03-30-2015, 10:49 PM
User Info
Several of y'all here on the 'nook seems to thinks that the BiC Sensitive is pretty good razors for being plastic disposables... so when I spotted a bag over at our local tools / work clothes / household goods store for a little more than a bottle of soda, I had to pick it up. 

[Image: 2015-03-07%2B09.11.27.jpg]

I have been using one for a week, as some might have seen in my SOTD photos, and I'm still somewhat on the fence about what I think them. They are not horrible in the way that carts are for me, in other words no shave bumps and rashes, but they feel fairly flimsy and way too light... that is probably to be expected from disposables costing me next to nothing, but even that does mean I can't find a space for them in my den if they have a use.

[Image: 2015-03-27%2B05.27.23.jpg]

I'll give another one a go next time I'm travelling. If I don't like them for that use, at least I have a few free razors to hand out to the conscripts that shows up unshaven on Mondays and claims to have forgotten their razors at home...

3 4,684
 03-31-2015, 04:54 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Hans, I used those for many years as my travel razor.  I still do if I'm flying somewhere and just taking my carry on  bag.  Will it give you the same shave as a good DE, SE, or Straight, absolutely not, but it will give you a good enough shave to get you through the day.

If you need anymore let me know, I have 10 full bags of them. Smile

179 23,945
 03-31-2015, 05:44 AM
User Info
I didn't want to drop names in the OP, but it's primarily you who gave me the idea to try them Johnny  Wink

They shave pretty good, just feels too flimsy in my beefy hands. As mentioned I'll give them a go as travel razors, and if they don't feel right for that I got free razors to hand out  Tongue

3 4,684
 03-31-2015, 06:08 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Yes sir, I have bags and bags of razors. Smile

[Image: TPcFmCt.jpg]

179 23,945
 03-31-2015, 06:19 AM
User Info
Hans, before retirement I worked at a place where one could be called on to work in a non-oxygen containing environment, or one that was out and out poisonous. A really good seal between the mask and face was extremely important. I always kept a few on hand for the guys to use before donning their gear. It didn't happen often, but it did happen. *

They are everything you stated, cheap and flimsy, but they work.

*It'll take me a long time to forget the last time it happened that a coworker needed to shave... Clearly he'd never used gel before and I never thought to ask. He probably used as much gel as he would have used foam and the look on his face when he already had far too much lather on his face and still had far too much lather in his hand was priceless.

32 6,471
 03-31-2015, 06:52 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I too bought a bag after reading what Johnny had to say about them.  No to my liking, however.  They irritate my face no end, which is not something I experience with my daily razor, a Mach3, or my travel razor, a Sensor.  As is always the case YMWV.

7 937
 05-10-2015, 04:47 PM
User Info
Oh no.  Those bring back bad memories for me.  I've been in the hospital a few times in my life, and that's what they give you to shave with.  I remember getting a BIC, a basin of luke warm water, and a bar of soap for shaving cream.  The memories (it's been a long time) of sitting up in a bed balancing that bowl on a little tray, and trying to shave are, well let's just say "not luxurious."  And, I need not describe the end result.  YECH!

Give me jazz music, a hot towel to get started, a spectacular shaving soap, my Feather razor with a Feather or Bolzano or KAI blade, an ice cold water rinse afterward, tons of witch hazel (hey, it's cheap), a magnificent after shave...and, gentleman, THAT'S a shave.  

1 417
 05-10-2015, 05:45 PM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
Oh god... Please burn'em =P

4 447
 05-10-2015, 07:50 PM
User Info
There's a razor Gillette makes for the India market called the Gillette Guard. If you ever want to try a decent disposable, I'd recommend that one in addition to the ones you picked up

41 395
 05-11-2015, 07:34 AM
User Info
These BiCs are a good example of minimalism. They have taken away everything that is not absolutely necessary for shaving. I prefer the BiC METAL disposables, but they seem unavailable now in north America. I bought 50 on eBay and, should I manage to use those up, I will try to get more.
If, however, they really do become unobtainium, I would certainly use the BiCs we're talking about here.

I usually travel with a checked bag these days, so a TSA compliant razor is not an issue, but flying carry-on will always find me sporting a BiC METAL (if possible) or whatever single blade disposable I can find. In the absence of single blade, I would opt for the Schick ST2 disposables -- twin blades, but still a good shaver IMO.
Euro

5 395
 05-11-2015, 08:47 AM
User Info
I don't recall if the BiCs I used to "borrow" from my dad were of the Sensitive variety (they looked similar to what's pictured above), but I did not care for them.  They were very tuggy, not unlike the BiC DE blades I tried a little while ago. They're passable, but not great for me.

0 1,099
 05-11-2015, 03:41 PM
User Info
I'm using a couple of the Orange Bics during a short trip where I didn't check my bag. As long as I have a brush and some good soap or cream I can get a pretty good shave. This trip its a Rooney/M&F 2/1, a couple of samples- Edwin Jagger cream and LASS fougere, and a sample of Country Club sweet water as....and a tube of Simpson's balm. With the Bics it takes many more strokes to get a close shave.
It's not near as fun as my DEs but it gets the job done. I still look forward to my shave.
I've actually mailed blades ahead so I don't have to check a bag but can bring a nice DE along.
Are we nuts?

10 1,708
 05-13-2015, 03:09 PM
User Info
Not nuts -- just clever.
Euro

5 395
 05-14-2015, 07:03 AM
User Info
Bic Metal is much better than the Orange razor. It's my razor of choice for travelling!

0 53
 05-14-2015, 07:17 AM
User Info
I used a Gillette Guard the last time I had to make a trip. Also too light, but otherwise it's a pretty darn good shaver.

9 112