04-01-2015, 03:13 PM
User Info
I was excited to see D. R. Harris release a new scent for their shaving soap line. In the interest of disclosure, I did get a free sample from them when it first came out. But I subsequently purchased a puck with the bowl on my own. As I have other Harris shaving soaps, I wasn't surprised that the performance was excellent. On the first whiff, something about the scent reminded me of Penhaligon's English Fern. The more I thought about it, I could see the connection to the Harris Sandalwood AS, though it'd been awhile and the soap seemed far more muted and less sweet, which was good for me. This morning, I zoned out a bit while lathering and thought to myself, "I sure do enjoy English Fern." And then I remembered, it was in fact Harris' Sandalwood. I'm curious, does anyone else notice a similarity between the two, especially the EF shaving soap in terms of scent?

0 7
 04-01-2015, 04:12 PM
User Info
Watching with great interest!!!  Thought it would smell like D.R. Harris' Sandalwood Aftershave which, to me, is a heavier version of TOBS Sandalwood.  If it smells otherwise, it will be of super great interest!

3 543
 04-01-2015, 06:03 PM
  • Nero
  • Saving Through Spending More
  • le montagne
User Info
(04-01-2015, 03:13 PM)BlueEyedSon Wrote: "Penhaligon's English Fern ............................................................. English Fern."......................

Order placed.

56 2,538
 04-02-2015, 03:20 AM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
(04-01-2015, 06:03 PM)Nero Wrote:
(04-01-2015, 03:13 PM)BlueEyedSon Wrote: "Penhaligon's English Fern ............................................................. English Fern."......................

Order placed.

LOL

I might be tempted as well.  I have been avoiding this because I find the scent of the Harris sandalwood aftershave pretty gross.

17 437
 04-02-2015, 05:59 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I have never used the AS but I heard the soap is very similar. I have both EF and DRH Sandalwood, and unfortunately I cannot make the same correlation.

DRH is an excellent sandlewood scent for me, and it is not a pure sandlewood as there are definitely other things going on there that add complexity. A huge bonus for me is that it is one of the very few DRH soaps that don't irritate my skin. However, I just took a side by side sniff this morning and while I might see similarities, they are more different than similar to my nose. Definitely a prime example of YMMV..

34 1,628
 04-02-2015, 06:19 AM
User Info
YMMV is correct. I really enjoy my DRH Sandalwood tallow soap and the aftershave splash. Wonderful take on sandalwood.

39 3,867
 04-02-2015, 06:26 AM
User Info
(04-02-2015, 06:19 AM)primotenore Wrote: YMMV is correct. I really enjoy my DRH Sandalwood tallow soap and the aftershave splash. Wonderful take on sandalwood.

Likewise, Primo. I adore this scent.
I certainly don't get any similarity to the EF.

31 5,277
 04-02-2015, 01:54 PM
User Info
(04-02-2015, 03:20 AM)Lando Wrote: I have been avoiding this because I find the scent of the Harris sandalwood aftershave pretty gross.

I also really didn't care for the aftershave scent, but I like the shaving soap. It's been such a long time since I had the aftershave, but my memory of it was that it was very sweet and very strong, both of which weren't things I wanted. I definitely see the family resemblance between the shaving soap and the aftershave, but the shaving soap is a lot more subdued and not nearly as sweet, which is good for me. 

It must be a YMMV on the connection to EF. I asked my wife to do a sniff test and she also thought they were very similar. Oh well ... 

0 7
 04-02-2015, 02:47 PM
User Info
Wasn't crazy about Harris sandalwood compared to my AoS. Completely different scent and much too light.

11 230
 04-02-2015, 06:27 PM
  • JaDo
  • Dallas, TX
User Info
I think they are surprisingly similar.  The other day I was wearing EF and kept thinking of how much it smelled like Harris sandalwood ( I have the cream and AS)

6 235
 04-05-2015, 05:45 AM
User Info
(04-02-2015, 06:27 PM)JaDo Wrote: I think they are surprisingly similar.  The other day I was wearing EF and kept thinking of how much it smelled like Harris sandalwood ( I have the cream and AS)

Yes! At least I'm not the only one to smell a similarity ... 

0 7
 04-15-2015, 07:38 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
I have received my DRH Sandalwood soap/bowl and I agree. The first thought that crossed my mind is "that smells like English Fern". Not identical obviously , but I detect a lot of similarities. IMO it smells more like the EF cologne than the EF soap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

56 2,538
 05-23-2015, 11:17 PM
User Info
(04-15-2015, 07:38 PM)Nero Wrote: I have received my DRH Sandalwood soap/bowl and I agree. The first thought that crossed my mind is "that smells like English Fern". Not identical obviously , but I detect a lot of similarities. IMO it smells more like the EF cologne than the EF soap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would go as far as to say that the shaving cream smells exactly like the EF cologne, at least to my nose.

157 1,016
 05-24-2015, 07:56 AM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
The openings (which is the spicy part) of these scents are very very similar.
After a minute, they tend to go their own way. EF becomes more green and soapy, while DRH Sandalwood goes to more deep woods.
IMO!

56 2,538