03-31-2015, 10:09 PM
User Info
 Just got back from 10 days in Poland (Krakow, Warsaw, and Gdansk) and 4 in London. I've traveled internationally quite a bit over the years, but always took an electric (twice needing to track down a charger from a shop somewhere).  After starting to use a DE about 4 months ago, I decided to try wet shaving this trip.  Struggled to decide what to bring (gel? soap? brush? brushless?)  Finally decided to put together a kit that would be the least hassle but still good.  So I bought & packed 5 Bic Sensitive disposables (didn't want to have something happen to my ATT or EJ), my Plisson synthetic by L'Occitane (relatively cheap and dries quickly), and a tube of TOBS Jermyn Street cream that I bought from Sierra Outfitters for $5.95. 
    Things worked out fine.  I knew I wouldn't be able to take the time I take a home in the mornings, and the Bics let me get a worry free, pretty good shave.  I usually did a 3 pass shave, but if I were as reckless with my DE, I would have taken out a few chunks of skin, especially with jet lag.  As it was, two small weepers on day 13 were the only blood I drew! On the two days I had to make early morning flights, I avoided having to rush and also a wet brush by shaving the  night before.  My shaves were good, but not up to my normal ones (including the first one back).  There was just no facerbation factor, I guess a combination of the properties of the TOBS and the hair left behind by the BIC.  I didn't use the Jermyn Street one day.  That was the day I was on Jermyn St. in London and bought a tube of St. James cream at the Taylor store that they were closing out for 3.95 pounds (about $6) that I couldn't turn down and had to try the next day.
    Anyway, the wet shaving was a success. The TOBS was easy to lather, produced a decent shave, and the brush was completely dry within a few hours.  Glad I tried this. I'll do it again.  My only problem was that I kept forgetting that the Bics have an hollow, open handle, and when I'd rinse them, I would then drip water down my arm and onto the floor! I'm surprised it took me as long as it did to figure that one out and correct my swishing.

4 100
 04-01-2015, 03:47 AM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
Sounds great! I recently went on a trip myself and had a setup like that as well. Except I bought a tube of Vicco SC for like $0.50 in India. Checking in your luggage helps that much so we can wetshave!

10 963
 04-01-2015, 05:57 AM
User Info
Yes, I forgot to mention that I packed my kit in my checked luggage to avoid TSA hassles. 

Also, I checked and the TOBS St. James was only 3.00 (about $4.50), so it was even cheaper.  I also bought a small tub of TOBS Jermyn Street moisturizing cream that was on sale for 9.95 pounds to deal with some chapped and dry skin.  See my photo.[Image: Zn0raQc.jpg]

4 100
 04-01-2015, 06:21 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I would love to make a trip like that but finances will never let that happen.

175 23,752
 04-01-2015, 07:59 AM
User Info
I hope you enjoyed your trip and welcome back!  Smile

82 21,056
 04-07-2015, 06:19 PM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
You did well. It's worth it to me to have a wet shaving "Go Bag" for travel. A great idea from the guys was to get one of the vintage Schick injectors for travel. Gotta say when you couple that with a synth brush and a tub of soap ( Cella for my bag) it makes for a pleasant start to the day

19 727
 04-09-2015, 07:37 AM
User Info
I have had the same dilemma myself; if I'm checking a bag there's no worries. My DE and blades are OK. If I'm NOT checking a bag I will use the BiC disposables too.

Next time I fly carry-on, I think I might take an expendable DE razor, along with one or two unopened blades. If the security stops me, I will lose a couple of blades, but it will be interesting to see if they notice. I had a friend who flew back and forth between Seattle and Chicago several times with a single-blade box cutter he'd forgotten  was in his carry-on bag. The TSA either didn't detect it, or ignored it, because when he finally un-packed, he was horrified to discover that he'd un-knowingly been flying with the very "weapon" that had been used by the 911 terrorists!

Having just read what I've written, maybe I'll have to re-consider this sneak it through plan. As a friend of mine is fond of saying, "Better think twice at least once more."
Euro

5 395
 04-11-2015, 04:01 AM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
A few times I had packed my double edge with blades in my bag, and was stopped. 

19 727
 04-11-2015, 08:40 AM
User Info
Sounds like a good trip Gary. I usually take the Plisson synthetic on trips. Great brush on its own but perfect for travel. We did a two week trip to Alaska last summer with multiple overnight stops. Never really had to worry that the Plisson would not be dry enough to pack away. I try to be a minalmist when traveling but it's hard to leave all that good stuff behind.

44 486
 04-11-2015, 04:39 PM
User Info
As someone who put up with the crummy shaves I was getting from an electric for many years, taking along some wet shaving stuff was great.  As pointed out, the synthetic brush was great because it dried so quickly, and the TOBS and disposables also allowed quick, but good shaves.  Key for me was packing it in my checked bags.  I didn't have to add another potential hassle to the TSA line.

4 100
 04-19-2015, 01:59 PM
User Info
I was packing today for a 4day trip to Memphis. I'm checking my bag and my kit keeps expanding. I'm up to 3 straight razors, 2 brushes 2 full sized soaps and a bunch of samples I was thinking I could use up on the trip. I keep adding 'just one more thing' since its small, I might need it and to be honest I have room since it  just a business trip. Anyone else have a problem with over packing for a trip?  

4 105
 04-19-2015, 05:35 PM
User Info
Yeah... My TSA-approved Ziploc would barely close. Same with my suitcase.

I took a brush and some soaps, but razor-wise, I had to settle for a twin-blade disposable. The end result was quite uncomfortable to say the least. It felt like I was pulling hairs rather than cutting them.

0 1,055