06-09-2012, 01:47 PM
User Info
First post here and, actually, I never thought I would post because I honestly never thought I could add something. I am not even sure this post does... Regardless...

I am a "traditional" wetshaver since last spring. I am a face-latherer and my go-to brush is the Sem. 620 (I like backbone). When buying a razor from our esteemed member Dave, we exchanged PMs and started to talk about razors, brushes, etc. Without knowing me personally, he generously offered to send me his Muhle Silvertip Fibres brush to test. I think it is the 21mm knot. Thanks Dave!!

After giving the brush a test lather in a bowl yesterday, I took it to my face this morning. After the usual shower, I soaked the brush for 30-60 seconds (based on my previous readings), rubbed a Palmolive stick over my face, and went to work. Overall, the brush performed very well. Compared to other brushes I’ve tried, the Silvertip Fibres has very little splay. As a result, when mixing the soap on my face, I have to apply more pressure than I am used to. But due to the very soft tips of the brush, it was not unpleasant, just unusual for me. As other reviewers of the brush have noted, the Fibres are “springy,” which gives the brush some good backbone.

The brush holds tons of lather. I did a 3-pass shave and had soft left for at least another 2 passes. Also, after cleaning the brush, it dried within minutes. Wow!! When mixing the soap on my face, I noticed that some tiny snowflake-like pieces of lather “flew” around. Not many, just a few. Obviously, I need more practice to understand the brush’s “behavior” better, but that’s the fun part of trying new things. Tomorrow, I think I’ll try the brush with Cella (i.e., no stick, still face-lathering).

3 17
 06-09-2012, 01:49 PM
User Info
(06-09-2012, 01:47 PM)hobbes Wrote: First post here and, actually, I never thought I would post because I honestly never thought I could add something. I am not even sure this post does... Regardless...

I am a "traditional" wetshaver since last spring. I am a face-latherer and my go-to brush is the Sem. 620 (I like backbone). When buying a razor from our esteemed member Dave, we exchanged PMs and started to talk about razors, brushes, etc. Without knowing me personally, he generously offered to send me his Muhle Silvertip Fibres brush to test. I think it is the 21mm knot. Thanks Dave!!

After giving the brush a test lather in a bowl yesterday, I took it to my face this morning. After the usual shower, I soaked the brush for 30-60 seconds (based on my previous readings), rubbed a Palmolive stick over my face, and went to work. Overall, the brush performed very well. Compared to other brushes I’ve tried, the Silvertip Fibres has very little splay. As a result, when mixing the soap on my face, I have to apply more pressure than I am used to. But due to the very soft tips of the brush, it was not unpleasant, just unusual for me. As other reviewers of the brush have noted, the Fibres are “springy,” which gives the brush some good backbone.

The brush holds tons of lather. I did a 3-pass shave and had soft left for at least another 2 passes. Also, after cleaning the brush, it dried within minutes. Wow!! When mixing the soap on my face, I noticed that some tiny snowflake-like pieces of lather “flew” around. Not many, just a few. Obviously, I need more practice to understand the brush’s “behavior” better, but that’s the fun part of trying new things. Tomorrow, I think I’ll try the brush with Cella (i.e., no stick, still face-lathering).

Welcome to the brave new world of synthetics. You will find that they have improved dramatically in the past couple of years.

1 2,827
 06-09-2012, 05:31 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
The 21 mm sivertip fibres is an outstanding shaving brush.I like it really much.
As Gary said,welcome to the new wonderful synthetic fibres world.

86 7,123
 06-09-2012, 05:35 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Welcome to TSN and thanks for sharing your synthetic experiences!

91 17,874
 06-10-2012, 10:46 AM
User Info
(06-09-2012, 01:49 PM)GDCarrington Wrote:
(06-09-2012, 01:47 PM)hobbes Wrote: First post here and, actually, I never thought I would post because I honestly never thought I could add something. I am not even sure this post does... Regardless...

Welcome to the brave new world of synthetics. You will find that they have improved dramatically in the past couple of years.

Thanks. Last year when I started the traditional route of wetshaving, I tried the synthetic brush from the body shop. It was a disaster. Threw it away immediately. Then, I bought the VDH badger. After one week, it was relegated to a new "job:" dusting of my laptop and PC keyboard.

(06-09-2012, 05:31 PM)Teiste Wrote: The 21 mm sivertip fibres is an outstanding shaving brush.I like it really much.
As Gary said,welcome to the new wonderful synthetic fibres world.

Thanks Teiste. Your initial review sparked my interest.

Sorry about Spain. Still a draw but I thought they would win. But I was puzzled how they started without a real striker.

(06-09-2012, 05:35 PM)ben74 Wrote: Welcome to TSN and thanks for sharing your synthetic experiences!

Thanks! More to come. Today, I had a rough start; no time for shaving. Then, I watched the Spain-Italy game (EURO 2012). I will go at it this evening or tomorrow and post my impressions. I do not want to rush to conclusions after 2-3 test lathers in a bowl and one "real" face lather. But so far, my impressions are very positive.

3 17
 06-10-2012, 04:14 PM
User Info
Second shave with the Muhle Silvertip Fibres. I could not wait until for tomorrow morning; I needed 30 minutes of “zen” this evening. As with the first shave, I used my Slant and an Astra SP. Contrary to the first shave, I did not shower before the shave but used the wet towel method to soften the beard. Also, I used Cella instead of the Palmolive stick.

After loading the brush, I put it to my face. As before, I had to press a little harder to get the knot (i.e., fibres) to splay in order to get a good mix (but the soft tips do not make this uncomfortable). As before, while creating the lather on my face, little snowflake-like pieces of lather were “flying” of the brush. I have to investigate this issue; maybe I need to change something. Anybody has any ideas?

I did my usual 3 pass shave and the brush performed amazingly. It is truly remarkable how quickly the brush creates a nice and creamy lather. I do not know exactly how long it usually takes me to get a good lather going, but I have the feeling that this brush creates lather more quickly than any of my other brushes. Also, I think I had enough lather in the brush for another 3 passes, at least. I need to adjust my loading time (old habits are hard to break). The preliminary verdict, as after the first shave, is very good.

My next shave will, most likely be with Tabac. I anticipate another very good performance. Again, thanks a bunch to Dave for letting my try this brush!

3 17
 06-11-2012, 10:47 AM
User Info
I was given a Shea moisture brush quite awhile ago and it would spray until lather began to form. Once it bagan forming the brush behaved. Go slow until the point at which lather begins to develop. I'm not talking a long time here, it's just a few swirls.

I found it annoying and life is too long to tolerate that nonsense, so I wound up giving the brush to a bowl latherer. No problem with spraying the bathroom in a bowl.

32 6,311
 06-12-2012, 04:40 PM
User Info
(06-11-2012, 10:47 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I was given a Shea moisture brush quite awhile ago and it would spray until lather began to form. Once it bagan forming the brush behaved. Go slow until the point at which lather begins to develop. I'm not talking a long time here, it's just a few swirls.

I found it annoying and life is too long to tolerate that nonsense, so I wound up giving the brush to a bowl latherer. No problem with spraying the bathroom in a bowl.

Thanks for the tip! I'll try to incorporate this advice. But overall, I have to say that the Muehle Silvertip Fibres performs really well.

I was "on the road" for two days and took the Muehle with me. In the hotel, I used a Palmolive stick (as with the first shave). I have to say the brush performed again very well. It is really not comparable with the Body Shop synthetic I used for a few shaves last spring.

The quickness by which it develops the lather is exceptional. Also, the time it takes the brush to dry is amazing. This leads me to my question: Does anybody have any experience with the Silvertip Fibres travel brushes from Muehle? When traveling, the ability for the brush to dry quickly in the morning is a definite plus, particularly if one leaves the hotel shortly after shaving. The quickness by which it whips up the lather is also amazing. The only annoyance are these little soap pieces that fly of the brush during the initial lather-building process. I will try to follow ShadowsDad's advice and see what happens.

I have been in cities where the water in the hotel was very hard, which has led on occasions to a below-average lather for me (I just do not have the time and patience to go slowly and take my time when I need to get to a meeting). With this brush, it was no problem. I wonder why (either the water in the hotel was OK for me or the Fibres behave a little different with hard water)?

Any info on the travel version would be appreciated.

3 17
 06-12-2012, 06:50 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Im glad to know this brush is working really well for you.I used it today with new Proraso shaving soap,and the lather was even slicker than when I did used the Simpson Classic 1.
To me,this is a great brush.

86 7,123
 06-13-2012, 05:33 PM
User Info
(06-12-2012, 06:50 PM)Teiste Wrote: Im glad to know this brush is working really well for you.I used it today with new Proraso shaving soap,and the lather was even slicker than when I did used the Simpson Classic 1.
To me,this is a great brush.

Teiste, I completely agree: This is an excellent brush! Today morning, I had another fine shave using the Muehle brush. I tried to start a little slower with the lather-building process on my face (I used Cella; have probably 2 shaves left with that soap). But I haven’t mastered the slower lathering process at the start as the lather once again developed very quickly and the little soap pieces were flying of the brush.

Regardless, this is an excellent brush, particularly at the price point, no question about it!

3 17
 06-13-2012, 08:24 PM
User Info
Hobbes, congratulations on shaving with the new synthetic brush and continued great lathers.

75 20,883
 06-14-2012, 02:15 PM
User Info
This is on my next purchase list. Would love one for travels since I keep hearing it dries so quickly

0 29
 06-14-2012, 03:16 PM
User Info
Thank you for your insights on this.
I have to try one of those synthetics in the near future. Smile

2 5,532
 06-14-2012, 03:25 PM
User Info
I hope my post office will get it together so I can try my Muhle Silvertip Fibre before next week. Stinking forwarded mail!

31 7,914
 06-14-2012, 07:38 PM
User Info
Another good shave with the Muehle this morning. I have used the brush almost a week and will have to ship is back shortly to Dave. I have used Cella once again. Contrary to many others, I don’t like to switch soaps a lot. Also, the Cella is almost done and it is a good feeling getting to the bottom of a soap. It gives me some sense of accomplishment. I used an OCMM (first time) and got a fantastic shave.

I know, I am probably repeating myself, but the brush performs exceptionally. I prefer brushes with a strong backbone and the 21mm Silvertip Fibres fits the bill. As stated before, one of my favorite brushes is the Sem. 620, which is known for its backbone and very soft tips once broken in (which takes a bit of time). The Muehle feels a little different on the face. The Fibres have been described previously as being “springy.” I do not have a better word, but the important part is that this characteristic gives the knot a feel that is very similar to a good backbone of a knot made out of natural hair. The tips of the Muehle are also soft. You feel the tips but, for me, it is pleasant (i.e., not scratchy or anything like that); it gives me a feeling that I am actually creating lather.

As mentioned before, the brush is incredibly fast in whipping up a nice and creamy lather. All you have to do is press it a bit harder against your face than with a natural hair brush. You need to press down more so that the Fibres splay and you can develop the lather in the breach of the knot. Again, the face-feel is nice, in my opinion. The only somewhat annoying characteristic are the little pieces of soap flying of the brush during the first 20 seconds or so in the lather-building process.

Bottom line: I will get one of these brushes. I think they make an almost perfect travel brush, particularly due to the very short drying process and the fact that the cleaning process after the shave seems also faster. To me, it feels as if it is substantially easier to rinse the brush; to make sure that it is free of soap residue before drying. The only decision I will have to make is whether to get the “normal” 21mm knot version or the travel version, which has also a 21mm knot but a shorter loft, I think.

3 17
 06-26-2012, 07:33 PM
User Info
Today, I received two of the Muehle Silvertip Fibre brushes, the 21mm KOSMOS and the travel version. The KOSMOS has the same knot as the brush I used previously (and described my experience above) but a different handle. This evening, I used the travel version (brushed aluminum). Both brushes have the same knot size (21mm) but the travel version has a slightly shorter loft (48mm vs. 52mm, according to http://connaughtshaving.com/31m530.html). From looking at the brushes, I can confirm that the travel version's loft is a few mm shorter.

So, this evening I used the brush to shave. After using Cella and the Palmolive stick exclusively during my initial test period 2 weeks ago (I wanted to finish Cella), I have used Tabac for the past week or so. It is one of my three favorites (Tabac, Palmolive stick, Speick stick). Anyways, I "cleaned" the brush via two test lathers and started face lathering.

All I can say is that I think I like the travel version even better than the “normal” version. The shorter loft is just more conducive to my lathering habit and ability. This brush lets me whip up a nice and creamy lather in mo time and the face feel is outstanding. Although some people do not like the face feel of the soft fibre/stiff backbone combination (see http://shavenook.com/thread-muhle-synthe...ng-opinion; but this view may pertain to the back fire brush), I love it. Due to the shorter loft, when compared to the “normal” version, the face feel is even better (for me, obviously).

The integrated travel tube is very nice, very German-like (high level of design ingenuity and yet very simple; beautiful). I think I might be “in love.” However, I will have to wait a week or so, maybe things change after a couple of uses.

3 17
 06-29-2012, 10:12 PM
User Info
Quote: Bottom line: I will get one of these brushes. I think they make an almost perfect travel brush, particularly due to the very short drying process and the fact that the cleaning process after the shave seems also faster. To me, it feels as if it is substantially easier to rinse the brush; to make sure that it is free of soap residue before drying. The only decision I will have to make is whether to get the “normal” 21mm knot version or the travel version, which has also a 21mm knot but a shorter loft, I think.

Hey Smile

Nice to read your review - I have a Mühle Stylo Thuja brush in 21 mm Silvertip fibers coming my way and originally planned to use it for when I use shaving gels, since the brush is synthetic and the gel will not clog up or ruin the brush, as it would have done with a traditional badger brush.

I own 7 badger hair brushes, which range from Super 3-Band Simpsons, to 2-Band Simpsons to Silvertip 3-Band Kent and Mühle - but with these reviews I consider getting an extra Mühle Silvertip Fibre brush - but since I already am getting the 21 mm Stylo Thuja wood in Silvertip Fibres, should I then opt for the 23 mm Silvertip Fibre or the bigger 25 mm version ?

I face lather 50% of the time and scuttle lather 50% of the time - when using creams.
What would you go for, others feel free to chime in please Lightbulb

22 5,064
 06-29-2012, 10:20 PM
User Info
Try a Black Fibre knot for your creams & scuttle lathering. For me, it's also great for face lathering.

31 7,914
 06-30-2012, 10:31 AM
User Info
(06-29-2012, 10:12 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Hey Smile

Nice to read your review - I have a Mühle Stylo Thuja brush in 21 mm Silvertip fibers coming my way and originally planned to use it for when I use shaving gels, since the brush is synthetic and the gel will not clog up or ruin the brush, as it would have done with a traditional badger brush.

I own 7 badger hair brushes, which range from Super 3-Band Simpsons, to 2-Band Simpsons to Silvertip 3-Band Kent and Mühle - but with these reviews I consider getting an extra Mühle Silvertip Fibre brush - but since I already am getting the 21 mm Stylo Thuja wood in Silvertip Fibres, should I then opt for the 23 mm Silvertip Fibre or the bigger 25 mm version ?

I face lather 50% of the time and scuttle lather 50% of the time - when using creams.

I rarely bowl lather and like a somewhat "stiff knot." I also travel once in a while. For me, the travel version with the 48mm loft is ideal.

I've only used the 21mm knot versions. Thus, I cannot give you a solid opinion on the other knot versions. Before deciding on whether to get the 23mm or the 25mm knot version, I would wait until you get your 21mm knot Stylo Thuja wood brush. Use it for a week or so, see how you like the feeling on your face, maybe use some soap or cream instead of only gel and see how you like it. Make your decision based on your experience.

PS: The Stylo Thuja wood brush looks beautiful! (and I love Copenhagen :-)

3 17
 07-04-2012, 12:07 PM
User Info
(06-30-2012, 10:31 AM)hobbes Wrote:
(06-29-2012, 10:12 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Hey Smile

I rarely bowl lather and like a somewhat "stiff knot." I also travel once in a while. For me, the travel version with the 48mm loft is ideal.

I've only used the 21mm knot versions. Thus, I cannot give you a solid opinion on the other knot versions. Before deciding on whether to get the 23mm or the 25mm knot version, I would wait until you get your 21mm knot Stylo Thuja wood brush. Use it for a week or so, see how you like the feeling on your face, maybe use some soap or cream instead of only gel and see how you like it. Make your decision based on your experience.

PS: The Stylo Thuja wood brush looks beautiful! (and I love Copenhagen :-)

Couldn't help it - ordered both the Mühle Thuja Silvertip Fibre in 21 mm and the ivory beige Mühle Silvertip Fibre in 25 mm - I suffer from SBAD at the moment Smile

Yeahh the Stylo Thuja set is a work of art:
[Image: 2dh8948.png]

Will get the set tomorrow.......

When have you visited Copenhagen btw ?
Where are you from ?

22 5,064