sealed in a zip lock bag ?

open air on the counter or shelf ?

stashed in drawer ?

7 243
 03-05-2012, 08:23 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(03-05-2012, 12:54 AM)iKon Wrote: for those choice brushes that are not seeing use ,

Open air on the counter or shelf...

23 1,872
 03-05-2012, 09:03 AM
User Info
(03-05-2012, 12:54 AM)iKon Wrote: ...for those choice brushes that are not seeing use...

I would not store them on counter or shelf since I have forced air heating = more dust. I would worry the brush would clog with dust after a long time.
If I only had your choices I would go with the drawer since there will be some air and away from dust.
IMHO, the best would be a cabinet shelf with a closed door, or on a shelf inside the linen closet with louvered doors...

7 358
 03-05-2012, 09:14 AM
  • kasey
  • Utah
User Info
On a related note, do you recommend using a stand or no stand? There is some debate over whether upside down drying has an impact or not.

0 33
 03-05-2012, 11:10 AM
User Info
I think a closed bag or other container would only be good for a thoroughly dry brush that is not being used at all. If a brush is being used, it should be stored in an area with air circulation to promote drying. If dust is a concern, the air system could be cleaned professionally or a room air cleaner could be used, or as suggested, just store the brush in a cabinet with louvered doors. I'm not convinced that brush stands that hold the brush inverted are really necessary (and Gary Young has stated that Simpson brushes dry just fine without being on a stand), but I always use one for a couple days after a brush has been used, just to play it safe. Why take a chance....

183 12,002
 03-05-2012, 12:36 PM
  • river1
  • Coastal South Carolina
User Info
+1. Very good advice from John

11 303
 03-11-2012, 09:15 AM
User Info
I store/display my brushes on a shelf in the bathroom. The brush that was used for the morning shave stays beside the sink until the next morning when I choose the brush for that day. The wet brush may sit upright or hang from a brush holder if it will fit the holder. I do not have concern that the brush will dry better in one position versus another. I recall reading an article or posting about the best method (hang vs. stand) for a wet brush where the author measured the moisture remaining in the brush over time. The author's research gave a slight advantage to standing.

I do not place a brush that I believe to be damp or wet in a closed or air tight bag or tube. I want the brush to have dried completely before storing in a closed tube or plastic container.

29 1,731
 03-11-2012, 09:50 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I store all of my rotation brushes in the open air standing on their handle. If the brush is going into long-term storage, I would place it back in the box that it came in and then the box would go in a drawer. Of course the brush would have to be completely dry before being placed into the box.

Brush stands are more for looks than anything. If you like them or if they help organize your shelf, then by all means use one. That said, they will not help the longevity of the brush at all and an ill fitting stand can actually damage the knot.

45 16,292
 03-11-2012, 11:50 AM
User Info
The brushes I use simply stand upright on the bathroom window ledge. Those that I don't use are upright in a shoe box on a closest shelf, hiding from the wifey. Biggrin

2 546
 03-11-2012, 12:14 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(03-11-2012, 11:50 AM)PanchoVilla Wrote: The brushes I use simply stand upright on the bathroom window ledge. Those that I don't use are upright in a shoe box on a closest shelf, hiding from the wifey. Biggrin

And why do I suspect that Mrs. Flyover Country knows all about that little trick? Laughing1

2 11,211
 03-11-2012, 12:14 PM
  • kav
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
If you store the brush invest in a few small dessicant packs- the one we are told not to eatDodgy
Something I've never seen mentioned for collections is MUSEUM WAX available at most hardware stores. I used it during my brief curator days at the Southwest Museum. It became VERY popular after the Northridge earthquake. It is great for securing objects and is easilly dislodged when needed.

2 3,169
 03-11-2012, 01:13 PM
User Info
(03-11-2012, 12:14 PM)freddy Wrote:
(03-11-2012, 11:50 AM)PanchoVilla Wrote: The brushes I use simply stand upright on the bathroom window ledge. Those that I don't use are upright in a shoe box on a closest shelf, hiding from the wifey. Biggrin

And why do I suspect that Mrs. Flyover Country knows all about that little trick? Laughing1

Rolleyes

2 546
 03-11-2012, 04:09 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
If they aren't being used, its best to keep them away from light and humidity. Preferably covered so they don't collect any dust either

9 541
 03-11-2012, 06:13 PM
User Info
Being obsessively anal about keeping things in proper places, I use these http://www.containerstore.com/shop/kitch...3938&N=183 (specifically the $3.99 ones at the top) for all my DE storage. One will hold 100 blades, or one or two razors, or one brush. The bamboo is perfect for storing a dry brush, as bamboo is naturally anti-bacterial. Just make sure it is not the top box and so it remains covered and protected.

The anal side of me of course has the various boxes labeled with black on clear P-Touch labels telling me what is in each box. (i.e. Kai blades, Personna Blades, TAOS Pure Badger etc.). They really are the perfect solution for storage IMO. Very versatile and they look great on a shelf.

129 6,685
 03-12-2012, 08:10 AM
User Info
Kav,

I would be concerned about storing brushes with bone, ivory or wood handles in the dessicant packs; as it has always been an issue with straight razor scales of the same material. I keep mine out to dry, then transfer unused and dry brushes to a basket I have in the storage closet. Seems to work for me.

(03-11-2012, 12:14 PM)kav Wrote: If you store the brush invest in a few small dessicant packs- the one we are told not to eatDodgy
Something I've never seen mentioned for collections is MUSEUM WAX available at most hardware stores. I used it during my brief curator days at the Southwest Museum. It became VERY popular after the Northridge earthquake. It is great for securing objects and is easilly dislodged when needed.

0 37