06-09-2012, 12:49 PM
User Info
Ok, here goes. I ordered this brush a little over a week ago from Shaving.ie. The euro exchange rate being what it is, and being on the east coast, it was a real deal, even though I had to wait a little. Opening my mailbox this morning, I was excited to see a smallish brown box with all of the labelling on it of a package that had gone through customs.

Upon opening the package, my new brush was well packaged in bubble wrap, in it's clear plastic box. I unwrapped it, removed the beauty from the packaging, and inspected it.

The 830 is a nice looking brush with a handle that is half red, half clear. The Semogue sticker looked like it has a bubble or two underneath, but looks in pretty good shape.

I took a whiff of the brush and was surprised to note very little "boar funk".

I decided to go ahead and lather it up to see how it did. I put the brush in to soak in hot water and got in the shower. I had about a two day growth, and went through my normal prep routine.

I removed the brush from the water, and gave it a shake. Then I proceeded to lather up come Provence Sante Green Tea soap. I stopped twice to add a few drops of water, and ended up with enough thick lather for 4+ passes. And this was probably some of the best lather I have been able to build, but with very little effort. I always build right on the puck in the mug with soaps, and the consistency of the lather was great!! I was amazed at how soft the tips were, right out of the box. That said, the brush has good backbone as well. I did three passes with some touch-up, and ended with a great shave pretty darn close to BBS.

So final first impressions. I really like this brush, good backbone, soft tips, comfortable handle. This is my first boar so I wasn't sure what to expect, but if it continues to get softer....wow. Anyone have any tips on taking care of the sticker? I tried to avoid putting my fingers on that side of the handle, but was only partially successful.

1 69
 06-09-2012, 01:55 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Stickers come and stickers go, but the quality brush endures for a very, very long time. Enjoy the 830. They are excellent brushes.

173 23,535
 06-09-2012, 02:25 PM
User Info
The 830 is one of my favourites.

My sticker is still perfect 18 months on so don't worry, they are very durable.

7 1,179
 06-09-2012, 03:20 PM
User Info
The 830 is my favorite brush. I haven't been all that careful with the sticker either. still looks like new. I was surprised just how soft this brush is right out of the box and it only gets softer. Because of this brush I'm a Semogue fan for life. The other strange thing about this brush is it shares the same knot as the 1305 but with 10% more hair. But the two don't feel anything alike to me the 830 is the softer of the two brushes.

2 805
 06-09-2012, 03:39 PM
User Info
I do have one question though for those of you that have the 830.

I thought I would use my existing stand that I received with my VdH pure badger, wrong answer, too big. Anyone recommend a brush stand that the 830 will fit in? I would rather not order one from Vintage Scent if I can avoid it...

1 69
 06-09-2012, 03:53 PM
User Info
Mine fits in the brush holder I bought from AOS.

2 805
 06-09-2012, 03:54 PM
User Info
(06-09-2012, 03:39 PM)Russianrat Wrote: I do have one question though for those of you that have the 830.

I thought I would use my existing stand that I received with my VdH pure badger, wrong answer, too big. Anyone recommend a brush stand that the 830 will fit in? I would rather not order one from Vintage Scent if I can avoid it...

Brush stands are unnecessary IME & I didn't even know that they came in different sizes. Are you using it to dry the brush or just more convenient for storing?

31 7,914
 06-09-2012, 04:09 PM
User Info
I just always read that hanging them upside down to dry was preferable as it gets the water out of the knot. I cycle my brushes through the one I have, but the cutout for the handle is too big for my 830.

1 69
 06-09-2012, 04:16 PM
User Info
(06-09-2012, 04:09 PM)Russianrat Wrote: I just always read that hanging them upside down to dry was preferable as it gets the water out of the knot. I cycle my brushes through the one I have, but the cutout for the handle is too big for my 830.

Not necessary. The handles are made for them to stand upright. Just leave it out where air can circulate around it. To really dry it quickly just sit it in front of a fan. Never put a damp brush in a closed space, like a cabinet, though.

31 7,914
 06-09-2012, 04:46 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
This brush stand from Phil (BullGoose) fits every Semogue brush I have. I use it for drying the brushes.

http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/om226brandra.html

173 23,535
 06-09-2012, 05:24 PM
User Info
(06-09-2012, 03:39 PM)Russianrat Wrote: I do have one question though for those of you that have the 830.

Mine doesn't fit my stands well either. I'll have to find something a little more dedicated should I continue to use my 830.

0 145
 06-09-2012, 11:17 PM
User Info
You don't need a stand, water will evaporate at the same rate no matter which way your brush is.

The best thing to do is once you've rinsed the brush, a light shake while gripping the knot, then some light brushes against a towel and it's almost dry.

7 1,179
 06-10-2012, 06:45 AM
User Info
(06-09-2012, 11:17 PM)Dipesh Wrote: You don't need a stand, water will evaporate at the same rate no matter which way your brush is.

The best thing to do is once you've rinsed the brush, a light shake while gripping the knot, then some light brushes against a towel and it's almost dry.

I agree. I've never used a brush stand with any of my badger hair or boar bristle brushes. They dry just fine standing on the handle.

0 1,377
 06-10-2012, 07:16 AM
User Info
(06-10-2012, 06:45 AM)wknicholas Wrote:
(06-09-2012, 11:17 PM)Dipesh Wrote: You don't need a stand, water will evaporate at the same rate no matter which way your brush is.

I agree. I've never used a brush stand with any of my badger hair or boar bristle brushes. They dry just fine standing on the handle.

Moisture evaporates upwards anyway. I do use a stand, but I've also stood my brushes on their handles to dry and I've never had a problem.

Clayton

6 617
 06-10-2012, 08:20 AM
User Info
The only thing I could think that hanging would help is keeping more water from settling in the base of the knot right after shaving. While the brush is drying the tips dry faster because they are exposed to more air flow and that wicking would draw the moisture from the base of the knot. Either way it will dry fine. Personal perference.

2 805
 06-10-2012, 08:29 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Take two small cups and put just a small amount of water in them. Just a few drops will do. Now, turn one of the cups upside down and let me know which one dries faster.

173 23,535