since I have the EdT and find the scent intoxicating. Top drawer in my book!

52 788
 06-09-2012, 05:23 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Endymion is my absolute favourite Penhaligons fragrance. I haven't tried the shaving cream though. Thanks for the review Teiste!

91 17,875
 06-12-2012, 01:36 PM
User Info
Love Penhaligon's. A little frustrated by the holes in their product lines though. BB is the only line (as far as I can tell) that includes shaving soap, cream, balm, splash, and EdT (not to mention deodorant and talc). Really would like to see the same coverage in English Fern, Opus 1870, and Endymion

0 8
 01-03-2013, 03:51 PM
User Info
I'm currently using this as part of my "use it up" program, along with the Endymion balm, and wanted to chime in with my thoughts.

Performance: This is a high quality cream. I would rate this with T&H in the cream category. I've been quite happy here. The balm is also outstanding, and a little goes a long way.

Scent: Endymion has an amazing, unique smell. Just look at the Fragrantica page for the fragrance to get an idea of the complexity here. This holds true for both cream and balm; I haven't tried the EdT.

Value: Here is where Endymion fails IMHO. The cheapest I've found these products is the English Shaving Company, where it's ~$31 for each product before shipping. For US-based companies, expect to pay $40 and up. Both contain 150ml of product. I've found that I use about the same amount of Pen's cream as I've had to use for other English creams.

Granted, this is a premium product; however premium soaps like MdC are a bargain by comparion. Hard soaps last longer, and while Endymion does not come in soap form, there's a wide variety of excellent scents in soap form (Arlington for example.) You can even find premium creams that don't cost as much, like Trumpers.

The problem with premium shaving products (especially creams which tend to cost more than soaps per shave) is that the scent is gone as soon as you rinse your face. The aftershave can help a bit, but if you really like the fragrance - buy the fragrance. You can enjoy the smell for hours if not all day long, instead of for five minutes.

Summary: if you enjoy the scent of Endymion and are willing to pay the extra cost, this is absolutely worth it. I've enjoyed using Endymion. It's a pleasure to use, especially during winter. I do not think I would purchase it again however. I'd probably buy the balm before the cream again, since I don't use as much balm and the scent sticks with me after the shave.

12 1,243
 01-04-2013, 03:29 PM
User Info
(01-03-2013, 03:51 PM)insomniac Wrote: I'm currently using this as part of my "use it up" program, along with the Endymion balm, and wanted to chime in with my thoughts.

Performance: This is a high quality cream. I would rate this with T&H in the cream category. I've been quite happy here. The balm is also outstanding, and a little goes a long way.

Scent: Endymion has an amazing, unique smell. Just look at the Fragrantica page for the fragrance to get an idea of the complexity here. This holds true for both cream and balm; I haven't tried the EdT.

Value: Here is where Endymion fails IMHO. The cheapest I've found these products is the English Shaving Company, where it's ~$31 for each product before shipping. For US-based companies, expect to pay $40 and up. Both contain 150ml of product. I've found that I use about the same amount of Pen's cream as I've had to use for other English creams.

Granted, this is a premium product; however premium soaps like MdC are a bargain by comparion. Hard soaps last longer, and while Endymion does not come in soap form, there's a wide variety of excellent scents in soap form (Arlington for example.) You can even find premium creams that don't cost as much, like Trumpers.

The problem with premium shaving products (especially creams which tend to cost more than soaps per shave) is that the scent is gone as soon as you rinse your face. The aftershave can help a bit, but if you really like the fragrance - buy the fragrance. You can enjoy the smell for hours if not all day long, instead of for five minutes.

Summary: if you enjoy the scent of Endymion and are willing to pay the extra cost, this is absolutely worth it. I've enjoyed using Endymion. It's a pleasure to use, especially during winter. I do not think I would purchase it again however. I'd probably buy the balm before the cream again, since I don't use as much balm and the scent sticks with me after the shave.

Nice update !

I like mine a lot, as you especially during the winter time.
I often blend Endymion with CF Lavender for a very luxurious shave Cool

22 5,070
 01-05-2013, 01:12 AM
User Info
My wife gave me this cream for my birthday.
A great cream. I like the scent very much. So much so that I bought also the cologne Smile

17 908
 01-05-2013, 10:39 AM
User Info
(01-04-2013, 03:29 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Nice update !

I like mine a lot, as you especially during the winter time.
I often blend Endymion with CF Lavender for a very luxurious shave Cool

Thank you, Claus!

One additional note: during this period of trying to use a product until it's empty, most of the time I get tired of it about a month in. Maybe it's the scent or performance, or I just get bored.

That is not the case with Endymion. I've been using it for a month and even though I am a soap guy, I could keep on using this. (Though I think this is more of a 'cold weather' cream due to the fragrance.)

12 1,243
 01-05-2013, 11:49 AM
  • Leon
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
BB and Endymion are my favorite Penhaligon's scents. Lovely stuff.

While the creams are good, I can't say the same as the soaps. Terrible stuff.

4 313
 01-05-2013, 01:39 PM
User Info
(01-05-2013, 11:49 AM)Leon Wrote: BB and Endymion are my favorite Penhaligon's scents. Lovely stuff.

While the creams are good, I can't say the same as the soaps. Terrible stuff.
Totally agree, Bruno. I have had the unfortunate experience of both the Blenheim Bouquet and English Fern soaps. The latter was the lesser of two evils but Pen's would have to really pull something out of the bag to make me want to part again with what they ask for these abysmal soaps.

31 4,957